Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - Pfizer vaccine tests shows 90% success rate

+3
Sluffy
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The coronavirus vaccine being developed by Pfizer and BioNTech has been found to be 90% effective in preventing people from getting the virus, it has been confirmed.

Phase 3 of Pfizer's trial involved 43,538 participants. They received two doses of either the immunisation or a placebo, with 90% protected from the virus within 28 days of having their jabs.

Only 94 people who took part in the trial developed coronavirus and no serious safety concerns were reported, the US pharmaceutical firm said on Monday.

"Today is a great day for science and humanity. The first set of results from our Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trial provides the initial evidence of our vaccine's ability to prevent COVID-19," said Pfizer chairman and chief executive Dr Albert Bourla.

"With today's news, we are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis.

"While we are all in the midst of a second wave and many of us in lockdown, we appreciate even more how important this milestone is on our path towards ending this pandemic and for all of us to regain a sense of normality," he added.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-pfizer-vaccine-found-to-be-90-effective-in-great-day-for-science-and-humanity-12128452

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sounds positive but vaccines normally take years to develop so still have some reservations. Since i work for the NHS i have a feeling we will be expected to have it so t sure how i feel about it yet.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Sounds positive but vaccines normally take years to develop so still have some reservations. Since i work for the NHS i have a feeling we will be expected to have it so t sure how i feel about it yet.

Think you need to read this bit first if you're going to get some!

However there are logistical challenges, as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.

There are also questions about how long immunity lasts and the companies have not presented a breakdown of the vaccine's effectiveness in different age groups.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Covid antibodies die in a matter of weeks anyway.
The new Danish strain attacks antibodies - further reducing resistance. It's like getting AIDS and pneumonia at the same time.
I only hope it protects 90% of the vulnerable and not just healthy 20 year olds.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Think you need to read this bit first if you're going to get some!

However there are logistical challenges, as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.

There are also questions about how long immunity lasts and the companies have not presented a breakdown of the vaccine's effectiveness in different age groups.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105
We do have a couple of minus 80 freezers for trials but we'd need a lot more than that i would think!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is absolutely brilliant news. Well done to the scientists and the people who took part in the trial.

If Norpig is still alive 3 months after having the vaccine, I'll take it myself.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not taking it. I might turn peculiar.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:This is absolutely brilliant news. Well done to the scientists and the people who took part in the trial.

If Norpig is still alive 3 months after having the vaccine, I'll take it myself.
I'll take one for the team, it can't be any worse than all the recreationals i took as a younger man  Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
I'll take one for the team, it can't be any worse than all the recreationals i took as a younger man  Very Happy
Hero! If you're the volunteer guinea pig, don't forget to give Mrs Norpig your log in details so she can get back to us with the coroner's report findings.
Just in case like... Smile

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So the official UK Covid death toll has now passed the 50,000 mark - a grim milestone but moreover it's rising again daily.
The Pfizer vaccine is being promoted as a panacea by both the media and government so am I missing something here?
My understanding is that the whole  idea of a vaccine is to give you a small dose of part of the virus's structure which will cause you to create antibodies which will fight off future attacks.
But only last week research was published that demonstrates that the antibodies stay around for just a few weeks so if that's the case, what is the value of a vaccine other than a glorified PR exercise to ease people's minds? And make billions for Pfizer obviously.
What am I missing here?
Worse still, the Danish mink mutation attacks the production of antibodies in humans so the question is whether or not a vaccine is the right approach anyway?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:So the official UK Covid death toll has now passed the 50,000 mark - a grim milestone but moreover it's rising again daily.
The Pfizer vaccine is being promoted as a panacea by both the media and government so am I missing something here?
My understanding is that the whole  idea of a vaccine is to give you a small dose of part of the virus's structure which will cause you to create antibodies which will fight off future attacks.
But only last week research was published that demonstrates that the antibodies stay around for just a few weeks so if that's the case, what is the value of a vaccine other than a glorified PR exercise to ease people's minds? And make billions for Pfizer obviously.
What am I missing here?
Worse still, the Danish mink mutation attacks the production of antibodies in humans so the question is whether or not a vaccine is the right approach anyway?
Think I've got an answer to the first part of this question. This article  by virologist Angela Rasmussen suggests that whilst Covid antibodies decline they do so to a base level as once the virus is gone they are no longer needed - but when we are reinfected they can quickly produce antibodies again. If true, that's hopeful.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The UK has bought 100 million doses of the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine and I was wondering what your view of this is, given that it doesn't claim the same efficacy as the others? Currently they are saying that it's 62 to 90% effective - but it is cheaper as the development has been done on a not-for-profit basis and Astra's CEO claims they don't want to make a profit on selling it. Plus it can be stored in a regular fridge which makes distribution easier. 
But the Russian Sputnik5 vaccine can also be stored in a fridge and claims 94% efficacy.
Is this just a matter of national pride or reticence to overstate the case on behalf of AZ?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I read that the vaccine was 70% but could be tweaked to get up to 90%. From my point of view i know what kind of company Pfizer are and they won't be doing this for the greater good i can guarantee that!

Also the -70 storage is difficult for Hospitals and GP's as most places won't have these kind of freezers in place and cost a fortune as well if lots need to be bought. We have a couple in our Pharmacy for various clinical trials being done here but we would need a lot more to vaccinate all our staff and patients if that was how it was to be done.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I'm not taking it. I might turn peculiar.
Probably too late for you.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
Probably too late for you.
Harsh, but fair. silent

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum