Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've never been a royalist or had much interest in the royal family TBH but I will be joining in this year's celebrations for our Queen.
She's been a constant throughout my life and the only one who has stuck resolutely to the task of statesmanship through thick and thin whilst contributing huge amounts of tourist bucks to the economy. Expensive investment yes, but worthwhile and moreover profitable - the rest of them are just a waste of space.

Her maj has done a great job under very difficult circumstances IMO. She's managed to maintain the mask of detachment and neutrality that appeals so strongly to both domestic and foreign royalists, has put up with all manner of crap from her offspring, and although the job of being head of marketing state is a pretty tacky one, she's enthusiastically given her life to it - she doesn't know anything else and is still working at 96.

There's a very fine line between appreciating a job well done and the rampant flag-waving nationalism that it is subverted into in some quarters, but I'll try to appreciate the woman for what she is and what she's done whilst she's still around.

She's clearly not a well woman but might it be worth a punt on her outliving Putin Smile

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not much of a Royalist either but i was shocked to hear Liverpool fans booing Prince William and the National Anthem. Turns out lots of scousers don't class themselves as English now and i've seen lots of justifications for their actions on twitter since Saturday.

At least we get an extra Bank Holiday so i'll thank her for that  Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I really can't wait for the explosion of well orchestrated, mass sycophancy, that's about to engulf our media outlets. 
I'll be watching something else. 
My old mum bears an uncanny resemblance to the Queen. She could probably stand in for her at big events, so I often have to tread carefully when I'm in her company, as she doesn't share my sour view of the monarchy.
Say what you like about the French, they knew how to deal with royalty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum