Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Worthy of a mention.

+19
Tigermin
Soul Kitchen
NickFazer
Barryjw
Keegan
Sgt. Bash
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Bernard Dennis Park
rammywhite
Boggersbelief
JohannesburgWanderer
aaron_bwfc
Banks of the Croal
Sluffy
xmiles
Copper Dragon
JonnyRandom
Reebok Trotter
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

61Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 20:56

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Arthur McCluskey. Magnificent. Magnificent in every sense of the word.
There's only one word that could possibly be used when describing Arthur and that word is 'Magnificent'.

62Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:Arthur McCluskey. Magnificent. Magnificent in every sense of the word.
There's only one word that could possibly be used when describing Arthur and that word is 'Magnificent'.

Cant say I recall the name. How far are you going back?

63Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:05

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Several years Trotts, several years.
One other of the great but forgotten. John Thomas

64Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:07

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I remember John Thomas. Not a bad player at all. I reckon the Sky team would have a field day with his name nowadays.

65Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:09

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

There was a young lad in the 70's I think, called Nicky something. Good player, but decided to go down the clubbing route and was eventually kicked out.

66Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:13

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember John Thomas. He had two spells with us iirc.

67Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

chipbutty wrote:Arthur McCluskey. Magnificent. Magnificent in every sense of the word.

He may have been 'magnificent' but nobody by that name as ever played for the Wanderers according to the club records!

68Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:18

Scott Green, the ultimate utility player. Defence, midfield or striker he could perform adequately in all 3.

69Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I remember John Thomas. Not a bad player at all. I reckon the Sky team would have a field day with his name nowadays.

Believe it or not but that is my fathers name. He once had to go to court as a witness to a serious car accident and when he gave his name you could hear the suppressed chuckles. My grandparents had a good sense of humour.

70Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Thought your surname was Trotter Very Happy

71Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:27

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Thought your surname was Trotter Very Happy

Smile

72Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:30

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Sluffy wrote:

He may have been 'magnificent' but nobody by that name as ever played for the Wanderers according to the club records!

Well then it just goes to show.

73Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:31

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

CB, Just love your reasoning Smile

74Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 21:52

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This fella's got to be worth a mention... Freddie Hill.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

75Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 22:02

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Remember seeing Freddie playing in the cup replay at Arsenal, wearing a rugby scrum cap because of an injury recived int he first game. (we lost 3-0 when they scored 3 in 2 minutes) Ian Ure wa their striker !

76Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Fri Feb 08 2013, 22:12

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

When Francis (Franny) Lee was at City he told the manager, can't remember who it was, to sign Freddie and he did.

Towards the end of his life Freddie Hill was driving a stacker- truck at Lee's paper works in Daubhill.

Freddie Hill was one of the best players I've seen in a Bolton shirt and he played for England, but no-where near as often as he should have.

Who knows why he didn't enjoy the comfortable life his talents deserved. Life can be cruel.

77Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Mon Feb 11 2013, 18:56

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Francis Lee, Freddie Hill and Wyn Davies all played in Wanderers 63/64 relegated side. Some years later, after Freddie had played at Halifax and Wyn at Newcastle, they all played together at City.

78Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Mon Feb 11 2013, 19:06

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't Wyn Davies play for United ?

79Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Mon Feb 11 2013, 19:23

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Correct, and then some years later he knocked on my door selling carpet cleaners!

80Worthy of a mention. - Page 4 Empty Re: Worthy of a mention. Mon Feb 11 2013, 19:40

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was apparently one of the signings that cost Wilf McGuinness the managers job at United. He wanted Ron Davies at Southampton but the board told him to go for Wyn.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum