Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, Holy warriors.

+10
B.D.P
Natasha Whittam
Banks of the Croal
boltonbonce
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Sluffy
scottjames30
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

You do know the Muslims beat the Christians on this one don't you Scotty?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:You do know the Muslims beat the Christians on this one don't you Scotty?

I wouldn't say that , Sluffy, watch it, Saladin was a beaten man, Lionheart got to the doors of Jerusalem, then turned away, nobody won, he got his name Lionheart in acre, I think that Saladin was scared of Richard.

The Muslims got Battered really.

And you do also know that Richard the Lionheart was a Frenchy and not English, don't you Scotty...?

And St George was actually Turkish......

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know he didn't speak English, but in then days, northern France was England.

He still was the hardest king ever though.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The Crusades were basically about the Christians moving the Muslims (well Islamists) out of the Holy land.

They went on over a course of a couple of hundred years and at the end of that time the Muslims were still there!

In fact it was only until Lawrence of Arabia kicked the Turks out during the First World War, that the Christians really had any say in the Holy Lands directly, and that didn't last very long with first the Arabs and then the Jews taking up power there.

Read up about the Balfour Declaration if you are interested to know why the Jews are there now and not the Arabs whose land it really is.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Saladin was the greatest leader of all time (Islam), but he shit himself when Lionheart was at the gates of Jerusalem, he was preparing for him to take over, he was weak.

God knows why Richard went all that way, slaughtering thousands of Muslims, in Acre, moving to the City, then turning away at the last minute .

I think David Starkey could learn a lot about making history accessible to the masses from Scotty.......

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A Muslim historian said Richard was unstoppable for his quest, I know who I believe .

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

scottjames30 wrote:I know he didn't speak English, but in then days, northern France was England.

He still was the hardest king ever though.

No, that's probably Edward III.

Between him and his son - The Black Prince - they took on the then world super power - France, and twatted them on their own soil.

In the end they had massive wins at both Crecy and the Poitiers which ended up with then capturing the French King, a massive part of his country and brought France basically to its knees.

It was only the onset of the Black Death (germ warfare!) that stopped us from a total victory over them.

I know it sounds rather nerdy of me to know all this but the Hundred Years War period, which really isn't spoken much about in schools (or anywhere else these days) is really a very interesting and exciting period for England - the first time we became 'great' really after being stood on by the Saxons (German), Romans (Italy) the Vikings (Norway, Sweeden, Denmark) and finally the Normans (French).

Shakespeare - I can see you rolling your eyes! - wrote some fantastic stuff about this period - they truly are great story's if you can get into them - which culmanated in his play Henry V and the magnificient victory at Agincourt.

That's were the French said they would cut off our bow mens two fingers - hence why we first started to flick them the V sign!

(The last bit is not true bit does make a good story!).

Sluffy - History bore!

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No Sluffy, that was lionheart, just watch the video ?

Not disagreeing with you, Scotty, I was commenting on your style.

You're like the site's resident Punk Historian.

"Adolf Hitler - Right twat." - Scott James.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's the best compliment that I've ever had, I feel great now.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The importance of history is that past events can alter the present and shape the future. It seems to me that what happened during the crusades is simply a case of history repeating itself, Vis a vis the current conflict between Islam and Christianity.

FWIW I think the best way forward for the safety of all mankind would be to ban all religion.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who cares, this is a great piece of history?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

scottjames30 wrote:No Sluffy, that was lionheart, just watch the video ?

The video isn't real Scott!

I know this is from Wiki but it does give the historical facts - and not the 'drama' of the video -

Third Crusade

Hattin and the fall of Jerusalem prompted the Third Crusade (1189–1192), financed in England by a special "Saladin tithe". Richard I of England (Richard the Lionheart) led Guy's siege of Acre, conquered the city and executed 3,000 Muslim prisoners, including women and children.[99] Bahā' ad-Dīn wrote:

The motives of this massacre are differently told; according to some, the captives were slain by way of reprisal for the death of those Christians whom the Musulmans had slain. Others again say that the king of England, on deciding to attempt the conquest of Ascalon, thought it unwise to leave so many prisoners in the town after his departure. God alone knows what the real reason was.[99]

Saladin retaliated by killing all Franks captured from 28 August–10 September. Bahā' ad-Dīn wrote: "Whilst we were there they brought two Franks to the Sultan (Saladin) who had been made prisoners by the advance guard. He had them beheaded on the spot."[100] The armies of Saladin engaged in combat with the army of King Richard at the Battle of Arsuf on 7 September 1191, at which Saladin's forces were defeated. After the battle of Arsuf, Richard moved his forces towards Ascalon. Anticipating Richard's next move, Saladin emptied the city and camped a few miles away. When Richard arrived at the city, he was stunned to see it abandoned and the towers demolished. The next day when Richard was preparing to retreat to Jaffa, Saladin attacked his Army. After a furious battle, Richard managed to save some of his troops and retreated to Ascalon. This was the last major battle between the two forces. All military attempts and battles made by Richard the Lionheart to re-take Jerusalem were defeated and failed. Richard only had 2,000 fit soldiers and 50 fit knights to use in battle. With such a small force, he could not expect or hope to take Jerusalem although he got near enough to see the Holy City. Saladin's relationship with Richard was complicated despite their military rivalry. At Arsuf, when Richard lost his horse, Saladin sent him two replacements. Richard proposed that his sister, Joan of England, Queen of Sicily, should marry Saladin's brother and that Jerusalem could be their wedding gift. However, the two men never met face to face and communication was either written or by messenger. As leaders of their respective factions, the two men came to an agreement in the Treaty of Ramla in 1192, whereby Jerusalem would remain in Muslim hands but would be open to Christian pilgrimages. The treaty reduced the Latin Kingdom to a strip along the coast from Tyre to Jaffa.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Agree with what Sluffy has said so far but a couple more facts about Richard I

Born in Oxford 8/9/1157 - Died and buried in Anjou, France 6/4/1199

He also ruled as Duke of Normandy (as Richard IV), Duke of Aquitaine, Duke of Gascony, Lord of Cyprus, Count of Anjou, Count of Maine, Count of Nantes, and Overlord of Brittany at various times during the same period. Richard spoke langue d'oïl, a French dialect, and Occitan, a Romance language spoken in southern France and nearby regions. He lived in his Duchy of Aquitaine in the southwest of France and spent very little time in England, preferring to use his kingdom as a source of revenue to support his armies.

Funnily enough, just explained this to someone else on another non-football related forum! Spooky!!!

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well you guys know more than historians , you better knock his statue down outside the houses of parliament.

Still the hardest king ever though.

And what were all them historians on about in that video, Amos knows best  Laughing

Wiki  Laughing

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, Holy warriors. BhOIcZIIcAAaO-T

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thats it.

Sponsored content