Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emma Raducanu

+5
luckyPeterpiper
Hip Priest
okocha
wanderlust
Sluffy
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sat Sep 11 2021, 13:25

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Final now to be shown live on Channel 4 at 9pm this evening

22Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sat Sep 11 2021, 23:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

She's done it!!!

Emma Raducanu - Page 2 _120520268_gettyimages-1339728791

23Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sat Sep 11 2021, 23:55

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sensational! The level of play from both girls was very special. Hope more people are inspired to take up the sport or at least follow it on TV and in person. The consistency of power and accuracy was exceptional. Look back at old videos of women's tennis and witness how much the quality has improved. These two will almost certainly contest the final stages of more grand slams in the future.

24Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Sun Sep 12 2021, 09:24

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Well done Emma. Brilliant performance in every way.

The other young lady? She can play tennis alright but what a little madam. Her and her 'team' had faces that could turn milk sour.

25Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Mon Sep 13 2021, 00:11

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wow! She was sensational. 18 years old and played like a seasoned veteran to win the U.S. Open as a qualifier without dropping a set in the whole tournament. Nothing seems to phase her in the slightest. 
I'm not a betting man but give me any sort of decent odds for her winning BBC Sports Personality of the Year and I'll be in there. Who the hell could possibly compete with Emma's achievement.

26Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Mon Sep 13 2021, 01:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fernandez is a great player and as the non qualifier possibly expected to win having beaten some great players en route. She obviously wasn't happy the way it went as for both players it was possibly their only chance to win a major. But in the scheme of things in women's tennis we ended up with two players who weren't given a chance and I'm sure the ranking players who weren't injured or had a stinker will be having a say in things going forward.
But to see Radacanu - ranked 338 in July - to get to the last 16 of Wimbledon and then do this (which will put her into the top 30) - was unique and probably the fastest rise in tennis history, even though it was years in the making.
The match was excellent in terms of contrasting styles and abilities so I hope to see a rerun some day - but I'm not betting on it.
A truly extraordinary event a la Leicester winning the Prem.

27Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Mon Sep 13 2021, 08:59

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I didn't see much of a difference in their "styles and abilities", Lusty. Pretty sure that they will both go on to win (more) majors. Their rivals, even Barty, are very inconsistent or past it, and these girls have everything they need to achieve more success.

I thought the crowd were pretty polite and appreciative of both ladies, whereas the crowd for the men's final were an utter disgrace, actually booing, whistling and shouting out when the Russian, Medvedev, was trying to serve out for the match. He did very well to ignore the appalling abuse and close out the final few games to win in straight sets against Djokovic. 

I fear similar loutish behaviour from a partisan American crowd in the forthcoming Ryder Cup.....a bit like our yobs at football matches!

28Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Mon Sep 13 2021, 22:40

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I didn't see a lot of difference in styles either but there was one nagging difference.
Why could I not help thinking of Tonya Harding v. Nancy Kerrigan and Bad Santa?

29Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Tue Sep 14 2021, 11:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:I didn't see much of a difference in their "styles and abilities", Lusty. Pretty sure that they will both go on to win (more) majors. Their rivals, even Barty, are very inconsistent or past it, and these girls have everything they need to achieve more success.
I was thinking that Fernandez was marginally more powerful, was more inclined to go for the angles when the opportunity arose and is of course a leftie. In her earlier games, she swung the ball and used the angles more - but of course she could only play what Radacanu gave her to play and she was given very few opportunities being pushed back to the baseline so often.
If Radacanu can keep opponents at the back of the court all the time she'll do really well - but she has yet to go up against the big guns and I'd be surprised if she wins anything else for the next few years. Maybe later depending on who else is coming through.

30Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Tue Sep 14 2021, 17:09

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Who are these "big guns", Lusty? 

Was Olympic champion, Belinda Bencic, not a big enough scalp for Emma's talent to be proved in straight sets.....Fernandez too? 
Barty may have something to say in the near future but she looked brittle in this tournament.

Enjoy this prodigious rarity....

31Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Tue Jan 18 2022, 15:24

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Raducanu has beaten the 2017 US Open champion, Sloane Stephens, in the first round of this year's Australian Open in Melbourne.

It's beginning to feel as if she may possibly become a "Big-Match" player, having overcome some indifferent recent form in lesser events. Good temperament in sport matters such a lot when the presure is on. 

Got something to admit, big-mouth Piers Morgan?

32Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Tue Jan 18 2022, 16:42

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I loved seeing Emma Raducanu win the US Open last year. 
It wasn't just the winning but her grace, intelligence and the sheer joy of her personality.
I hope she goes on to have a long and successful career.

33Emma Raducanu - Page 2 Empty Re: Emma Raducanu Wed Jan 19 2022, 15:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
It wasn't just the winning but her grace, intelligence and the sheer joy of her personality.
Yeah - that's exactly what I liked about her too Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum