Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back: Fans leaving Burnden Park brought traffic to a standstill

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the sea of humanity which would bring traffic to a standstill on a Saturday afternoon whenever Bolton Wanderers had a home game at Burnden Park.

This picture shows disappointed fans streaming away from the ground in February, 1973, following a 1-0 defeat by Luton Town in the fifth round of the FA Cup in front of a 39,556 crowd.

You have to feel sorry for the bus driver being faced with this mass of people heading home along Manchester Road. Most folk knew to avoid the area on matchdays.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I was probably in that crowd sometime that day.

Can't recall the match though if I was.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I was probably in that crowd sometime that day.

I remember getting squashed against a bus, and frantically pushing back against it to keep my feet from being run over.
After first getting a Buff, with the first half report only.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:I was probably in that crowd sometime that day.

I remember getting squashed against a bus, and frantically pushing back against it to keep my feet from being run over.
After first getting a Buff, with the first half report only.

Sort of similar to me.

I remember walking past a stranded bus and something from the sky hitting me on the top of my shoulder?

Turns out someone had lobbed a half a house brick at the bus, it bounced off and dropped on to me as I was shuffling past it.

Luckily for me it must have been winter time as I was all layered up with my big overcoat on and hardly felt a thing!

I could never really understand why people bought the Buff as all the way down Manny Road people used to mither the death out of them asking 'how did this team go on, and how did that team go on, etc, etc!

Me being one of the many mitherers of course!

Happy days!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Sort of similar to me.

I remember walking past a stranded bus and something from the sky hitting me on the top of my shoulder?

Turns out someone had lobbed a half a house brick at the bus, it bounced off and dropped on to me as I was shuffling past it.

Luckily for me it must have been winter time as I was all layered up with my big overcoat on and hardly felt a thing!

I could never really understand why people bought the Buff as all the way down Manny Road people used to mither the death out of them asking 'how did this team go on, and how did that team go on, etc, etc!

Me being one of the many mitherers of course!

Happy days!

Happy days indeed. Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to step back in time, by climbing into a photograph, and strolling around, unseen, for a while, taking it all in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum