Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you still support the Wanderers if it was being funded by illegal money?

+12
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
Copper Dragon
Barryjw
wanderlust
Reebok_Rebel
scottjames30
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just to make clear first of all that this is simply a hypothetical question.

There are two things that prompt me to ask it though, firstly my opinion that someone other than Davies as been pumping millons into the club for no obvious apparent benefit to themselves and the complete over the top reaction by many (again in my opinion) in respect of the Quick Quid shirt sponsorship.

Let's just suppose that it turns out that illegal money is being pumped into the club in order to 'legitimise' it, would it matter where this money came from - just as long as BWFC benefitted from it?

Are there shades of grey here?  Would it make a difference if say the money came from tax avoidence (say money earned 'cash in hand' that has not been declared to the tax man) rather than 'dirty' money say from drugs or prostitution activities?

Would you rather see the club go broke and possibly out of existence or would you prefer say to accept money that as come from the exploitation of people (say sweatshop labourers being paid 10p per day working for Whittam International, making trainers?

Would you rather see us go into Administration rather than say the money come from exploiting the planet - say by Whittam's clearing much of the Amazon rain forest to breed cattle to put into McWimpey burgers and other fat fast food that kills you?

Would you be happier to have the moral high ground and be pure and maybe watch the club sink because of it, or would you tolerate murky deeds that are outside of the law, to keep the club going?

Would you want Bolton to do well even if it meant making the fat cats behind the club now, getting even fatter, or would you rather us struggle but knowing that all is honest and above board throughout the club and how it opperates?

How would you feel if it turned out that someone like Quick Quid's themselves (or some other pay day lender, or similar) where the money men behind Davies, and that they rather than he owned the club - would you still head down to the Reebok to cheer on the grossly overpaid lads?

Where do you draw the line on things?

Last edited by Sluffy on Fri Jan 17 2014, 00:33; edited 1 time in total

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I want my club to do well, if this was by using "dirty" money then so be it.  I bet most of the club owners have benefitted from "dirty" money.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It's a game though - or at least football used to be.

Does it mean so much to people that they rather see our club break the law rather than see them be honest and struggle?

There was so much fuss over the Quick Quid sponsorship, would it not be hypocratic then of people to turn a blind eye to money obtained illegally - maybe even from selling drugs - just as long as Bolton benefitted?

Just assuming all the other clubs are doing it, does that make it right for us to do it as well?

Think Lance Armstrong the cyclist. All the other cyclist at the time were taking drugs - if Armstrong did not take drugs too he could not beat the others, so he too broke the rules to win.

Was Armstrong wrong to take drugs and win - if so wouldn't it be the same us taking illegal money to improve ourselves too?

Is it not a form of cheating? We would be better off by taking 'illegal' money than clubs who are being honest and having much less income to spend on improving themselves - not because we are better than them if all else was equal.

Is something earned honestly and by hard work worth far more than something that is come by easily and illegally? Or is honesty and integrity just something that fools and idealists value these days?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Of course i would.

Id support them no matter what.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I want my club to do well, if this was by using "dirty" money then so be it.  I bet most of the club owners have benefitted from "dirty" money.

^ this.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:It's a game though - or at least football used to be.

Does it mean so much to people that they rather see our club break the law rather than see them be honest and struggle?

There was so much fuss over the Quick Quid sponsorship, would it not be hypocratic then of people to turn a blind eye to money obtained illegally - maybe even from selling drugs - just as long as Bolton benefitted?

Just assuming all the other clubs are doing it, does that make it right for us to do it as well?

Think Lance Armstrong the cyclist.  All the other cyclist at the time were taking drugs - if Armstrong did not take drugs too he could not beat the others, so he too broke the rules to win.

Was Armstrong wrong to take drugs and win - if so wouldn't it be the same us taking illegal money to improve ourselves too?

Is it not a form of cheating?  We would be better off by taking 'illegal' money than clubs who are being honest and having much less income to spend on improving themselves - not because we are better than them if all else was equal.

Is something earned honestly and by hard work worth far more than something that is come by easily and illegally?  Or is honesty and integrity just something that fools and idealists value these days?

What about people like Roman Abromovich?

ALL his money has come from killing and stealing land during the last years of the USSR. He is Ex-KGB, spent time in prison apparently. nobody seems to give a shit about that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Man city's owners have some serious skeletons in the closet as well.

Anyone who has vast amounts of money has never been totally honest and above board, its wrong, but its how the world works.

War, Famine, oppression, corruption etc - millions suffer from it, but a select few benefit.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The QQ debacle showed that BWFC fans want the moral high ground on the one hand, but crave success on the other.
I think that there is so much corruption around it wouldn't upset me too much if our owners were dodgy as long as they don't get caught/exposed as it's the club's reputation and progress which is important to me.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Like most I would support the club through thick and thin blissfully unaware of where the finance comes from.

If it were proven that the funding was sourced illegally, I'd be petitioning for change and would boycott the club until it was resolved.

And all these comments along the lines of "I don't care where the money comes from" are, in my opinion, a sad indictment of where we've come to as a society.

"Yeah, I know that the purchase of our latest striker was financed by trafficking teenage girls for prostitution, but hey....he's scored 5 in 6, so I'm happy!"

Seriously.....?

It's a fucking game, people........

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:If it were proven that the funding was sourced illegally, I'd be petitioning for change and would boycott the club until it was resolved.

And all these comments along the lines of "I don't care where the money comes from" are, in my opinion, a sad indictment of where we've come to as a society.

"Yeah, I know that the purchase of our latest striker was financed by trafficking teenage girls for prostitution, but hey....he's scored 5 in 6, so I'm happy!"

Seriously.....?

It's a fucking game, people........

Thank god for that, a bit of morality on this thread.  :like: 

Cheers, Cop, but based on the tone of his comments, I think Sluffy got there first, guided by his own moral compass.

I know Bill Shankly said football's more important than life and death, but it's fucking not.

And this interminable pursuit of success / money that Sky TV peddle 24/7 isn't helping.

People have been taken in by the hype and truly lost sight of what football should be about and it's rotten.

When you get to the point where people are saying "I don't care if our owners are dodgy bastards who fuck people over and commit god only knows what crimes to succeed, so long as we beat Brighton and get in the play-offs, I'm happy", then you know the whole thing's fucked....

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not even sure I support Bolton anymore. There must be more to life than watching useless wankers attempt to play football.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I want the club to be successful because they represent my hometown, but there's definitely a limit to that. 
I reckon a lot of people would still be giving it the "I love my club very very much and will do for ever and ever no matter what" if Tony Soprano were majority shareholder.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm not even sure I support Bolton anymore. There must be more to life than watching useless wankers attempt to play football.

:clap:

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm not even sure I support Bolton anymore. There must be more to life than watching useless wankers attempt to play football.
How much do Chorley charge to get in and do they sell decent pies?

If it's cheap enough and the pies aren't full of wang, I might be tempted...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
How much do Chorley charge to get in and do they sell decent pies?

If it's cheap enough and the pies aren't full of wang, I might be tempted...

I'm going to watch Chorley v Skelmersdale tomorrow afternoon, top of the table clash. Big crowd expected, should be an excellent atmosphere.

I urge others to ditch BWFC and find a club that actually gives a shit about its fans and the players aren't overpaid wankers.

Thanks for the ringing endorsement of Chorley, but you haven't answered either of my questions.

Are you a real Chorley fan or just a bandwagon jumper......?

I have my suspicions......

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our company sponsor Chorley FC. Reckon I might get in free. Although we didn't even get a Christmas drink off em this year.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I'm going to watch Chorley v Skelmersdale tomorrow afternoon

I bet you aren't. And even if you do you'll spend most of the game trying to find out the bolton score...

You're forever a wanderer

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Thanks for the ringing endorsement of Chorley, but you haven't answered either of my questions.

Are you a real Chorley fan or just a bandwagon jumper......?

I have my suspicions......

Can you see me eating a pie? I take my own prawn sandwiches.

It costs £9 to stand.

I am definitely a bandwagon jumper, but I'm tiring of the shite served up at BWFC.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum