Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Corrie and racism (yes I know)

+6
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
xmiles
Soul Kitchen
Dunkels King
Triumph
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 08:16

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

For those of you who dont view Corrie here go's.
Paul (the fireman) was avin a game of darts int rovers and came out with 'come on play the white man' which Lloyd (Red Dwarf fame) took offence to and branded Paul a racist, My question is should such comments be branded as racist remarks? My view is no they should not, I have used the phrase many a time but not once have I meant it as a racist comment.No 

2Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 08:35

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

If you are white you cannot say a thing nowadays for fear of being branded a racist. "Play the White Man" was a very common saying at one time. On the Tornado aircraft they had switches on the Landing Gear called WOG switches which stands for "Weight on Ground". All through the 80s they were called WOG switches. Not any more ! They have to be called "Weight on Wheels" switches now. Political correction gone mad. They have a drink here in Germany known as a "Nigger". Can't imagine that going down too well in the UK (so to speak).

3Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 08:37

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's the usual pc/racist card shit! Can't have blackboards but white boards are ok! I object to white sauce, I find it offensive, and tomato sauce should be banned along with mint and apple!! It's a complete and utter disgrace to fruits and plants!?!

4Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 08:49

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Steady on SK. Nobody seriously objects to the word blackboard. Only bleeding heart liberal do gooders make a fuss about words like that. No black person does. It's the same idiots that think you can't say brainstorm and actually believed that some council had banned Baa Baa Black Sheep and replaced it with Baa Baa Green Sheep. This, like so many other PC gone mad stories, was invented by The Sun and/or The Daily Mail.

Other examples include black bin bags replaced with grey bin bags, banning the words nitty gritty, not being able to ask for a black coffee, and so on.

5Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 09:05

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Xmiles
It was a tongue in cheek comment like the rest of my post, hence going a bit silly.Very Happy

6Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 09:06

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Xmiles
It was a tongue in cheek comment like the rest of my post, hence going a bit silly.Very Happy

7Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 09:07

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Embarassed 

8Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 09:23

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

xmiles wrote:Embarassed 
Dont worry, got my silly head on this morning!

9Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 10:22

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Triumph wrote:For those of you who dont view Corrie here go's.
Paul (the fireman) was avin a game of darts int rovers and came out with 'come on play the white man' which Lloyd (Red Dwarf fame) took offence to and branded Paul a racist, My question is should such comments be branded as racist remarks? My view is no they should not, I have used the phrase many a time but not once have I meant it as a racist comment.No 

If you ask me the Corrie writers are fucking idiots for doing this, I mean if they are going to run with a serious racist story then surely they could have come up with something better and more hard hitting than that?

I say play the white man now and again for a bit of fun but not once have I ever thought it was racist.

10Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 11:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

School teachers are encouraged not to use the word Blackboard instead they should say Whiteboard or Noboboard. Accident Blackspots are now accident hotspots. In some cases I can understand it especially where the word black is used in a negative or derogatory way. I don't think it should be altered or changed in any way when it simply denotes colour.

Some of the craziest I have come across is not to ask for Black Coffee. The correct PC term is coffee no milk.

The best one I ever came across was when I worked for a large company in Trafford Park. Every year we used to get a list from head office and we had to carry out a stock take of items on the list to make sure they were still in the store.

On the inventory one of the items had had a line put through it in black pen and replaced with another word. The item was spade and had been replaced with the word shovel. I phoned up Admin to query why the word had been altered and some Jobsworth explained that the word spade could be deemed offensive by some people. I pointed out that a spade and a shovel were two different things, one being for digging and one being for shovelling. He replied with, " I know that and you know that but it's been agreed with management."

I left him with , " Imagine sat playing cards in a pub or club and come out with, pass me the Ace of Shovels. You would look a right plonker"

11Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 12:44

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Dunkels King wrote:If you are white you cannot say a thing nowadays for fear of being branded a racist. "Play the White Man" was a very common saying at one time. On the Tornado aircraft they had switches on the Landing Gear called WOG switches which stands for "Weight on Ground". All through the 80s they were called WOG switches. Not any more ! They have to be called "Weight on Wheels" switches now. Political correction gone mad. They have a drink here in Germany known as a "Nigger". Can't imagine that going down too well in the UK (so to speak).
So you would be able to say to your mate in the pub in germany lets see you down that nigger in one and it would be acceptable there?

12Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 13:22

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Reebok Trotter wrote:School teachers are encouraged not to use the word Blackboard instead they should say Whiteboard or Noboboard. Accident Blackspots are now accident hotspots. In some cases I can understand it especially where the word black is used in a negative or derogatory way. I don't think it should be altered or changed in any way when it simply denotes colour.

Some of the craziest I have come across is not to ask for Black Coffee. The correct PC term is coffee no milk.

The best one I ever came across was when I worked for a large company in Trafford Park. Every year we used to get a list from head office and we had to carry out a stock take of items on the list to make sure they were still in the store.

On the inventory one of the items had had a line put through it in black pen and replaced with another word. The item was spade and had been replaced with the word shovel. I phoned up Admin to query why the word had been altered and some Jobsworth explained that the word spade could be deemed offensive by some people. I pointed out that a spade and a shovel were two different things, one being for digging and one being for shovelling. He replied with, " I know that and you know that but it's been agreed with management."

I left him with , "  Imagine sat playing cards in a pub or club and come out with, pass me the Ace of Shovels. You would look a right plonker"

No no no! See my earlier post RT it's simply not true. The company you worked for obviously had idiots in their management. Most of this stuff is bullshit invented by The Sun and/or Daily Mail. Google it if you don't believe me.

13Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 13:49

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Angry Dad wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:If you are white you cannot say a thing nowadays for fear of being branded a racist. "Play the White Man" was a very common saying at one time. On the Tornado aircraft they had switches on the Landing Gear called WOG switches which stands for "Weight on Ground". All through the 80s they were called WOG switches. Not any more ! They have to be called "Weight on Wheels" switches now. Political correction gone mad. They have a drink here in Germany known as a "Nigger". Can't imagine that going down too well in the UK (so to speak).
So you would be able to say to your mate in the pub in germany lets see you down that nigger in one and it would be acceptable there?
Depends on where you are. In North Germany they don't like that term anymore and call that drink a "Diesel" or "Cola-Weißbier". Down in the depths of Bavaria and such like the older generations still use that term. Most of the young ones wouldn't use it. My point is that we have to change the names of things because they could be deemed offensive. RT has a good one with regards to the word "Spade".

14Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 13:49

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know that. They are commonly referred to as petty Jobsworths. ( in response to Xmiles )

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:57; edited 1 time in total

15Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 13:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree there are loads of examples of political correctness which are stupid and just based on the use of the word black. But in this case I do think it's racist as the meaning of the phrase is that white man = good man (and by implication not white = bad)
Even that's a stretch but I can understand why it could be construed as being racist.
Whereas blackboard is daft as there are no negative connotations - it's just a reference to the colour black.

16Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:50

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Presumably as well when you're at the Reebok and shout or sing 'come on you white men' or similar you're being racist. You can't sing Dougie Freedmans black and white army- that is so not cool because you are discriminating between black and white(presumably ) people.
You can't even use the name Freedman as that suggests that at one time the person concerned was not Free- he was a slave and only black people were slaves. So that's a racist name

17Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 22:22

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

What is the Spanish for black?

What do certain US rap starts call each other?

What is one Dutch word for black?

What is the one word that is still commonly used in Holland which actually means black friend?

18Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Wed Jul 17 2013, 22:33

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:What is the Spanish for black?

What do certain US rap starts call each other?

What is one Dutch word for black?

What is the one word that is still commonly used in Holland which actually means black friend?

Is this a quiz? If so I will have a stab.

1) Negro

2) Bro or Homie ?

3) Swart

4) Swartmaat

19Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Thu Jul 18 2013, 07:56

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

rammywhite wrote:Presumably as well when you're at the Reebok and shout or sing 'come on you white men' or similar you're being racist. You can't sing Dougie Freedmans black and white army- that is so not cool because you are discriminating between black and white(presumably ) people.
You can't even use the name Freedman as that suggests that at one time the person concerned was not Free- he was a slave and only black people were slaves. So that's a racist name
We play White/Navy not Black.Wink 

20Corrie and racism (yes I know) Empty Re: Corrie and racism (yes I know) Thu Jul 18 2013, 08:07

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

But we don't sing Dougie Freedmans navy and white Army. We might have to in future though! Then perhaps we'd be guilty of discrimination against the RAF -because we've missed them out!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum