Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Middle Classes are out of Lockdown

+2
Sluffy
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Count yourselves lucky - my nana bought the Beano for my brother, Bunty for my sister and I got....Look and Learn. TBH I read them all.
I remember Look and Learn. Our school library had piles of them. Had to be desperate to read one though.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
I remember Look and Learn. Our school library had piles of them. Had to be desperate to read one though.
Didn't you like the Trigan Empire?
The Middle Classes are out of Lockdown - Page 3 5d575fed-7b13-4b25-ab44-e6b7c94451d1

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not my cup of tea. Pop,Dick, and Harry, was more my style.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Not my cup of tea. Pop,Dick, and Harry, was more my style.
Mine too TBH Smile
Trigan Empire was the only cartoon in L&L and there weren't many laughs in it.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

We live in an `eternal now`. During the day, when you look at your watch, ask yourself " is this now? ", you will find it is. At any point in the day or night ask yourself " is this now? " you will find it is. We can think about the past or the future, but it doesnt exist. Only memories of the past and predictions of the future.
If you have a clock on your wall, that instead of the numbers one to twelve on it, if it instead said " now " instead of the number, whenever you looked at it, it would say " now ", and it would be correct.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:We live in an `eternal now`. During the day, when you look at your watch, ask yourself " is this now? ", you will find it is. At any point in the day or night ask yourself " is this now? " you will find it is. We can think about the past or the future, but it doesnt exist. Only memories of the past and predictions of the future.
If you have a clock on your wall, that instead of the numbers one to twelve on it, if it instead said " now " instead of the number, whenever you looked at it, it would say " now ", and it would be correct.
Time for this then...

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

sunlight wrote:We live in an `eternal now`. During the day, when you look at your watch, ask yourself " is this now? ", you will find it is. At any point in the day or night ask yourself " is this now? " you will find it is. We can think about the past or the future, but it doesnt exist. Only memories of the past and predictions of the future.
I can see where you're coming from, and can relate to it, however, to my mind, I would be limiting my horizons to the here and now, when I know I have to look to the future in order to prepare for it.
Very interesting though.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I only use Buddhism to cope with the modern world. The part about `eternal now` is just a basics and mechanics to being able to control ones faculties in such a way that ones equanimity doesnt get blown down like a pack of cards in the slightest breeze. Meditation, and observance of the 4 noble truths and the noble eightfold path are part of the groundwork also.
In a time where mental health problems are increasing, Buddhism does work. I dont need to go further into explaining it. I use the mechanics of it to stay happy in an increasingly adverse world.
Anyone who has had burnouts through working too hard would find it invaluable.

It is important to me, that as well as being mindful, that I also have moments where I can be silly for a while too. It is a good balance.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
Time for this then...

Meditation is very powerful. It takes practise to be able to keep doing it. I have never known anything so powerful in terms of seeing reality.
Its not everyones cup of tea. I find it is extremely valid in todays world, where everything is too fast.
Conversely it is equally important to be silly. ( not at the same time though ).

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I've never tried meditation as such. I've tried to relax, etc, but to think about nothing (I surmise), is very difficult for me. I'm assuming from what you said, that you really need training or advice to get into it properly.
I hope you don't mind me asking these questions.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I've never tried meditation as such. I've tried to relax, etc, but to think about nothing (I surmise), is very difficult for me. I'm assuming from what you said, that you really need training or advice to get into it properly.
There are lots of different meditations which suit different people - some are spiritual and some less so. Personally, I'm easily distracted by external noise so I occasionally use a technique that involves putting your thumbs into your ears (fingers forward)then twisting (fingers vertical) so that it blocks out all sound. You need to be relaxed, comfortable and in a safe place. Think of your mind as a parrot sitting on your shoulder, squawking in your ear - meditation is how to knock it off and if you can manage to clear your thoughts for a little while it has a very positive effect for the whole day - but it takes practice and commitment to get it right. It ain't easy if your head is going at full pelt, but the thing is the more you practice the easier it gets to switch off your mind. And that's very useful sometimes.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:I've never tried meditation as such. I've tried to relax, etc, but to think about nothing (I surmise), is very difficult for me. I'm assuming from what you said, that you really need training or advice to get into it properly.
Concentrate on your breath going into your nose. Every time you find your mind has wandered bring your concentration back to your breath going into your nose.
When you have thoughts that you cant control, coming into your mind, observe them as though they are seperate from yourself. Dont fight them, watch them, and if you wander, bring your concentration back to your breath going into your nose.

I have been attracted to Buddhism all my life. I have had training also.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
There are lots of different meditations which suit different people - some are spiritual and some less so. Personally, I'm easily distracted by external noise so I occasionally use a technique that involves putting your thumbs into your ears (fingers forward)then twisting (fingers vertical) so that it blocks out all sound. You need to be relaxed, comfortable and in a safe place. Think of your mind as a parrot sitting on your shoulder, squawking in your ear - meditation is how to knock it off and if you can manage to clear your thoughts for a little while it has a very positive effect for the whole day - but it takes practice and commitment to get it right. It ain't easy if your head is going at full pelt, but the thing is the more you practice the easier it gets to switch off your mind. And that's very useful sometimes.

Noise doesnt matter in meditaion. If the phone rings, ley it ring. Dont think of it as a phone ringing, it is just a noise, dont give it a name.
Some people when they listen to an LP record with scratches on it, they get annoyed at the scratches while they are listening to it. If they are listening to an LP record that isnt scratched but in front of a log fire that is crackling and popping all the time during them listening, it doesnt bother them!!
If cars are going past outside, listen to the noise, dont label the noise as a name, just listen to it, its not a car it is a noise.

These are some basics of meditation.

Last edited by sunlight on Fri Jul 03 2020, 11:58; edited 1 time in total

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

You can sit in a chair if it helps, you dont need to do the cross legged postion. Make yourself comfortable, but keep your back straight.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:You can sit in a chair if it helps, you dont need to do the cross legged postion. Make yourself comfortable, but keep your back straight.
When I need to relax it's usually a toss up between meditation and medication.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
When I need to relax it's usually a toss up between meditation and medication.
Sleep is the best meditation.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

and medication apparently.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Sunlight, I might try out your method, but as for the squawking parrot, I think I would replace it with the wife  Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Sunlight, I might try out your method, but as for the squawking parrot, I think I would replace it with the wife  Very Happy
If you want something spiritual to focus on and you're a theist of whatever flavour, the thumbs in the ear thing works well for cutting out the squawking wife etc.
You know you can hear the sea when you hold a shell to your ear?
When you block out external sound with the thumbs trick the only sound you hear is sound of the Creator inside you like the thrum of a nuclear power plant. For lo! The Creator is in everyone allegedly.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think if Waitrose did a delivery to my house they would sneer at it. There are no petit bourgeois aspirations. Happen the delivery driver would wince at the gas fire, even if I ordered truffle oil to impress them. Liquid soap is a no no, though I do use only mild soap.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum