Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do we ever hold open trials

+9
terenceanne
wanderlust
jayjay23
Norpig
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
BoltonTillIDie
13 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do we ever hold open trials Empty Do we ever hold open trials Thu Jan 17 2013, 20:02

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

While I was checking the Peterborough website (to see if the re-arranged fixture had been scheduled yet) I noticed that the were offering open day trials for kids aged between 7 and 15.

I thought this would be a great idea and a great way to see any potential out there that might otherwise be missed.

Bolton Wanderers could contact all the schools in bolton advising them of his potential opportunity and potentially you could find some un-discovered talent.

Is this something we activelky do at the moment or are we missing a trick here?

Link to the post on Peterborough's article here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Thu Jan 17 2013, 20:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have never heard it mentioned before but I would have thought that schoolboy trials was an ideal way for tapping up potential players at grass roots level.

3Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Thu Jan 17 2013, 20:41

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Surely we must do? I thought most clubs did.

Didn't Nolan get spotted because his mate told him to attend our open trial?

4Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why should there be an age limit of 15? I'll bet there are plenty of young chaps older than that who are potentially very good - perhaps they were never in the right place at the right time when the scouts came calling.

5Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:15

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree, if you are good enough age shouldn't matter.

6Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Thu Jan 17 2013, 22:17

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The cut off age should be around 21/22.

7Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Fri Jan 18 2013, 08:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

they used to have schoolboy trials, i went when i was 10 or 11 and trained in the sports hall they had behind Burnden. All the schools were invited to send in their best players. I remember that the Flitcroft brothers were there at the same time as me and were snapped up quickly (only to lose them again a few years later)

8Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Fri Jan 18 2013, 08:44

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Afternoon ladies!
I remember playing 5-a-side against a guy at Manor 5s. He was about 20 and from the young offenders place. He ended up getting picked up by Stockport (because of a special football scheme* for problem "kids") and scored at Wembley. I was better than him!

(*I think)

9Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Fri Jan 18 2013, 10:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:The cut off age should be around 21/22.

..and there was me dusting off my boots until I read this. Crying or Very sad

10Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Fri Jan 18 2013, 16:48

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

They have been trials ....Megson was given 20 years for impersonating a football manager and Coyle was arrested for indecent exposure when his shorts fell down during the Burnely game....3 months of community service ordered.

11Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Fri Jan 18 2013, 20:41

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

terenceanne wrote:They have been trials ....Megson was given 20 years for impersonating a football manager and Coyle was arrested for indecent exposure when his shorts fell down during the Burnely game....3 months of community service ordered.
There is something just plain wrong about putting those phrases together in one sentence.

12Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Fri Jan 18 2013, 21:26

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Was talking to a lad who coaches young kids, Bolton have loads of kids on their books, only problem being they are only allowed to play for Bolton, not even allowed to play for their own school, if this is true doesn't sound right to me.

13Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Mon Jan 21 2013, 19:33

JakeSnake

David Lee
David Lee

wish they did it, could get a trial, woo!

14Do we ever hold open trials Empty Re: Do we ever hold open trials Mon Jan 21 2013, 23:27

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I don't know about open trials, but I know a Man U fan that goes watching the Man U youth team and we managed to recruit a young lad from them.

This lad now plays for our under 14's and this guy, reckons he's a cracking player, we even gave him a 4 year deal, which is rare for us. We beat off competition from Everton for this lad.

The reason he left United, was that he basically, hated it there, there was a clique, even at such a young age and the parents were a nightmare, often poking their noses in.

Apparently, he loves it at Bolton. All I know, is that he plays in central midfield, he's called Matthew and he has a noticeable birth mark on his face, so you can't miss him!

I'm not wumming btw! No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum