Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why is fifa (computer game) not a sport but Chess is?

+2
Hipster_Nebula
jayjay23
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

For that matter, why are (some) computer games in general not classed as sports?

People consider chess to be a sport - it is even played at Olympic level and is classed as a sport of the mind as opposed to a physical sport.

I would argue that playing Fifa is more of a sport than chess. Who is to say that just because the end product is played out on a screen that the achievement is any less skillful than something taking place in the "real world".

Fifa not only requires skill and use of the mind but also hand eye co-ordination, manual dexterity and concentration. What makes Fifa less of a sport than say archery, shooting or motor racing?

Should computer games be taken seriously as sports or is there something that separates them from traditional sports? Or is it just that? Tradition.

No FIFA is not a sport and should never be considered one.

Archery shooting and motor racing are all physical activities, FIFA is not. Any Obese slob could play FIFA, I think Olympians should look like Olympians.

For what it's worth I don't see why dressage and that are Olympic sports but unfortunately I don't make the decisions.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There are video game world cups and such.

If you think you're good enough go to one.

the last Fifa i got was Fifa 11.

The best fifa ever is Fifa 98 road to the world cup.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Fifa is more of a sport than Chess - at least a certain degree of dexterity and agility is required, if only of the fingers and thumbs.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

For what it's worth I don't see why dressage and that are Olympic sports but unfortunately I don't make the decisions.

You've clearly never riden a horse.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I once won the Kick Off 2 World Cup.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

You've clearly never riden a horse.

Fair point I haven't so it's probably not fair for me to comment. From an observers point of view though I would say it looks like a load of bollocks.

And I may be wrong, but I don't think chess is an Olympic sport?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It bores me but I'm sure it takes a lot of time and dedication to train a horse.

Chess isn't classed as a sport, but at least Chess is totally down to a players intellect and tactics. On FIFA you can improve your chances of winning by being Real Madrid, give the ball to Ronaldo and he can outrun every player. A pawn in chess cannot do this.

Hipster_Nebula wrote:It bores me but I'm sure it takes a lot of time and dedication to train a horse.

Im sure it does, but it also takes a lot of time to train a dog, or become a quality darts player. I wouldn't allow Crufts Champions or Phil 'The Power' Taylor into the Olympics. Suppose it always has been though and they can't get rid of it now.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

OneOinCoyle wrote:...On FIFA you can improve your chances of winning by being Real Madrid, give the ball to Ronaldo and he can outrun every player. A pawn in chess cannot do this.

Unless you are playing my team with De Jong, in which case I will break Ronaldo's leg and/or step in his chest.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

No fifa isn't a sport, I am a huge fan of fifa but would never consider it to be a sport. Chess is a very tactical game, one which I am sure coyle would be fucked if he ever played it.

Speaking of Fifa, anyone downloaded the new fifa demo? Looks exactly the same as this years to be honest.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I haven't seen it yet but I don't expect any earth-shaking changes in graphics. The ingame changes will probably become noticeable after a while of playing.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

True, it's out friday I think but I don't think I will be buying it straight away.

The PES demo is aweful aswell.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

PES fanboys on my other regular forum have been suggesting that this is PES' year, but I always prefer Fifa.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

OneOinCoyle wrote:Chess isn't classed as a sport, but at least Chess is totally down to a players intellect and tactics. On FIFA you can improve your chances of winning by being Real Madrid, give the ball to Ronaldo and he can outrun every player. A pawn in chess cannot do this.

Would you class motor racing as a sport? There are different standards of car competing against each other, some which can clearly outrun others.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

bwfc1874 wrote:No FIFA is not a sport and should never be considered one.

Archery shooting and motor racing are all physical activities, FIFA is not. Any Obese slob could play FIFA, I think Olympians should look like Olympians.

Would you deny that darts or pool or snooker was a sport because of their lack of physicality?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Darts, pool and snooker are more of a skill than a sport. Likewise, chess involves no real physical activity so I wouldn't class a decent chess player as a great sportsman.
Squash is a very physically demanding game yet it has no place in the Olympics. that's why I don't think darts and squash should be included.

I'm now waiting for Wii to be recognised as a sport.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Well, funny you should mention Wii. Because many arguments to say what is and what is not a sport are based around physical activity being involved. Now I am not saying that a Wii is accurate enough (yet) to be able to fully differentiate between skill levels of the players but one day it could be as accurate as sports in the real world (although admittedly different to the real thing still). Would it then be classified as a genuine sport to take someone on by playing on Wii?

Or is there something just plain wrong about it - or is it just our biased traditional preconceptions about sports vs electronic/simulated games?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum