Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Old buggers doing sport

+3
Norpig
boltonbonce
wanderlust
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Old buggers doing sport Empty Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 11:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As a society we're living longer - on average - and so it seems that a lot of us old buggers are still far too frisky for our own good. Not everybody is blessed with good health, but it seems that quite a few of us in our 60's and 70's just don't know when to stop.
In my case, I always thought I'd be lucky to make 60 especially after abusing my body stupid when I was younger and sure enough I had a heart attack at 49 but was lucky enough to survive it - and that my friends was many years ago now.
What that did for me was to make me grateful for every "bonus" day and determined to make the most of whatever time I've got left - so I set my stall out to do the things I love doing - eating well, drinking with friends, travelling, writing music and playing sport, especially footie.
The latter is getting trickier.
I can't manage a full 90 minutes in a "proper" game on a full sized pitch, but I can chug along in 6 or 7 a side game for hours. I am far more susceptible to injury and have broken 2 fingers and 3 toes in the last two years in addition to a torn adductor and developing gout after some 20-something twat came in horizontally with studs up on my standing leg in a league match. But none of that put's me off. I had 6 months drinking wine instead of beer until the gout subsided and still turn out for a couple of hours twice a week to show the kids how it's done.
My mate at the gym is 66 and does Iron Man/marathons and all that nonsense and whilst he's quickest in his age group around here (top 20 in the UK) he got beaten in an Iron Man event by an 80 year old last year. Personally, I hate running especially treadmill, but if you put a ball in front of me I'm like a puppy on whizz.
Anyhoo, the point of this ramble is that on Friday night we were a player short so my mate brought along his 15 year old nephew who plays at county level to make up the numbers and I realised that I was playing against someone who is 50 odd years younger than me and it made me think a) WTF am I doing? and b) who else still turns out regularly either trying to emulate the player they once were - or for the sheer love of playing the game?

Anyone mentioning walking football should be ::bigmachinegun::

2Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 12:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Banksy took up walking football, but he's not been on here for ages.
During my working life I walked twenty miles a day, so kept myself pretty fit. I payed football and cricket in my youth, and I gave up the cricket because the first team had become an old boys club, and no youngster could get a foothold in it.
I certainly wouldn't be getting back into a boxing ring like Nigel Benn. That's madness.
When I finished work, and started taking it easy, I developed knee problems, so I've started walking again, and it seems to be doing the job.
At sixty six, and with a record of mishaps not to be sneezed at, I won't be taking part in any Iron Man competitions. Indeed, tin man comps might be beyond me.
Getting up the steps to the West Stand is a job these days.
I'll stick to darts, and computer golf.

3Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 12:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:I think Banksy took up walking football, but he's not been on here for ages.
During my working life I walked twenty miles a day, so kept myself pretty fit. I payed football and cricket in my youth, and I gave up the cricket because the first team had become an old boys club, and no youngster could get a foothold in it.
I certainly wouldn't be getting back into a boxing ring like Nigel Benn. That's madness.
When I finished work, and started taking it easy, I developed knee problems, so I've started walking again, and it seems to be doing the job.
At sixty six, and with a record of mishaps not to be sneezed at, I won't be taking part in any Iron Man competitions. Indeed, tin man comps might be beyond me.
Getting up the steps to the West Stand is a job these days.
I'll stick to darts, and computer golf.
Clearly channelling your inner athlete Bonce!

4Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 12:25

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I still play footy once a week on a Monday and i am the oldest player there at 47 nearly 48. Most of the lads are in the 20's and 30's but there have been a few times when 17 and 18 year olds turn up. The standard is pretty high (apart from me) as its run by the fella who runs my sons football club.

He's an ex professional who played at City as a youth and Stoke in the reserves so he invites people he's known from that kind of background. I've played against some players who are still pro's now which is a real eye opener!

I'm by far the worst player there but i go along for the fitness and the run about really.I hear the odd grumble when i frequently misplace a pass but i still turn up and try  Very Happy

5Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I tried the javelin at school, and failed miserably. I remember the teacher roundly admonishing me with the words, "This isn't Rorke's Drift boy.
He told me to try putting the shot, where the only things likely to be in danger were my own toes.

6Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:17

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

yeah still doing it, love it, even playing normal 5 a side rules on a Tuesday with younger lads, usually do the Walking Football twice a week, got pissed wet through on Friday but great feeling after the game.

Been doing it for nearly 4 years now and i'd certainly recommend it.

7Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nice to see you back on here Banksy  Very Happy

8Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Nice to see you back on here Banksy  Very Happy
I second that. I don't think I'd be able to resist the impulse to run. I assume running would result in a free kick.

9Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:30

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thanks Norpig, i've been keeping a eye on things through the Doom and Gloom of the last few seasons, hopefully things can only get better in time,i like the new regime at Bolton now, even bought a couple of Season Tickets  Very Happy

10Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:32

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banks of the Croal wrote:yeah still doing it, love it, even playing normal 5 a side rules on a Tuesday with younger lads, usually do the Walking Football twice a week, got pissed wet through on Friday but great feeling after the game.

5 a side - great, but walking football? I just don't get it. Goes against every instinct in my body. I mean if the ball is there to be won you just can't pile in and get it even if it's just a couple of yards away?

Old buggers doing sport 2Q==

11Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I start off running but after an hour i probably am walking anyway  Very Happy

12Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:37

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Norpig wrote:Nice to see you back on here Banksy  Very Happy
I second that. I don't think I'd be able to resist the impulse to run. I assume running would result in a free kick.

Thanks bonce, yeah free kick for running, i only play for the fun of it and to keep fit and active and have met lots of good people.

Packed in doing competitions now, just the odd friendly does me now.

13Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're never too old. Tommy Docherty, 91, recently said he's still available. Shocked

Watch out Ole.

14Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:45

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
Banks of the Croal wrote:yeah still doing it, love it, even playing normal 5 a side rules on a Tuesday with younger lads, usually do the Walking Football twice a week, got pissed wet through on Friday but great feeling after the game.

5 a side - great, but walking football? I just don't get it. Goes against every instinct in my body. I mean if the ball is there to be won you just can't pile in and get it even if it's just a couple of yards away?

Old buggers doing sport 2Q==
 Hi Lusty, lot of people say that but most of those that try it come back for more also it depends on how strict the Refs are.

Competitions the Ref has to be strict, you can get sin binned, give a pen away or even sent off.

15Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can you cross and head the ball Banksy?

16Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 13:56

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Can you cross and head the ball Banksy?

You can cross it, below head height tho, no heading allowed.

Anyway you don't want to be heading a ball at our age bonce  Shocked

17Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 14:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banks of the Croal wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Can you cross and head the ball Banksy?

You can cross it, below head height tho, no heading allowed.

Anyway you don't want to be heading a ball at our age bonce  Shocked
Don't think this walking football lark would suit Parky.

18Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 14:10

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

it can get a bit tasty, played in this game last year, one of our players gets sent off. sorry posted the video three times, forgot how to do them, we actually finished up getting two players sent off  Very Happy

Last edited by Sluffy on Mon Sep 30 2019, 15:34; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : posted same video three times)

19Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 14:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's as funny as f*** Banksy!

20Old buggers doing sport Empty Re: Old buggers doing sport Mon Sep 30 2019, 15:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wearing a Blackburn shirt is just asking for trouble.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum