Taken in 1962, this photo shows what would become yet another of Bolton’s ‘lost’ cinemas.
The Rialto on St George’s Road was actually one of the town’s first picture houses opening in 1922 in what had been Bolton’s Temperance House.
It suffered a serious fire in the late 1920s but was rebuilt and continue to operate as a cinema. This picture shows a for sale sign on the building although it would enjoy a new life as a bingo hall for a number of years before reverting back to a cinema, finally closing and then being demolished around 1982.
The Holiday Inn now stands on the site of the former picture house which was a distinctive-looking building.