Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vela, Riley and O'Halloran Sign New Deals

+3
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Let's hope they make the grade then otherwise what is the point in the academy at all?

Academy graduates Joe Riley and Michael O'Halloran have committed their long-term futures to Bolton Wanderers by signing new three-and-a-half year contracts with the club.

Defender Riley and forward O'Halloran have both penned deals which will keep them at the Reebok Stadium until the summer of 2015.

This follows on from Josh Vela, who signed a similar length contract with the Whites last week.

Manager Owen Coyle said: "I'm delighted to get the three young players on board.

"It follows on from what we have done in securing the signatures of Fabrice Muamba, Chung-Yong Lee and Mark Davies on long contracts, building for the future for the club.

"To secure these three, who are supremely talented and have tremendous potential, is very pleasing.

"They are the kind of players who have caught the eyes of other clubs, and it is right that they should, so it's important we made them Bolton Wanderers players for years to come."

20-year-old Riley has made three Premier League appearances this season and a further four in the cup competitions.

He said: "I'm really happy to be staying with the club that I have been with since I was seven.

"I've managed to play several games since making my debut in August and I'm aiming to play many more over the next three-and-a-half years.

"At the beginning of the season I didn't expect to be in the position that I am now. I believe I have improved and I owe a lot to the manager and coaching staff for giving me an opportunity.

"This contract takes me until I am 23-years-old, so I have to continue working hard and building on the progress that I have made over the last six months."

O'Halloran has made two first team appearances this season, making cameos from the substitutes' bench in the Carling Cup and FA Cup matches against Macclesfield Town at the Reebok Stadium.

The 21-year-old said: "I'm obviously pleased to have been offered this contract.

"I've had a taste of first team football this season and I want more, but I know that I have to carry on working hard and remaining focused."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Sluffy on Thu Feb 23 2012, 16:03; edited 1 time in total

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
Manager Owen Coyle said: "It follows on from what we have done in securing the signatures of Fabrice Muamba, Chung-Yong Lee and Mark Davies on long contracts, building for the future for the club."

Brilliant Owen. One you don't rate because you keep leaving him out, one is long-term injured and the other a one-good-game-in-eight player.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

O'Halloran's another - like Eaves and Odabeyi, who should either be getting opportunities by now at the age of 21 or being told to hop it. How many decent products of a PL youth system haven't even shown their face by the time they're 21?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Well Riley looked OK when he played so I guess it's good news.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton always like to have a few Vaz Te's around the place.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

O'halloran has got a bit about him, bit of pace.

probably won't make it but these are our "top" prospects. Sad really but the academy needs to produce, so we need to invest in the best we've got.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I guess they've all got to sh1t or get off the pan sooner or later. On the bright side it's a better scenario than having a squad full of Robbie Blakes who will warm the bench but get paid a lot more for doing it.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think if it came to it, Coyle would rather play Blake than a kid.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think he would, just depends on the kid.

Riley, O'halloren would get in the squad, they already have, and ahead of Blake.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:O'Halloran's another - like Eaves and Odabeyi, who should either be getting opportunities by now at the age of 21 or being told to hop it. How many decent products of a PL youth system haven't even shown their face by the time they're 21?

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Ajax team that played United last week fielded eight players from their Academy. The same Academy that produced Wesley Sneijder.

It's about time our Academy starts producing some decent young talent. Sammy Lee may have been brought in to shake things up but I was told on Saturday that Jimmy Phillips is still in charge of our Academy.

I like O'Halloran and Riley but I am nott sure that Vela can make it at the top level.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What has happened to Tom Eaves who scored a hat trick against us for Oldham in a pre season friendly ? There was talk when we signed him that he was one for the future.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He needs a lot of work IMO

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is he scoring many goals in the reserves ?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum