Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Strange Managerial Decisions

+10
WhiteBic
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
Sluffy
Swintonwhite89
Triumph
Hipster_Nebula
Bernard Dennis Park
Jamster26
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 13:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breaking up our solid defence last night and leaving Ricketts out is, for me, one of the weirdest team selections in a long time. It simply didn't make any sense.

But we've had our fair share of idiot managers over the years, can you think of any other weird, strange or downright daft team selections?

The obvious one is Owen Coyle paying £4m for Marvin Sordell and not playing him. A less obvious one is Fat Sam's decision to continually leave Jared Borgetti on the bench when he was the only player scoring goals.

2Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 13:18

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I never understood why, when we were clearly struggling for goals, Megson didn't use Smolarek allot more. He was a proven goalscorer.

3Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 13:21

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Playing Dean Holdsworth always puzzled me.

4Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 13:58

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"It gets up my ooter when they say Megson Megson sign him up and who they thought brought here in the first place"

Megsons treatment of Klasnic was odd.

we've had a lot of loans in recent years that didn't seem to get a fair shake as well, especially under Coyle.

5Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 14:46

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I can't understand why it took so long to realise SKD was passed his sell by?

6Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 14:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Julian Darby was the original strange managerial decision. Phil Neal picked him week after week despite week after week of shocking performances.

7Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:03

Swintonwhite89

Swintonwhite89
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

He wasn't fully fit according to radio last night.

8Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Swintonwhite89 wrote:He wasn't fully fit according to radio last night.

Did you actually hear that yourself or as someone just made that up? - because he played for half an hour as a sub last night!

Obviously not that unfit then!

9Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:25

The fact he played half an hour doesn't mean he was fit enough to start though does it?

It just means Dougie realised a semi fit Ricketts couldn't possibly do worse than Butterfield was.

10Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:The fact he played half an hour doesn't mean he was fit enough to start though does it?

It just means Dougie realised a semi fit Ricketts couldn't possibly do worse than Butterfield was.

We listened to the whole match commentary last night via the Chatbox and no mention was made of Ricketts being unfit.

If Swinton heard the comment, then fair enough but I suspect he simply read a comment somewhere that someone had simply made up to justify Butterfield starting.

11Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:46

Sluffy wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:The fact he played half an hour doesn't mean he was fit enough to start though does it?

We listened to the whole match commentary last night via the Chatbox and no mention was made of Ricketts being unfit.

If Swinton heard the comment, then fair enough but I suspect he simply read a comment somewhere that someone had simply made up to justify Butterfield starting.

Who knows, it's possible whoever relayed the commentary onto chatbox missed it, it's also possible Swinton misheard it.

If he was fit he should have started.

12Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Breaking up our solid defence
Not a phrase I expected to hear this season after the start we had.

13Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 16:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Who knows, it's possible whoever relayed the commentary onto chatbox missed it, it's also possible Swinton misheard it.

If he was fit he should have started.

Maybe - but we had at least three people doing the commentary from their radio's - so I doubt they all would have missed it.

As for if Ricketts was fit he should have started - well that is the point nearly everybody agrees on - hence why I suspect the radio 'excuse' as simply been made up by someone to justify why he wasn't.

14Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Please can someone give sluffy a 24 hour ban for hijacking my thread. Arsehole.

15Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

According to comms on Tower FM, Dougie benched Ricketts because he thought Butterfield was more defensive minded. I suspect he wanted him to negate the threat of Dyer and Slurp. Unfortunately, his cunning plan backfired.

16Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:15

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

(Butterfield = slower than KD) -V- (Dyer = possibly quickest in the league).

If the above was a tactical decision made my our management they deserve a one match ban.

17Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Ricketts getting sent off the other week may have influenced Dougie's decision.

18Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:26

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

In fairness, I think Ricketts has been poor lately too.
Not enough to justify the decision, but Bolton fans were singing his name when he came on as though he was a saviour. He is also substandard at present.

19Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:36

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I don't think he suits playing with eagles. They have both appeared to be disinterested for large parts of this season. Strange because I really rated Ricketts last season and thought he was one of our best defenders before he got injured.

20Strange Managerial Decisions Empty Re: Strange Managerial Decisions Wed Apr 17 2013, 19:11

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Selling Habsi.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum