Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - QUICK QUID sponsorship deal OFF!!!

+31
JAH
Michael Bolton
Quent
rammywhite
JakeSnake
Culcheth_White
NickFazer
Bernard Dennis Park
waynagain
terenceanne
gloswhite
MartinBWFC
observer
wanderlust
Triumph
bwfc71
aaron_bwfc
Soul Kitchen
Lofty_Love
BoltonTillIDie
Keegan
WhiteBic
doffcocker
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
SKDArmy
Hipster_Nebula
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 15]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It amuses me stuff like this - how the self righteous on the various BWFC forums are getting their knickers in a twist over things like this!

How many of those pontificating about what is best for the club have actually used a money lending company? Indeed how many of those actually using a money lending company have got themselves needlessly in debt in the first position by frittering away their money on needless things rather than the basics of keeping a roof above your head and food and clothing for themselves and their families?

I do what you might say is a bit of voluntary work helping some people who have come to this country and are trying hard to make a go of things.

All the individuals and families I have met are genuine people trying to make a better life for themselves and their own and not here to rob the benefit system.

I've seen these people exploited by ruthless employers taking advantage of their need for jobs and money and seen them struggle to make an honest living with hardly two pennies to rub together. What little money they have is spent on very basic living accommodation and food and clothing. They scrimp to save anything from their meagre existence over here and what they do they send back abroad to their family over there, who are in a far worse situation than they themselves. None of these people I have met even consider going to a money lender as thry know they can't afford to pay them back. They live within their means - it's hard, it's not desirable but they have a home and a full belly even if they don't have the latest 5G or plasma TV, etc.

I'm old, I was brought up in an age long gone where if you wanted anything you worked and saved for it first. I would never dream about borrowing money to go on holiday or buy the latest mobile phone or satellite TV package, let alone use it for drink or drugs.

If I did need a loan for say a house or a car, I made sure I had the means to pay the money back before I borrowed even a penny - I knew what I was earning, I knew what my living expenses were and I knew how much I could afford to pay back per week / month. I always saved and put down a large deposit and I knew if I somehow I lost my job, that I could sell the house or car and cover my debt.

These days things are done differently, I know that, but if people live a lifestyle that necessitates them to go to these loan companies then they need to look at themselves rather than the sanctimonious amongst us condemn the money lenders.

Indeed money lending is probably the second oldest profession in the world, that is how the banking world started out in the first place.

How many of those bitching now were happy enough to play in the 'Barclay' Premier League without making any comments?

People need to look at the cause not the symptoms.

Perhaps if people didn't choose (or more likely believe they have a God given right) to live beyond their means in the first place there would be no need for companies such as Quick Quid?

Just a thought.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I agree.

Quality post Sluffy.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't.

We seem to be generalising everyone who uses Quick Quid (or similar) as some sort of greedy ponce who uses it to top up their benefit money. You also seem to be talking about people using QQ to fund phones and holidays. I'm sure that goes on, but the majority of their customers are honest folk who have fallen on hard times, using the cash for food and clothing.

And as far as I can see sluffy you seem to be suggesting that you shouldn't buy a house if you can't afford to pay it off if you lose your job. A noble theory, but in reality it can't happen when even a 2 bed terrace is £80k. If everyone waited until they could pay cash for a house the market would crash overnight and your house would be worth a fraction of what it is today.

I despair of the apathy being shown to poor folk on this thread.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I'm with Nat on this one! I despair at those people that have the opinion that no one makes anybody go down the road and take out a loan with QQ. I think the people that have this opinion have never been down to that desperate state where you don't know how you are going to put food on the table. Its a terrible feeling when there's no cash available in the machine and no pennies in the jar at home! I've been down there and that was before the likes of these loan shark companies came over from the states. Yep, these companies are not benefiting our economy at all!

The big question is who do these companies target? They target the poor. Why? Because they are the only ones desperate enough to use them or more importantly don't understand their exorbitant levels of interest.

The argument with BWFC is an ethical one. Even more so now the figure of £500k for 2 seasons is being banded around. Of all the bad press even just yesterday surrounding these types of companies we will end up scoring a massive own goal by announcing any type of sponsorship deal with QQ. I hope that bwfc reverse their decision.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:I don't.

We seem to be generalising everyone who uses Quick Quid (or similar) as some sort of greedy ponce who uses it to top up their benefit money. You also seem to be talking about people using QQ to fund phones and holidays. I'm sure that goes on, but the majority of their customers are honest folk who have fallen on hard times, using the cash for food and clothing.

And as far as I can see sluffy you seem to be suggesting that you shouldn't buy a house if you can't afford to pay it off if you lose your job. A noble theory, but in reality it can't happen when even a 2 bed terrace is £80k. If everyone waited until they could pay cash for a house the market would crash overnight and your house would be worth a fraction of what it is today.

I despair of the apathy being shown to poor folk on this thread.

The point I'm making is that people choose to get into situations that aren't sustainable in the short term if things go pear shaped for them over night.

Obviously no one wants to lose their job but for people to be fully (if not over!) extended themselves on their current life styles that they have to take out pay day loans etc, then surely they should question what the hell are they are spending their money on and can they really afford to be doing that?

It could be many things other than a phone or a telly that they do max out their incomes on but how do they expect to survive when something goes wrong - as shit always happens at sometime or other.

The housing market (and most of the western worlds economies) are fucked because so many people believed in buying houses they could not afford and assuming the value of them would continue to go up to pay off the debt at some future date.

All I was saying was that saving up for a decent deposit first allows you some room for maneuvreability if things went wrong somewhere down the line - funnily enough exactly what the banks and building societies require of people now. Hardly rocket science thinking really is it?

We live in some sort of bubble - away from the reality of how many of the world population live in poverty and how they survive.

I'm no evangelist, I want my comforts too but I work for them first before having them - not the other way around.

Maybe if people did somehow see what real poverty and deprivation was then not having a new car, foreign holiday or internet tablet or whatever, they wouldn't be in quite the rush to get into debt for them.

If people eyes are so big that they must have stuff without having the means to pay for them when times get more difficult, then why is it that the money lenders are the perceived problem by the many bitching about Quick Quid, etc, and not the greedy, brainless, must have it now-ers who knowingly put themselves in the position they find themselves in by over extending themselves financially, in the first place?

Quick Quid isn't the problem, it's the people who put themselves in such a position that they have nowhere else to go other than there - that are.

It may well be an oversimplification but if people saved up for what they wanted in the first place then many would not be needing the services of the money lenders at all!

You reap what you sow.

And Jah, I’ve been there too, I’ve known really poverty in my life and that is why I’ve undergone hardship and depravity – to do with out what everybody else seemed to have. The thing is though I’ve also seen many who did have the things I didn’t, struggle and hide behind their locked doors when the time came to settle up their debts – that never ever happened to me.

If people want to spend all that they have without trying to save any of for that ‘rainy day’, is it then is it any wonder they have nowhere else to turn other than the Quick Quid-ers of this world?

As I say above – you reap what you sow.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy,
I don't disagree with you- like a lot of others on here, I do a fair bit of charitable work and I've known what it is to be poor. We lived on Daubhill, 4 kids, regularly unemployed father- not got a pot to piss in! I got out of it because of a brilliant education system in the UK
There's no moral high ground here which anyone can claim as a monopoly. Again like the vast majority on here ( an assumption,I'll agree) they probably manage their financial affairs with propriety. Most of us ,for good reason and bad , don't need the likes of QQ.
But the feckless, the stupid, the sheer unlucky- sometimes do.
And QQ rip them off. You know as well as I do the true interest rate- often over 2000%.
That's where QQ make their money - targetting the people who cock things up. It's also why the OFT have warned about 50 of them to get heir house in order or their licenses will be revoked. That's a lot of businesss to be warned about behaviour.
That whole sector- the loan shark made polite -stinks.
The only thing that I've ever borrowed for was a house- and like you (I'm old as well, but that's no qualification for being righteous) borrowed sensibly and paid it off quickly.
There was enough low moral behaviour already in football ,with bribes,money grubbing players and agents, ridiculous ticket prices for mediocre performances.
I think BWFC taking money off the likes of this lot lower the moral tone even more.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We could argue the rights and wrongs of short term lenders forever, but I don't think it's the point.
For me the issue is this...
This company have alledgedly paid £250k for the right to daub their names on our club shirts. That isn't very much at all and if I'd known that the sponsorship deal was that cheap I'd might have upped it to £275k just to have "Wanderlust" on.
However, the fans have to wear these shirts, and the fact that it this organisation is contraversial (as evidenced by this very discussion) added to the shit logo means many would be unwilling to buy them, despite their willingness to support the club and act as human adverts on their behalf.
That would suggest to me that it's not a particularly good deal for either the club or us.
If they'd accepted a lower bid from a sponsor who's reputation or sector is not in question or even a "cool" sponsor (ideally with a kickass logo) both the image of the club and income from shirt sales etc would have improved.
Bad economics and bad PR IMO.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Re the discussion about short-term loan providers:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I don't really see football as the place to even start to talk about morals and ethics!

How can people who simply pay a game be paid a fortune a week when anybody who does whatever you may consider to be a benefit to society say like a nurse, doctor, fireman, policeman, soldier, paramedic - be paid bugger all in comparison!

How can the players earning God knows tens of thousands a week, who are treated like demi-Gods and some who act like they are above the law and take whatever they want, when they want, with a club clearing up the shit behind them as they go, be in any way worth what society values them at!

How can the agents and God knows how many others pimp a living of enormous wealth off the back of this unwarranted gravy train, whilst the mugs like you and me line up to fill their pockets by continually paying Sky and the clubs the privilege to worship these over paid wankers who they represent kick a ball around some grass?

Jesus why now do these tub thumping righteous zealots decide the line as finally been crossed because a club wants to be sponsored by some money lenders who make their living of the gormless, greedy and stupid of our society?

We all have to live with the consequences of our actions.

It's not the Quick Quids that are the problem it is those that get themselves so deep in such a mess that they have nowhere else to turn other than them.

For people wanting to be moralistic about what is or is not on a footballers shirt seems to be grossly hypocritical to me when the footballers that wear them, the society that as produced them and worship them at the alter of Sky TV, and the people involved in the game at the highest levels with the object of making them ridiculously wealthy probably wipe their bums on more money in a week than those people are actually trying to loan in a week to survive the mess they have got themselves into!

A sense of perspective is needed.

If people want to be moralistic around football they need to start with its fundamental culture and the worth society puts up on it and not start jabbering about some money lenders logo going on their clubs shirts.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Good post Sluffy.

I have an ex girlfriend who owned a nice house in lovely village just outside Bolton. She took out loans - from the bank - to finance a life style which she could not afford. She had been married to guy who had plenty of money and she was used to going to the hairdresser's twice a week, the tanning salon weekly, drove a nice car, shopped at M & S for her food, had the best cell phone, had a phone land line, the 'complete' Sky TV and internet package etc....

She recieved alimony for 2 years and knew she would eventually have to do something or it would all go away. She couldn't change her lifestyle!!! Did she need to go to the hairdresser's twice a week, or the complete Sky package etc - No!!! But she refused to cut back. For 4 years she told me she expected to be evicted by Christmas and it didn't happen. Then she finally was evicted about 2 months before the 5th Christmas and she told me she didn't believe they would evict her "at this time of year".

The majority of people who get into financial problems is not because they lose their jobs - there are systems in place to help those people - it is because people live beyond their means

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

No Sluffy, we simply just don't want the good name of our football club dragged through the mud by being associated with companies such as QQ. They are gutter financial (using the word very losely) organisations that prey on the very vunerable members of our diverse society and supporters of Bolton Wanderers care about how our club is perceived and promoted across the world.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You're quite right again- football is not the place to start with any sense of morality. That should start with things far more important- but you can't exclude morality from football,sport or anything else. At least not in a civil sed society
Perhaps you can- but I won't . And I'm not self righteous either..
I don't worship at any altar in football- Sky, players - not any of it. I've got that sense of perspective that you mention- and so do most people. I go along to the Reebok as I 've since it opened and to Burnden for many years before that- just to watch the game. But I don't want to see players wages paid from the interst paid by those who ,as you say, have been stupid and feckless enough to fall into thr hands of legalised loan sharks.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

waynagain wrote:

The majority of people who get into financial problems is not because they lose their jobs - there are systems in place to help those people - it is because people live beyond their means

Sorry but you have no evidence of this.

I don't doubt there are people like your ex, and plenty of them, but the vast majority of people forced into using Quick Quid are the poor and needy.

And these systems that are in place don't exist. If you lose your job and owe the bank thousands of pounds you have about 6 months tops to find another job or sell up. After that the bank will take your house whatever the government tells them. And that is a fact.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:
waynagain wrote:

Sorry but you have no evidence of this.

I don't doubt there are people like your ex, and plenty of them, but the vast majority of people forced into using Quick Quid are the poor and needy.

And these systems that are in place don't exist. If you lose your job and owe the bank thousands of pounds you have about 6 months tops to find another job or sell up. After that the bank will take your house whatever the government tells them. And that is a fact.

The banks gave her 5 years - she still couldn't change - now she rents and has 'finally' started to food shop at Asda, hairdresser's once a week instead of twice.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Would people be concerned if the 'Bank of America' was Bolton's new sponsor?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Shame about our sponsor as I personally can't stand these sort of companies.

I had hoped EA Sports might have been the new ones when this first broke as I am sure we have some sort of deal with them that started a couple of seasons ago.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It shows just how far we have fallen when the best we can do is Quick Quid.

Freedman out.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:It shows just how far we have fallen when the best we can do is Quick Quid.

Freedman out.
Agree Nat- I think it's a bad day with this lot. I think we might get some stick from other club supporters about this.
But Freedman stays- its Gartside who should be ashamed of himself

SKDArmy

SKDArmy
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

JW what happens with the massive 188 bet signs that seemed to have taken over the front of our stadium now they are no longer a sponsor of our club?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum