Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emma Raducanu

+5
luckyPeterpiper
Hip Priest
okocha
wanderlust
Sluffy
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Emma Raducanu Empty Emma Raducanu Mon Sep 06 2021, 22:29

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Can't say that I'm a big fan of tennis but a big shout out to 18 year old Emma who has just reached the last 8 at the US Open after playing so well at Wimbledon this year until the expectations got a bit too much for her.

Hope she continues to do well.

US Open 2021: Emma Raducanu into quarter-finals after beating Shelby Rogers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58469496

2Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Wed Sep 08 2021, 17:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Watching her game now.  3 all - a break each way. Hope she doesn't go woozy like she did at Wimbledon when she was losing.

3Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Wed Sep 08 2021, 18:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bencic was off the pace but Emma did really well to take advantage and go through.

Bit of a darling of the American media by the sound of it.

4Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Wed Sep 08 2021, 18:39

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

She's won! Whoever is working on the mental side of her game is doing a great job.....

5Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Wed Sep 08 2021, 19:06

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

What she referred to after the match can only strengthen her belief that she can rally from losing positions. Great mind-set:-

"It was 0-30 in my last couple of service games so to hold was pretty big, it was one point at a time and trying to focus on what I can control...."

6Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Thu Sep 09 2021, 01:20

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Only seen bits of her adventure so far and I'm not a big women's tennis fan but from what I've seen she seems to be a real natural breath of fresh air. When's her semi and where can I watch it.

7Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Thu Sep 09 2021, 10:27

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hip Priest wrote:Only seen bits of her adventure so far and I'm not a big women's tennis fan but from what I've seen she seems to be a real natural breath of fresh air. When's her semi and where can I watch it.
Her semi is tonight around midnight, HP, but I'm not sure if it's possible to watch it live in this country.
I expect our all-knowing mods will have the answer.....

This doesn't appear to be a false dawn for GB women's tennis. Even if she doesn't get to the final against her big-serving opponent tonight, all the signs are that she doesn't have any obvious weaknesses and is on course for glory one day as she develops.

8Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Thu Sep 09 2021, 12:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:
Her semi is tonight around midnight, HP, but I'm not sure if it's possible to watch it live in this country.
I expect our all-knowing mods will have the answer.....

This doesn't appear to be a false dawn for GB women's tennis. Even if she doesn't get to the final against her big-serving opponent tonight, all the signs are that she doesn't have any obvious weaknesses and is on course for glory one day as she develops.
Probably on Amazon Prime

It will be good if she has a successful career but right now she's just one of a long line of young British hopefuls over the years.

9Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Thu Sep 09 2021, 13:08

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Wendy's a big tennis fan and says Radecanu is THE best British woman she's seen since Virginia Wade already and that the young woman will almost certainly win at least one major before she's 20. I can't claim to know much about tennis full stop so I will certainly defer to Wendy's judgement on this.

10Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Thu Sep 09 2021, 13:30

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Perhaps this is the time to brag and say that I made it to the finals of both Junior Singles and Doubles in the Bolton Lawn Tennis Championships back in 1966 and 1967. (Missed the World Cup Final to play the first Singles final in drizzle. Not many spectators that day!) Switched to playing cricket when I went to Uni and only played tennis for fun with friends.

The point of this is just to say that Raducanu at 18 years of age looks very special to my eye and only future injury problems or some calamitous loss of confidence seem likely to prevent her winning tournaments. She appears to have risen above the latter already.

11Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 04:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wow she's done it - she's in the final!

Go and win it now Emma!

12Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 11:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some records tumbled last night....

First qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final, first Brit female in a major final for 44 years and the youngest to reach a GS final since 1959.

Having played 3 qualifying rounds to get to the main draw she has now played 9 matches and hasn't dropped a set.

She's in with a decent chance of winning it now - against the 19 year old Canadian Fernandez ranked 73 in the world.

Hope she does it.

13Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 11:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remarkable for both girls. And when was the last time two Canadian born women appeared in a grand slam final?

14Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 11:44

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Just keep her away from the gutter press and the ghastly Piers Morgan. 

Let her be herself with the trainers and coaches she trusts.

The superbly articulate and fluent Annabel Croft struck exactly the right note on BBC Breakfast today.

15Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 11:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Just keep her away from the gutter press and the ghastly Piers Morgan. 

The superbly articulate and fluent Annabel Croft struck exactly the right note on BBC Breakfast today.
Very true. They'll be hiding in bushes looking for who she might be dating, her twitter feed for anything iffy, and how they might be able to bring her down.
She seems a delightful, happy girl, revelling in a sport she loves. I hope she's tough enough for what might be coming.

16Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 12:20

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Great, I watched a little bit of the QF and she did well.  Don’t think she’s lost a single set yet either.

17Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Fri Sep 10 2021, 16:34

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

okocha wrote:Just keep her away from the gutter press and the ghastly Piers Morgan. 

I totally agree, Morgan's insensitive comments about her made my blood boil.

She is an absolute delight, long may she hang on to her lovely happy personality.

Win or lose the final she has brought a lot of  sunshine into our lives.

She will be a real Champion in the future and a great role model.

18Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sat Sep 11 2021, 01:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Watched the semi final on Prime and the one characteristic that shone through is that she's unfazed by anything thrown at her - absolute poker faced assassin.
The final will be tough as Fernandez is a skilful leftie who will move her about the court a lot more than previous opponents and go for the angles more so it'll be interesting to see how Emma handles this different challenge as I haven't seen her play anything other than baseline stuff - but she moves well and may be up for it.

19Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sat Sep 11 2021, 01:40

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Nothing Morgan says surprises me, could someone enlighten me please as to what he's had to say about Emma.

20Emma Raducanu Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sat Sep 11 2021, 02:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hip Priest wrote:Nothing Morgan says surprises me, could someone enlighten me please as to what he's had to say about Emma.
This mate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum