Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+19
summercummings
Bollotom2014
Norpig
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
Leeds_Trotter
y2johnny
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
okocha
Cajunboy
wanderlust
karlypants
Angry Dad
finlaymcdanger
boltonbonce
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 30 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 50]

201Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 01:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:The hysteria is caused as at the moment the mortality rate is much higher than seasonal flu & there is no cure/immunisation from it.

Is it though, didn't the government say there were probably 10,000 cases in the UK, but most just thought they had a cold or regular flu?

That would make the mortality rate well under 1%.

Whilst I totally understand the Government's need to maintain calm in order to prevent services being overrun/general panic, I think it's slightly irresponsible to come out with statements like this given that the numbers don't stack up with the Government's own figures on infection rates or their budgetary provision of £30 billion.

Perhaps it would help if they gave some information about their criteria for testing because to date they have tested around 25000 people of which approximately 2.5% are infected. If that's representative of a population of nearly 70 million then there could be up to 1,750,000 people infected so it would be interesting to see how they came up with a figure of just 10k - unless of course it's just more spin.

Equally does the budget imply that the Government intend to spend £30 billion on supporting 10k people? Even if it was ten times that number of infected people it would equate to £300,000.00 per person.

I don't believe for one minute that the whole truth is coming out about this covid19 thing. I don't know what's really going on but for something that preys on the old and weak - as flu viruses do - it's causing a helluva stink and moreover a rebalancing of world economies as the markets crash.

Today the FTSE 100 had it's worst day since Black Friday in 1987 and it could get worse.

If there is a conspiracy theory to be had, it seems to be targeted at old people because even if the virus may not be killing us off in droves just yet, it will take donkey's years to recover from the financial impact and the biggest losses are in the pensions and savings that old people depend upon.

I don't actually believe that the virus was made in a laboratory and intentionally released to solve the problem of ageing populations but with my level of cynicism I'm not quite ready to rule it out either.
:bomb: :biggrin:

202Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 01:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Currently there are 3 confirmed cases in Bolton, 2 in the Shetland Isles and NONE in all of Norfolk, the 4th largest county in the UK. I suspect it's because they don't like strangers.

203Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 07:51

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:The hysteria is caused as at the moment the mortality rate is much higher than seasonal flu & there is no cure/immunisation from it.

Is it though, didn't the government say there were probably 10,000 cases in the UK, but most just thought they had a cold or regular flu?

That would make the mortality rate well under 1%.

Correct!

People should listen to the experts talking instead of all this social media nonsense.

Also, immunisation has apparently been developed for it also BUT it can't be used until extensive clinical trials have been completed which could take the rest of the year.

Coronavirus: How close are we to a vaccine?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497

Experts like the World health Organisation?

WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/who-says-coronavirus-death-rate-is-3point4percent-globally-higher-than-previously-thought.html

204Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 09:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Experts like the World health Organisation?

WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/who-says-coronavirus-death-rate-is-3point4percent-globally-higher-than-previously-thought.html

You for real?

That item is ten days out of date and even then it states that mortality rates very quite widely from country to country depending on the quality of the health care service where it is treated.

As of yesterday Britain had 10 deaths from 29,764 confirmed cases - a mortality rate of 0.00033598%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51845861

So who do you thinks total is nearer the mark, our own experts or someone from nearly two weeks ago talking generally on incomplete data from on all around the world at that time?

Every undeserved death is a tragedy, I'm not making light of that but I trust our own health experts to know what they are talking about rather than some out of date generalised statement from the well meaning WHO.

205Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 10:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting moves from the European Central Bank and the major European countries when the markets reopened this morning - they have prohibited short selling to reverse the decline which will stop billionaire hedge funders cashing in at the expense of European economies (like George Soros did to the UK in '91)

206Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 10:21

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reports that there will be an announcement at 11am that all games are being shelved until the weekend of April 4.

207Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 10:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton-based WEPA UK "well-equipped" to cope with demand

A Bolton-based paper supplier says it is "well-equipped" to deal with the increase in demand for toilet rolls amid the coronavirus outbreak.

People have been panic buying toilet paper ­— among other goods ­— after Public Health England urged members of the public to "plan ahead" for if they had to self-isolate for a couple of weeks.

Now some supermarkets have placed certain limits on what shoppers can buy in a single shop to ensure fairness.

Mike Docker, managing director of WEPA UK, said that it is prepared to deal with the current "spike in demand" for loo roll.

He said: "The ongoing coronavirus situation means we have seen a large spike in demand over the last week and sales continue to be very strong.

“Our excellent supply chain team has met all our sales orders so far and our manufacturing is geared up to meet these higher volumes.

“We are continually monitoring the situation very carefully and are studying sales patterns of the experiences our colleagues had in Italy a number of weeks ago to anticipate how this will develop.

“Our careful planning helps us to respond to any spike in demand for our products. So, while the current situation around coronavirus is highly unusual, we are well equipped to deal with it."

Mr Docker added: "When there is a spike in demand from consumers for a product, we work closely with our retail partners and distribution network to manage it effectively.

"This can involve calling on our logistics teams to mobilise more transport in order to get products where they need to be, quickly and efficiently. At WEPA UK, we have close links with our retailers, which enable us to monitor consumer demand in real-time. We receive daily updates on how products are selling and broader consumer habits. Using this data, we work jointly with them to forecast when to dial up or down production.

“We have taken all steps to keep a consistent supply working 24 hours a day, producing around two million toilet rolls daily.”

The majority of supermarkets are now limiting anti-bacterial gels to two per customer. The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said there is "absolutely no reason" for the public to panic buy.

Sourtce

208Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just been to my local supermarket, they were completely out of stock of handwash, and very low on bog roll.

How does this happen? This has been going on for weeks, how long does it take to make extra handwash?

Thankfully, the shelves were full of Pepsi, Twirls & Vaseline.

209Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:31

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Manufacturers of hand gel must be rubbing their hands together with all this demand  Very Happy

210Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:35

Natasha Whittam wrote:Just been to my local supermarket, they were completely out of stock of handwash, and very low on bog roll.

How does this happen? This has been going on for weeks, how long does it take to make extra handwash?

Agreed, same thing round me. Selfish, panicky arseholes.

211Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Agreed, same thing round me.

What do you use your Vaseline for?

212Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:53

Wrestling toilet roll hoarders.

213Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 11:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Wrestling toilet roll hoarders.

Very Happy Fair play.

214Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 12:01

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:Just been to my local supermarket, they were completely out of stock of handwash, and very low on bog roll.

Agreed, same thing round me. Selfish, panicky arseholes.
If they"ve  got panicky arseholes, then I can understand they need to stock up with loo rolls.

We need to be kind to one another.

215Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 12:12

Not kind to run to the shops and grab as much as you can is it?

216Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 13:56

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

You for real?

That item is ten days out of date and even then it states that mortality rates very quite widely from country to country depending on the quality of the health care service where it is treated.

As of yesterday Britain had 10 deaths from 29,764 confirmed cases - a mortality rate of 0.00033598%

So who do you thinks total is nearer the mark, our own experts or someone from nearly two weeks ago talking generally on incomplete data from on all around the world at that time?

Every undeserved death is a tragedy, I'm not making light of that but I trust our own health experts to know what they are talking about rather than some out of date generalised statement from the well meaning WHO.

Your stats are very wrong...you’re quoting the tested rate....596 confirmed cases according to the article
So approx 1.67% mortality rate

217Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 14:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

You for real?

Your stats are very wrong...you’re quoting the tested rate....596 confirmed cases according to the article
So approx 1.67% mortality rate

OK then, the Governments Chief Scientific Advisor states that there are five to ten thousand case already, most of which people don't even realise they have it.

If we say the total is 7,500 people with it now, with only 10 deaths so far, then that equates to a mortality rate of 0.1333%.

Still infinitely small but tragic for those poor ten people.

218Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 14:21

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

219Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 14:22

If 7,500 people do have it we don't know whether they are going to die or not at this point the deterioration could take weeks.

Pretty apparent they're still learning about this virus anyway so I don't think we're qualified to speculate over the death rate at this point. Best to leave it to the experts and follow their advice accordingly.

220Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 11 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Mar 13 2020, 14:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 30 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum