Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poundland Documentary

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poundland Documentary Empty Poundland Documentary Tue Sep 18 2012, 10:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Did anyone watch that Poundland documentary on Channel 4 last night?

Interesting stuff to be honest, it basically suggested that Poundland was ripping customers off by having deals with the major brands to produce slightly smaller sizes than you'd get in Asda or Tesco.

So while Asda were selling an 800g loaf of Warburtons bread for £1, Poundland were selling a 600g version of the same bread for £1.

Also, rather than have a standard pack of, say, 8 Kitkats they'd advertise them as 5 kitkats with 3 free to suggest the customer was getting a bargain. But in truth there had never been a 5 pack.

Completely dodgy, but are people really that stupid to fall for it? Bread has always been 800g, surely you'd notice if it was 100g lighter?

Or is it a case of dumb and dumber shopping in Poundland who are too stupid to know the difference?

2Poundland Documentary Empty Re: Poundland Documentary Tue Sep 18 2012, 11:11

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I didn't watch it but assumed it would be about millions of Chinese people producing cheap stuff in sweatshops for 2p an hour in wages etc.

3Poundland Documentary Empty Re: Poundland Documentary Tue Sep 18 2012, 11:43

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Iv'e just paid a visit to Home Bargains and I have to say, some of the stuff is cheaper than Asda. I haven't checked the weights or sizes of the items I have purchased so that is something to look forward to when I have less time.

4Poundland Documentary Empty Re: Poundland Documentary Wed Sep 19 2012, 01:14

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thought the documentary was mostly bull tbh, made to fill space. Pounland still had like 50% of their items cheaper than ASDA. ok 50% weren't but what was the show trying to prove?

That Poundland has a market strategy - Like everyone else

That Poundland needs to make a profit - Like everyone else

That Poundland sells items that can be bought cheaper elsewhere - Like everyone else

Also ASDA was constantly used as a comparison, but ASDA is also meant to be a discount store, owned by one of the largest companies in the world, hardly a fair comparison.

Is Poundland evil because it doesn't offer the lowest price for every single item it sells? The show actually annoyed me a little bit as I hope the stores sales aren't affected by it, times are hard enough without Channel 4 shows accusing businesses of evil doing when they have literally done nothing at all wrong. Obviously certain items can be bought for cheaper than a pound... just like food from M & S can be bought cheaper elsewhere, the name of the shop isn't 'Cheapestpricesanywhereland'

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum