Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your take on charities who want your bank details...

+5
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
Lyric Todkill
Natasha Whittam
Michael Bolton
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

and to set up a direct debit?

I had the NSPCC phone me up in the week. They said could they have a couple of minutes of my time and I said well ok. Then this woman started banging on about a story of an abused child and asking me questions. After about 5 minutes she said would I be able to make a donation of £10 a month through my bank? I said £10 a month? That's crazy, I wouldn't ever walk past a charity collector and empty my wallet out for them. I said no, I would be happy to put a couple of quid in a bucket if I was stopped in the street but I am not giving that sort of money. Then she said could I make £5 a month? I said no chance. She was then making me feel guilty saying these children have nothing and its only a small amount to save children.

I think its absolutely shocking these tactics from charities, wanting bank account details and a direct debit going out each month. Fucking arseholes. Is anyone else really annoyed by this? Does anyone else have experiences of this?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't get phonecalls asking to set up a DD, but I do get harassed by those wankers in town/city centres who want the same thing. I hate them. I have started being really rude to them, mainly because they're not doing it for the charity, they're doing it for themselves. Parasites.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I don't like it and would never subscribe

Unless I wanted to

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The 'nickname' I use for those people who stop you in the street is 'chuggers' (charity muggers). I worked near Market Street in Manchester for a few years and it was often like running a gauntlet to avoid them. Bolton is getting bad for it now, I don't know the street names, but that part that connects Deansgate to the town hall square via the old TSB and the Crown & Cushion is bad. I would never give my bank details to someone who phoned me on a cold call or who stopped me in the street in a million years.

I resent being 'sold' to in general. I resent when people use fear or guilt to sell even more, so you can imagine I have a bit of a problem with these practises. If I am unfortunate enough to be watching TV when one of the charity appeals is aired, I mute the sound.

I do however have a couple of charity direct debits, but it was my choice to set them up. Cancer Research UK and RSPCA. They're 3 pounds each per month. I think a private individual donating 36 pounds a year to a charity is generous.

The only problem is Cancer Research UK keep writing to me trying to get me to increase it.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I absolutely hate those wankers who come up to you in the street.

"weeyyyy alright mate yeahhhhh haawsss it goooiann"

Piss off.

one time i had headphones on and their opening gambit was "ohhh mate what u listening too?!"

like you give a shit.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Between chuggers and general scroungers, I hated walking down Market Street in Manchester.

The absolute worst incident I can recall was being in the Arndale food court eating my lunch and this scrounging Pakistani woman was going from table to table asking people for money while they were eating their lunch. She came up to me and starting off with the opening gambit "please brother...", I told her to piss off, so she went to the next table.

I called Arndale Security and enjoyed watching them turf her out down the big escalator.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Between chuggers and general scroungers, I hated walking down Market Street in Manchester.

Take a taxi to Canal Street next time.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I hate those fuckers in the town centre who do this but I once had a guy claming to work for the RSPCA knock on my front door asking for mine and my mums bank details, saying they would take just £5 a month from our bank to help the RSPCA.

The guy had no ID what so ever, all he had was a piece of paper with the logo on it which looked dodgy as fuck. We told him no but he knocked on our door 5 times in the same weekend.

Wanker.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Take a taxi to Canal Street next time.

Why, what's in Canal Street?

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I would give them my brothers details,i cant stand him.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They came to my door a few months back with the same tactics, I said I would be happy to make a one off donation - but i'm not commiting to a regular payment.

They weren't allowed to take a one off donation - which was stupid, crying out for donations, but cant accept money.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

aaron_bwfc wrote:I hate those fuckers in the town centre who do this but I once had a guy claming to work for the RSPCA knock on my front door asking for mine and my mums bank details, saying they would take just £5 a month from our bank to help the RSPCA.

The guy had no ID what so ever, all he had was a piece of paper with the logo on it which looked dodgy as fuck. We told him no but he knocked on our door 5 times in the same weekend.

Wanker.

should have set your dog on him

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Bwfc is the only charity who have ever got my fucking bank details.

Wankers.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:They came to my door a few months back with the same tactics, I said I would be happy to make a one off donation - but i'm not commiting to a regular payment.

They weren't allowed to take a one off donation - which was stupid, crying out for donations, but cant accept money.

The same thing happened to me when the Red Cross were canvassing door to door. I make a quarterly direct debit of £25. It's not a great deal of money but it makes me feel better within myself.

I also occasionally donate to the Guide Dogs for the blind and MASH ( Manchester Action on Street Health).

I never ever donate to the Vegan society. When I am eating a pork sausage I never think about the pig.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I was in town this afternoon. Got collared in exactly the spot I described the other day, down the side of M&S, by a chugger from Shelter.

- "Have you got just a minute?"
- "No, I haven't"
- "Thanks, have a wonderful day"

Sarcastic sod.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum