Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman stands firm over Millwall's Liam Feeney recall claims

+4
doffcocker
terenceanne
wanderlust
karlypants
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman is not willing to be bullied into submission by Millwall to strike an early deal to sign Liam Feeney.

The Wanderers boss came out fighting yesterday after the Lions went public with their intention to call the in-form winger back early from a three-month loan.

Feeney has been a revelation since arriving at the Reebok three games ago but could be hauled back to South London on October 26.

Millwall boss Steve Lomas wants cash up front to fund his own signings – but Freedman is willing to call the Northern Irishman’s bluff, even if it means losing Feeney’s services until January.

Detailing the original deal, Freedman confirmed a fee was already in place to sign the 26-year-old on a permanent basis.

“We were told we must have him for three months; you can’t have him for a month, which I was delighted with,” he revealed. “And after the third month there is an option to buy him at X amount of money.

“I said to the chairman ‘that’s a good deal because after three months I can tell you if he is worth that sort of money’ Now, two games into that, people are saying ‘what’s your decision?’ “They were the ones who insisted we should have Liam for three months. The hiccup is there is a recall clause and it is their privilege to call him back.

“If they call him back after 28 days I can’t do a lot. But is the boy going to be upset going back to somewhere he wasn’t playing, low on confidence? You are going to have to ask him.”

Feeney was well out of the first team picture earlier this season but his stock has risen considerably in the last few weeks. The sale of James Henry to Wolves has also heightened Millwall’s search for a wide man.

It is understood that they are struggling to meet the financial demands of one potential signing, former Wolves midfielder Stephen Hunt, and that could explain their need for a speedier resolution.

“I did a deal and I am sticking to my side of the deal,” Freedman said yesterday. ”After three months we will give you a ‘yes or a no’ on this money. After two games it is difficult to say what we are going to do. Millwall are going to have to weigh up the situation.

“Is he going to come back happy and full of confidence? Or is he going to come back to somewhere he wasn’t playing? It is a decision that is out of our hands.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm glad DF isn't going to submit to blackmail on this one even if we lose Feeney. Too many recent managers have traded in a manner that has marked us down as a soft touch so it's good to have someone with the nads of a top poker player.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

A smart move would be to look for other loanees .... just in case.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

My head's spinning with all the Liam Feeney threads.
There's quite a few in general that could do with merging at the minute.

Just a suggestion.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:My head's spinning with all the Liam Feeney threads.

Just a suggestion.
I did think of that and wasn't sure so made a new thread, unfortunately I have no ability to merge the threads and delete what I have posted.

If people would prefer that then I will merge in future.

I would be nice to be able to modify a thread title so people know that it has been updated! Smile

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

500 posts in and KP thinks he should be a mod!

Delusions of grandeur.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Just a suggestion.
I would be nice to be able to modify a thread title so people know that it has been updated! Smile
This had to be a mod function otherwise we'd be seeing "pop legend Gary Glitter on how to handle our young footballers" before you knew it.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Just a suggestion.
This had to be a mod function otherwise we'd be seeing "pop legend Gary Glitter on how to handle our young footballers" before you knew it.
lol!  Even if you only had permission to modify your own thread titles and no other members?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:500 posts in and KP thinks he should be a mod!

Delusions of grandeur.
:facepalm:  I see your missing the point there again Natasha!

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

How about "Gary Glitter stands firm on young players"?

I'll get my coat. :zzz:

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Fair play to Douglas, Millwall are being wankers on this one.

I wonder if Millwall would have been so keen for the money if Feeney hadn't had such a good impact on the squad.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Milwall's attempt to basically force our hand is foolish. If feeney himself was unhappy/not playing then he's not likely to be pleased with an early recall and given that he's in the last year of his deal with them we could wind up getting him for zip at the end of the season. A very risky gamble by the Lions, one where they don't hold the cards to back it up.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's desperately pathetic from Millwall. Are they seriously demanding ransom for a player that's started two matches? What happens if we tell them to shove it up their arse, which we absolutely should? Feeney goes back, misses out on the rest of a loan spell he was enjoying, all because Millwall, who don't want him, wanted to play hardball.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum