Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Smart Meter

+5
gloswhite
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
boltonbonce
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Fri Feb 18 2022, 09:41

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I've been overruled. We're getting one. Like I care.

Smart Meter - Page 2 Depositphotos_13942216-stock-illustration-cartoon-woman-with-a-rolling
Poor Boncey, not allowed a bargain collection of Beano annuals and stuck with a smart meter giving away all his secrets.

Maybe he'll feel better about it if Richard Littlejohn's agin 'em.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10525085/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-cold-doesnt-kill-nuclear-missiles-will.html

22Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Fri Feb 18 2022, 10:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still having to get under the sink to read the bloody thing! Smart meter my arse.

23Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Fri Feb 18 2022, 10:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:

Maybe he'll feel better about it if Richard Littlejohn's agin 'em.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10525085/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-cold-doesnt-kill-nuclear-missiles-will.html
So this "early warning system" won't do anything to save the UK, but will help the Yanks?

Chuck that into the trade negotiations and maybe the NHS won't get sold off and we won't have to eat chlorinated chicken and Frankenstein foods after all.

24Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Sat Feb 19 2022, 09:34

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
So this "early warning system" won't do anything to save the UK, but will help the Yanks?

Chuck that into the trade negotiations and maybe the NHS won't get sold off and we won't have to eat chlorinated chicken and Frankenstein foods after all.
If the worst comes to the worst you could always try out a lovely bit of squirrel, Lusty.

25Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Mon Jun 27 2022, 10:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well, we have progress. It would seem Octopus have had a breakthrough regarding connection to our meter.
I await news.

26Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Thu Jul 07 2022, 15:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just had a chap round working on the smart meter. It seems to be connected, but we'll have to wait and see. After 12 months I've got used to being patient.

27Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Thu Jul 07 2022, 15:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Just had a chap round working on the smart meter. It seems to be connected, but we'll have to wait and see. After 12 months I've got used to being patient.
I hope you are sending in manual readings Boncey or you will get a nasty shock. Shocked

28Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Thu Jul 07 2022, 15:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
I hope you are sending in manual readings Boncey or you will get a nasty shock. Shocked
Yes, every month. I'm £76.95 in credit at the moment.

29Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Sun Jun 18 2023, 15:07

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Prepayment meter warrants were seen by court officials as being “extremely boring” for magistrates before a shake-up made it quicker and cheaper for energy giants to force entry into the UK’s poorest homes.

Officials at HM Courts and Tribunal Service (HMCTS) discussed proposals in 2018 to “streamline” the Rights of Entry process used by the firms and their agents to force their way into properties to fit the controversial devices.

A new telephone hearing system was introduced in September 2019, which meant that the firms’ warrant officers no longer had to appear in person before magistrates but could instead give evidence on multiple cases in a matter of minutes in a phone call.

With winter approaching last year, i obtained access to one court in Northern England and watched 496 of the warrants being granted in just three minutes and 51 seconds – leading MPs to warn in the Commons that the forced entries were being approved on an “industrial scale”.

Forcing households on to prepayment meters when they are in debt on their energy bills is controversial because they can leave the poorest families in the cold and dark. Single mothers told i over winter how their children had suffered attacks of asthma and pneumonia in freezing cold homes.

The warrants can be used by energy firms and their agents to force their way in to check for meter tampering, to replace an unauthorised meter or to disconnect the supply as well as force-fitting a prepayment meter.

Internal HMCTS documents obtained by i using the Freedom of Information Act now reveal the internal discussions by officials in 2018 proposing how applications could be “made to a single justice by telephone at a limited number of locations” and for “hearings in private without attendance by respondents unless they apply for a hearing”.

One document sent to the service’s heads of legal operations proposing implementation of the “virtual back-office procedure” said most cases would be centralised to a “small number” of courts and dealt with “by a single justice, supported by a legal advisor in the back office”.

The internal HMCTS document in 2018 proposed that Rights of Entry warrants be dealt with by magistrates over the telephone at a reduced number of courts.
The internal HMCTS document in 2018 proposed that Rights of Entry warrants be dealt with by magistrates over the telephone at a reduced number of courts.
It said of the streamlining proposals: “It is anticipated that this will deliver significant benefits to applicants in terms of time and travel, and additional court time will be generated by taking applications out of court hearings.”

The document said officials were also exploring ways of “reducing the labour as far as possible”, adding that “IT solutions” could be needed to “remove the blockage” of magistrates having to sign large numbers of warrants. They are now approved without being physically signed and are sent out to energy firms’ agents as PDFs.

In the same document, one official added of the warrants: “They are also extremely boring, and I do not foresee sensible magistrates fighting to do them.”

The 2018 HMCTS document said dealing with warrants was 'extremely boring' for magistrates and telephone calls would make the procedure 'more accessible' for energy firms and their agents wishing to make applications to force their way into properties.
The 2018 HMCTS document said dealing with warrants was ‘extremely boring’ for magistrates and telephone calls would make the procedure ‘more accessible’ for energy firms and their agents wishing to make applications to force their way into properties
“A streamlined bulk process should be significantly quicker than the current piecemeal process,” they said, adding: “There would be considerable cost and time-saving to applicants in applying from their base rather than travelling to numerous (or indeed any) court sites.”

On the question of transparency, the same official added: “There is no legal reason for these applications to be done in public at all and even now often they are not – the details are never mentioned in public.”

“There would be no detriment to respondents,” they said, as cases where customers contest the warrant would still be held in open court.

However, Mike Freer, the Justice Minister, told the Justice Committee in December that “in practice, it is extremely rare for any contested hearing to take place”.

The document said the 'benefits' of making the system more efficient would be a 'considerable cost and time saving' for energy firms and their agents as they would no longer need to send warrant officers to court to make their applications. It said there would be 'no detriment' to energy firms' customers on the receiving end of the warrants.
The document said the ‘benefits’ of making the system more efficient would be a ‘considerable cost and time saving’ for energy firms and their agents as they would no longer need to send warrant officers to court to make their applications. It said there would be ‘no detriment’ to energy firms’ customers on the receiving end of the warrants
Separate data obtained by i from the Ministry of Justice shows how the number of entry warrants granted to energy firms by magistrates has increased rapidly over the past five years.

In 2018, just over 174,600 warrants were approved by magistrates and 2,814 were rejected. In 2022, more than 367,000 warrants were granted – and only 56 were turned down.

The number of courts dealing with more than 1,000 warrant cases a year reduced from 29 to 12 in the same period. Portsmouth magistrates alone granted 128,000 warrants last year.

The average number of warrants dealt with by magistrates in a single sitting was just nine in 2018. Up to 1,000 cases can now be dealt with in a hearing lasting around 15 minutes.

In January, the Justice Committee asked Ministry of Justice officials if the new telephone hearing process “helped facilitate a massive increase” in warrants approved and if they were satisfied that the centralised court system was delivering justice.

Antonia Romeo, the ministry’s permanent secretary, told the committee the problem with making a process “more efficient” was that, if the process was unfair, making it more efficient “increases the occurrences of unfairness”.

“It doesn’t mean that making it more efficient was wrong,” she said. “It might mean that the process wasn’t the right one.”

In February, Lord Justice Edis ordered courts in England and Wales to stop processing the warrant applications “with immediate effect” and they are yet to restart.

He told magistrates they “must act proportionately and with regard to the human rights of the people affected, particularly any people with vulnerabilities”.

The energy regulator, Ofgem, has asked companies to sign up to a new code of conduct, under which it is expected the warrants will be restarted ahead of this coming winter.

In March, Robin Cantrill-Fenwick, a former magistrate whose resignation from the bench was triggered by the issue, told the Justice Committee: “In 2019, the process was changed, such that it was tilted even further in favour of the energy companies, so as magistrates we were required to take on an almost entirely performative and uncritical role, applying and approving these warrant applications in bulk.”

i’s discovery of the documents has prompted renewed concerns about the process ahead of its expected restart.

Labour MP Dawn Butler, a former magistrate who has been campaigning on the issue of prepayment meters for seven years, said: “I think it’s very clear this is about putting profit before the welfare of people.

“For organisations not even to have the inconvenience of coming before the court to explain why they are cutting off the gas and electricity for a person is an insult to our society.”

Simon Francis, co-ordinator of the End Fuel Poverty Coalition, said: “These latest revelations have put the focus on the forced prepayment meter scandal firmly back on the courts system.

“It is outrageous that court officials put the boredom threshold of magistrates and the cost of processing applications ahead of justice and the wellbeing of vulnerable households.

“The Government must now launch a fresh investigation into the courts’ decision-making and their role in allowing energy firms to force their way into people’s homes.”

Peter Smith, director of policy at National Energy Action, said: “In the recent past, magistrates’ courts have been far too quick to rubber-stamp batches of warrants for forced prepayment meter installations.

“We are all too aware of the terrible impacts that can happen when vulnerable people are forced onto prepayment meters against their will.

“Unaware of the significance of their actions, these batch and snap decisions, with little or no scrutiny, have largely been to the detriment of vulnerable people. It now seems magistrates may not want the hassle of dealing at all with these issues.

“Vulnerable people will be put at risk if the appropriate authorities don’t take their responsibility to authorise warrants for forced prepayment meter installations seriously. We also need a plan to stop people building up debt in the first place.”

HMCTS says the changes were introduced to ensure justice is delivered in all circumstances “swiftly” and it has been common for uncontested rights of entry applications to be heard in private, going back to the 1950s, while contested cases are heard in open court.

It said there has never been an intention to increase the number of warrant applications through the changes introduced in 2018 – only to concentrate them in fewer locations to avoid unnecessary delays.

A spokesperson for HMCTS said: “Every single contested case for a utility warrant is considered in open court. There is no evidence to suggest the introduction of an applications register or telephone hearings have impacted the way warrants are granted.”

Source

30Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Mon Jun 19 2023, 08:16

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I had a smart meter installed a while ago, they told me it would be for the gas and electric and had both meters replaced but the gadget only picks up the electricity  Rolling Eyes

31Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Mon Jun 19 2023, 13:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I had a smart meter installed a while ago, they told me it would be for the gas and electric and had both meters replaced but the gadget only picks up the electricity  Rolling Eyes
Same here mate. Have to send a manual gas reading, and the meter is under the sink. I need a winch to get me back up these days.

32Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 11:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Had to submit readings yesterday but don't understand why they need one for the leccy if i have a smart meter? Are they just for show or just for us to keep an eye on our usage?  Since we've had one we try to use the dryer a lot less as that uses a lot of electricity but not changed much else.

33Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 12:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A smart meter should automatically send readings back to your supplier unless it incompatible with their system and it has gone into dumb mode.

Quite frankly I find these smart meters a load of shit and I still happily send manual ones in every month.

Your dryer really is expensive to run btw!

34Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 13:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I use my dryer most days and couldn't do without it - how do you dry clothes if it's Winter or pissing down outside?

35Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 13:20

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I use my dryer most days and couldn't do without it - how do you dry clothes if it's Winter or pissing down outside?

Hang them up on the maiden somewhere in the house?

36Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 13:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A maiden? Is it 1876 again?

37Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 13:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:A maiden? Is it 1876 again?

Shall we call it a clothes horse then? Very Happy

38Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 13:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Shall we call it a clothes horse then? Very Happy

What has Bonce got to do with it?

39Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 13:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Hang them up on the maiden somewhere in the house?
yep 2 of the buggers! We save the dryer for towels, bedding etc now.

40Smart Meter - Page 2 Empty Re: Smart Meter Wed Sep 13 2023, 14:32

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm with Octopus, after Avro went bust.

Annoyingly  they won't let you switch to some of their  fixed tariffs unless you have a smart meter. My meter boxes are outside and I can read them just sitting in my wheelchair as long as I have my reading glasses on.  I am resisting their pressure to have a smart meter.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum