Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman does not think Liam Feeney will be a double agent for Millwall

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Liam Feeney may have been behind enemy lines but Dougie Freedman is confident the former Whites winger will not be giving away any trade secrets to Millwall boss Steve Lomas when the two sides meet tomorrow.

There have been suggestions in the Lions camp Feeney may hold information key to unlocking the Wanderers defence at the Reebok but Freedman was in no mood to play spy games when he previewed the game at Euxton yesterday.

In fact, the Scot cheekily suggested former loanee Feeney – a confirmed January target – may have stood up well to questioning. “I think they will have him sat in a room picking his brains but I don’t know if Liam Feeney will tell him anything,” he told The Bolton News.

After employing a counter-attacking style to good effect at Bournemouth last week, Freedman is giving nothing away about how he will set about Millwall.

He is sure, however, that there is enough tactical flexibility in the team – and feels the ability to switch to a different style of play is something that has developed since he walked through the doors 12 months ago.

“As a young coach it gives me great pleasure coaching the guys, tactically,” he said. “When I came through the doors I felt that was missing.

There was a bit of nous missing.

“We have a couple of plans, strategies. If one isn’t working we can soon flip to another. In my eyes you have got to show respect to the opposition, make sure you nullify their strengths and then play on their weaknesses. Hopefully, that starts with Plan A.

“Most of the players, to their credit, are picking up what they are supposed to do on and off the ball. Games can be won off the ball which was shown at Bournemouth last week.”

One of the key men in Freedman’s strategy has been Jay Spearing, who was recognised for his work over the last 12 months by collecting the North West Championship Fotballer of the Year award earlier in the week.

Freedman paid tribute to the 24-year-old for severing ties with Premier League Liverpool – a club he had represented since the age of seven – to find more regular football with Wanderers.

“Jay was fantastic last year and that’s why we were desperate to bring him back permanently,” he said. “He is what I am all about. He is working hard for the team, he is working hard for the supporters and I think that has got him that trophy.

“It shows a lot of courage to come out of a top team like Liverpool and want to go and play football. Not many players want to do that these days. They want to sit back down, pick up their money and pretend to play.

“But Jay showed courage to come out and play, and play very well. He is determined, a 100 per center with a never say die attitude. But he has also got other qualities.”

The defensive side of Spearing’s game has been a major factor in his popularity on the terraces but Freedman also reckons he can become an all-round midfielder.

“He has passing ability, which can get better this season, and drive but that’s why he has come here to improve these things,” he said.

“They are there but we just need to get them out of him. He is a very good player. He has got the characteristics to win games of football.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum