Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham

+7
karlypants
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Norpig
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sat 16 Jan - 23:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Cheltenham Town

Eoin Doyle's ninth goal of the season rescued a point for Bolton Wanderers after Cheltenham Town threatened to steal victory.

The Irishman popped up to fire home from close range with just four minutes of the match remaining to cancel out Alfie May’s opener.

In truth, Wanderers should have been home and dry early in the contest after arguably their best opening 45 minutes of the season saw them create a whole host of gilt-edged chances.

But a defensive lapse early into the second-half allowed May to put the visitors in front against the run of play.

Ian Evatt made three changes to his starting XI and handed debuts to new signings Zack Elbouzedi and Ben Jackson.

The duo’s loan arrivals from Lincoln City and Huddersfield Town were confirmed earlier in the day. George Thomason was recalled with Andrew Tutte, Nathan Delfouneso and Harry Brockbank dropping to the bench.

Kieran Lee was also handed his first start at the University of Bolton Stadium after making his debut in the midweek draw at Exeter City.

Town striker Alfie May was put through early on but his effort went straight into the arms of Wanderers keeper Matt Gilks.

Jackson made an important block to prevent Matty Blair's attempted cross from the right-hand side as the visitors advanced forward once again.

At the other end, Wanderers looked spritely and Antoni Sarcevic was unfortunate to see his run and cross from the right hand side come to nothing.

Jackson’s shot with the outside of his left foot went wide after Thomason found the defender in space after some great play over on the right hand side involving both Lloyd Isgrove and Thomason.

Another encouraging foray forward from the hosts culminated in Elbouzedi curling an effort high and wide after he stepped inside to lose his marker.

A speculative cross from May found Andy Williams with his back to goal on the edge of the box but his tame effort went wide of goal.

Wanderers were unfortunate not to take the lead on the half-hour mark after Ben Tozer steered Isgrove’s flick from Gethin Jones’ cross goalwards. Griffiths was wrong footed but somehow managed to get a hand on the ball to turn it away for a corner.

A stunning cross from Isgrove on the right found Doyle at the far post moments later but the Irishman’s firm header was somehow cleared off his own line by Charlie Raglan.

Sarcevic found his fellow midfielder Thomason in space but the youngster’s volley flew over the bar.

Another great chance fell Wanderers' way moments later when another cross from Isgrove found Doyle; however, the striker’s header went just over the bar and landed on the roof of the net.

Wanderers were putting their visitors under incessant pressure and Griffiths came to the rescue for his side once again to tip over a Doyle header from yet another pinpoint Isgrove cross.

Seconds later and the keeper flung himself to his left to keep out a powerful Thomason shot from distance.

Evatt made his first change during the break with Tutte come on for Lee.

Doyle came within a whisker of putting his side in front after Jackson cut inside to float a lovely cross for the striker, who narrowly failed to get a glance on the ball which would surely have beaten Griffiths from close range.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play when May tapped the ball home from a inside the six-yard box after Matt Gilks had kept out Will Boyle's initial headed effort.

Wanderers made a double substitution just after the hour with Gnahoua and Brockbank coming on for Elbouzedi and Jones.

Gilks made a vital save when he tipped Boyle’s header over his cross bar and the visitors looked to extend their lead.

Evatt made his final change when he brought on Ali Crawford for Thomason on 67 minutes.

Griffiths pushed a powerful drive from Gnahoua behind for a corner as Wanderers pressed for an equaliser.

And that equaliser came with just four minutes remaining courtesy of Doyle who was set up by the direct running of Gnahoua.

Wanderers now face Tranmere Rovers in their next outing where they will seek to avenge a home defeat they sustained in December.

Bolton Wanderers:

Gilks, Jones (Brockbank 62), Almeida Santos, Delaney, Doyle, Sarcevic, Isgrove, Thomason (Crawford 67), Lee (Tutte 46), Elbouzedi (Gnahoua 62), Jackson.

Subs Not Used: Delfouneso, Mascoll, Baptiste.

Goal: Doyle (86).

Cheltenham Town:

Griffiths, Raglan, Tozer, Boyle, Blair, Freestone (Long 83), Azaz, Thomas, Chapman, May (Addai 90+1), Williams (Lloyd 83).

Subs Not Used: Harris, Bowry, Clements, Campbell.

Goal: May (54).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

22Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sat 16 Jan - 23:41

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Overall not too bad and a point is better than nowt.

The build up is just way to slow IMO - I lost count of how many times a cross could have been put in only to go back or sideways. Can't recall a single thru ball but memory could be off on that one.

Another thing Ian had no backup goalie on the bench again - Didn't affect the game but pure lunacy.

The new lads need some time to get up to speed.

What's the bottom line - we are still in the bottom half of league two - half way through the season and I can't see promotion myself but stand to be corrected.

23Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 0:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have to disagree with some of Iles' comments in the articles he's written about this. Doyler had chances but they weren't really "gilt-edged" nor should he have the match ball before half time. They were awkward chances and symptomatic of our attacking problems. Attractive build up play at times - mainly on the wings where Cheltenham allowed us space - but no penetration in or around the penalty spot. Yet again I'm left feeling we're not far from a decent team but just can't put it all together as yet and it's getting a bit late for a run at promotion.

24Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 21:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Frustrating again, we bossed the first half and should have been in front by HT. Too many missed chances again.

Second half we didn't look at it and then of course they scored with one of the only chances they had. I though Gnahoua did well again when he came on and must be close to a start now. The new lads did ok but will need time to settle in.

25Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 21:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What's going on with Crellin? Not on the bench, and apparently not wanted back at Fleetwood either. Got to feel for the lad.

26Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 21:41

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Feel a bit sorry for him, he made a few mistakes but i've seen him save penalties and pull off some good saves. I think he's struggled physically with dealing with crosses and imposing himself in the box but he will be a good keeper one day.

27Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 21:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Feel a bit sorry for him, he made a few mistakes but i've seen him save penalties and pull off some good saves. I think he's struggled physically with dealing with crosses and imposing himself in the box but he will be a good keeper one day.
Yes, I agree. He'll need mental strength now, but I'm sure there's a decent keeper in there. We put a lot on his shoulders, and as I've said before, the last thing we needed was a keeper learning on the job.

28Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 21:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:What's going on with Crellin? Not on the bench, and apparently not wanted back at Fleetwood either. Got to feel for the lad.

I feel sorry for him too, he didn't ask to be thrown into the deep end with no real plan B if he struggled.

Just a shot in the dark because I don't know but maybe he's one of the two that tested positive for Covid and he's not fully fit after it yet?

Of course it could also be Evatt's crazy idea of not wanting a substitute keeper on the bench like he did when Crellin was playing?

Absolute madness to my mind because sooner or later the keeper will be sent off and what do you do then?  

Why take the risk when you don't need to?

29Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 21:57

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Fleetwood don't want him then he would be worth keeping if he's available on a free even if he's a back up for now, You don't get to play for England u20's if you are totally useless.

30Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 22:00

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Maybe we are trying to force Fleetwood's hand to make space for a decent first choice keeper.  Showing Fleetwood thatthey may as well take him back, cos he's wont be getting any more experience playing for us.

31Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Sun 17 Jan - 22:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Maybe we are trying to force Fleetwood's hand to make space for a decent first choice keeper.  Showing Fleetwood thatthey may as well take him back, cos he's wont be getting any more experience playing for us.

No, that isn't the case, as according to Iles, Fleetwood currently have four keepers on their books (five with Crellin) and on top of that they are in between managers at the moment after Barton went, so there is no one there to make a decision right now.

See the article here -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

32Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Cheltenham Mon 18 Jan - 17:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Here we are, looking for consistency, and some are talking about giving Crellin a chance. He was consistent, I'll agree with that, consistently bad. I don't understand why we should school him, under 20's or not. he cost us more than a few points. I think he unsettled our team in the longer run.
Another player I'd like to give a kick up the arse is Sarcevic. Really good ball player, one of the best at this level, but the way he wanders off in the middle of a game is ridiculous. I think he would benefit from being dropped for a game, or even two.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum