Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Post your unpopular BWFC opinions?(past and present)

+4
xmiles
boltonbonce
Norpig
LeeScott
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LeeScott

David Ngog
David Ngog

Can be anything
I will start
I rated Daniel Braaten

Liam Trotter on his day was one of the best midfielder's we have had since 2012

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I secretly liked Phil Parkinson.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I always preferred the white hot days and that era over any of the Prem years.

Welcome to Lee by the way  Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

oh and ALF was the best striker we've had since Supa John and Andy Walker  Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:oh and ALF was the best striker we've had since Supa John and Andy Walker  Very Happy
Shocked

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You know my love for ALF is still strong Boncey  Laughing

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:You know my love for ALF is still strong Boncey  Laughing
I'd have him back now in a heartbeat.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I felt and still feel Owen Coyle was enormously unlucky in the relegation season. Even before it started we had a crippling injury list and no money to replace the likes of Lee and Holden so we wound up playing with a patched up squad. Add in that we played 5 of the previous season's top 6 in our opening 7 games and it was little wonder we got to the 19 game mark with just 9 points.

Post Christmas with Lee and several others back we improved, taking 27 points from the second half of the season. Had we been able to match that in the 1st half we'd have finished on 54 points and in eighth position. That was enough for me to feel Owen was heading in the right direction and we should stick by him but it became clear in the first five games of the next season he didn't have support from many of the fans and perhaps had lost the dressing room too.

But I stand by my belief that a lot of what happened was beyond Owen's control because so much money had been thrown away by Megson and the debt was so high that he couldn't possibly build a Premiership quality squad with the depth needed to compensate for things like injuries and suspensions. We had a good starting 11 but if we lost any of them we were in trouble and at one point Owen was without no less than 6 of them for weeks and of course Lee and Holden in particular were out of action for months.

We shall now wait for sluffy to implode Very Happy

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sordell might have kept us up if Coyle had actually used him.

Mind you Coyle also signed Ngog - the biggest waste of money since we signed Len Cantello.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

xmiles wrote:Sordell might have kept us up if Coyle had actually used him.

Mind you Coyle also signed Ngog - the biggest waste of money since we signed Len Cantello.
I agree on Sordell but to be fair the lad was and still is suffering from depression. Trust me when I say that really is a hard thing to deal with at the best of times and that season was definitely not the best of times for anyone at BWFC.

As to Ngog I rated him when he was signed and was disappointed by how it turned out but I don't blame Owen for signing him. Given his reputation and previous performances I would have signed Ngog then myself.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I felt and still feel Owen Coyle was enormously unlucky in the relegation season. Even before it started we had a crippling injury list and no money to replace the likes of Lee and Holden so we wound up playing with a patched up squad. Add in that we played 5 of the previous season's top 6 in our opening 7 games and it was little wonder we got to the 19 game mark with just 9 points.

Post Christmas with Lee and several others back we improved, taking 27 points from the second half of the season. Had we been able to match that in the 1st half we'd have finished on 54 points and in eighth position. That was enough for me to feel Owen was heading in the right direction and we should stick by him but it became clear in the first five games of the next season he didn't have support from many of the fans and perhaps had lost the dressing room too.

But I stand by my belief that a lot of what happened was beyond Owen's control because so much money had been thrown away by Megson and the debt was so high that he couldn't possibly build a Premiership quality squad with the depth needed to compensate for things like injuries and suspensions. We had a good starting 11 but if we lost any of them we were in trouble and at one point Owen was without no less than 6 of them for weeks and of course Lee and Holden in particular were out of action for months.

We shall now wait for sluffy to implode Very Happy

That is certainly an unpopular opinion peter!

Sure Coyle had some bad luck and the loss of Holden was massive but he didn't spend what money he had very well in the transfer market: Ngog (£4m), Sordell (£3m) and Mears (£1.5m) for example.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
I agree on Sordell but to be fair the lad was and still is suffering from depression. Trust me when I say that really is a hard thing to deal with at the best of times and that season was definitely not the best of times for anyone at BWFC.

As to Ngog I rated him when he was signed and was disappointed by how it turned out but I don't blame Owen for signing him. Given his reputation and previous performances I would have signed Ngog then myself.

I think I remember being a bit underwhelmed at the news when we signed Ngog but in fairness that might be influenced by hindsight. Smile

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was very puzzled by his lack of performance with us and I think if Owen should be blamed for anything it's for that failure to bring out the best in Ngog. As to Mears well 1.5 million was hardly a massive fee and he'd seemed pretty solid at Burnley.

I've already mentioned Sordell but I'll just add that I feel the club could and should have supported Marvin better than they did. They effectively made him appear to be some spoilt brat instead of shielding him from the press and fan reaction to his comments about missing London. What made that worse in my eyes was the fact we'd seen the same thing happen the previous winter with the likes of Trott and Trescothick who both wound up having to stop playing for England but the ECB and their respective counties did a fine job of supporting, shielding and helping them.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I was very puzzled by his lack of performance with us and I think if Owen should be blamed for anything it's for that failure to bring out the best in Ngog. As to Mears well 1.5 million was hardly a massive fee and he'd seemed pretty solid at Burnley.

I've already mentioned Sordell but I'll just add that I feel the club could and should have supported Marvin better than they did. They effectively made him appear to be some spoilt brat instead of shielding him from the press and fan reaction to his comments about missing London. What made that worse in my eyes was the fact we'd seen the same thing happen the previous winter with the likes of Trott and Trescothick who both wound up having to stop playing for England but the ECB and their respective counties did a fine job of supporting, shielding and helping them.

I agree with you about Sordell. The club handled that very badly.

I always thought Coyle panicked and bought Sordell at the last moment because he couldn't get anyone else and then realised he wasn't a player he knew how to use.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think there's some truth to that xmiles but I also feel that Sordell's problems meant there probably wasn't an effective way to use him at that time. Personally I think Sordell's a sad case of a very good player who was deeply affected by circumstances he could neither control or be blamed for.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

One Saturday night in The Flag I told Jimmy Phillips “Mark Patterson was the best player on the pitch today”. He replied “you don’t know anything about football”

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:I always preferred the white hot days and that era over any of the Prem years.
I’m 100% with you on this, Norpig. My most enjoyable years as a Wanderers fan.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I watch a lot of football - perhaps too much - and I get quite excited when we sign certain players, especially ones who I think have the potential to go on and do great things. But, obviously with potential some don't make it. I thought Marcus Alonso was going to be the dogs' for us but got roundly slated off by Nat in particular for suggesting that although he couldn't defend for toffee at the time, he could cause chaos going forward. I thought Gary Cahill had what it takes - one of many decent Megson signings - but he kept f***** things up until he got the steadying influence of Sam Ricketts beside him. One that I was so-so about was Rodrigo - Leeds' record signing - we'll see if he destroys the Premiership but I still can't see it despite his excellent touch.

There are so many that I thought if we can just keep going this team/player will be good/great one day... but we've been short on patience and trigger happy with managers which has cost us continuity - so in reality we'll never know whether or not unpopular opinions might have been correct.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:Sordell might have kept us up if Coyle had actually used him.

No. Not since Cantello. Since Dean Holdsworth maybe.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought Borgetti was going to do the business for us but he only scored in about 23% of the games he played for us which weren't many - he had touch and instinct. And worse still I couldn't believe it when we signed Super Mario - the world's most prolific striker - only for him, like Sordell, to be suffering from mental health problems.
I advocated both at the time - I believed in them - but neither could hold it together.

PS. Turns out Super Mario continued his decline after leaving us playing wherever he could get a game, eventually becoming a Brazilian politician sacked for using Government cars for drug dealing. Whereas Jared is a respected football commentator on ESPN.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum