Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Till I Die!

+3
boltonbonce
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Bolton Till I Die! Empty Bolton Till I Die! Thu May 08 2014, 21:02

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

And that's 78.38 years for us lot apparently!

A survey's been done on the life expectency of the areas around league football clubs and we've come out as the 15th healthiest club in England (they obviously didn't take a look around Daubill recently!).

We didn't do so well on obesity - equiverlent to just outside the Championship play off position (27th in England) and we've fallen as far as 10th in league 1 for binge drinking (hic).

Full table of clubs for anyone interested here -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Thu May 08 2014, 22:44

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was me thinking I had my own thread Sad

3Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 00:07

What are the stats on former Boltonians who have moved away?

From our perspective on Nuts, I think that'd be a useful indicator.

I know I've only moved 12 miles, but Bolton runs through me like a dose of the shits.

(In a good way, obviously.)

Can I now expect to live longer because I no longer come under Cliff Morris' (evil mind) control and my bins are a different colour to Mum & Dad's.......?

I need to know.......

4Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 07:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've lived in Warrington since 1989,and stats on the diaspora would be very interesting. I can't say my drinking habits have changed much,but this is pretty much a rugby league town and a hard drinking one at that. Wearing a Wanderers shirt in my local Asda results in some people pointing at you as if you have some kind of disfigurement! My mate, who hails from Derby,is convinced that Boltonians are on average the shortest and fattest people in the UK! Bastard!

5Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 08:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Once again that would put us below Derby (height-wise).

It seems Megson did have a good point to make and we all missed it!

6Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 14:13

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Megson is the ultimate swear word. Please moderate yourself sluffy!

7Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 14:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

For what it is worth I think Megson was better than how most people viewed him. At least he had a plan and it worked, unlike Coyle who I rate as the worst fulltime Bolton manager in my lifetime.

I rather see Freedman in a similar way to Megson.

Both having a desire to get results rather than pleasing performances, not popular with the fans, dire football to watch (mostly).

I do have hope in Freedman yet though.

8Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:20

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Sluffy - are u pissed or just taking the piss???

DF isn't worthy of lacing Coyle's boots yet in the managerial stakes. Coyles first 16 months in the Prem were a huge success. Yes we were ultimately relegated, but that season was unbelievable. Holden and Lee with broken legs. Muamba cardiac arrest. And Gary Speeds suicide!! No manager on the planet could have that much bad luck and still take us to the last game of the season. DF is a bog standard Champo manager and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as a Prem manager!!!

9Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:30

CEF wrote:Sluffy - are u pissed or just taking the piss???

DF isn't worthy of lacing Coyle's boots yet in the managerial stakes. Coyles first 16 months in the Prem were a huge success. Yes we were ultimately relegated, but that season was unbelievable. Holden and Lee with broken legs. Muamba cardiac arrest. And Gary Speeds suicide!! No manager on the planet could have that much bad luck and still take us to the last game of the season. DF is a bog standard Champo manager and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as a Prem manager!!!

How would you describe Coyle's transfer dealings? 

We all know how awful he was tactically, 442 and hope for the best no matter who the opposition were.

10Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:36

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Speeds death was desperately sad but I don't see what bearing it had on our success.

11Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:38

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Yes, I know with hindsight exactly what his shortcomings were. But to try and compare DF with OC is madness. DF has no CV and needs to seriously pull his finger out next season!!

12Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:42

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Hipster- try and imagine what it must have been like in the dressing room. Football is a family and a large number of that squad had played with him. Whatever we all think with regards to pampered overpaid prima donnas, it will have still hurt. And then a player drops dead on the pitch. Thankfully now recovered, but still a shocking period for a club to deal with.

13Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:50

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree about the Muamba incident I think that was extremely shocking for all involved. Ran deep.

14Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 18:56

CEF wrote:Yes, I know with hindsight exactly what his shortcomings were. But to try and compare DF with OC is madness. DF has no CV and needs to seriously pull his finger out next season!!

True he does need to pull his finger out. But the lack of CV means very little in terms of his qualities as a manager for us now, we need to completely overhaul the squad. I'd trust Dougie to pick cheap talent over Coyle every time, regardless of Coyle's promotion with Burnley.

15Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 19:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

CEF wrote:Sluffy - are u pissed or just taking the piss???

Neither mate!

Let me give you a few facts back - feel free to check them out if you doubt them.

Coyle's record for the first half season he was given the job was more or less identical to the roughly half season Megson was sacked for.

Iirc correctly we won the last game of that season which was basically the difference in the stats between the two.

The following season we did indeed have a good run up to Christmas but we had relegation form from there on in - long, long before the Stoke Wembley debacle.

The following season we got relegated even though we were still the bookies favourites not too with just three games to go.

That season Coyle gave the club its worst home record in our 139 year history!!!

His performance with the team who were clear favourites to bounce right back to the Premier was nothing short than woeful.  His performance since at Wigan mirrored that and you only have to look how Wigan's done since he was sacked to see how once again he had no clue how to manage a team.

His dealings in the transfer market have been shocking - big money for us spent on players such as Ngog, Sordell, Mills as well as stupidly high wages and contract lengths given to players such as Pratley (5 years!!!), Andrews, Mears, Knight (a further 2 year contract) and even Kevin Davies for an extra year when he had clearly gone past his sell by date.

He clearly only had one plan on the pitch and that was 4-4-2 with two attacking wingers - leaving our defence completely exposed.  Everybody we played knew what to expect, planned for it - and usually beat us!

Yes the death of Speed was a shock but he had already left the team and the club was already in transition with plenty of players who had not known him now at the club.

Muamba's illness was a shock too BUT if you were to look at the stats Coyle had long since stopped using him as a regular in the team.

Probably the most daming moment for me about Coyle's tenure was the January transfer window when the team was crying out for a Holden replacement for midfield and instead he went out and panicked bought Sordell - clearly without any research on him at all.

His dumping of the backroom staff - medical and performance proved a disaster and his team training - playing 5 a sides - was a joke and even senior players commented on this late in his regieme.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but factually our performances during Coyles reign were dreadful and I honestly believe we are in the mess we are in now because of him as any competant manager would not have signed the crap he did, tied them to the club on long contracts and top money, nor had got relegated with the squad he had at his disposal.

We still have the millstones of Andrews, Sordell, and Preatley around our necks for at least another season and I know for a fact Wigan supporters feel the same way as to how he's lumbered them in a similar way with the signings of the likes of Grant Holt!

The facts show that Coyle enjoyed just half a season of success with us and my God we've paid a heavy price since for that brief spell.

That's why I judge him as the worst fulltime Wanderers manager in my lifetime.

16Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 19:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Compared to Phil Neal Coyle was Pep Guardiola.

17Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 19:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The comeback started under Phil Neal imo.

18Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 19:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:The comeback started under Phil Neal imo.
He signed Andy Walker. I can think of little else to commend him.But I've had these arguments for years,and it's all about opinions. I'm probably still mad about Phil taking us into the old fourth division. I can still feel the pain.

19Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 19:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

He led us out too (and the play offs for the next two seasons) and we never looked back since until Coyle got us relegated (against the odds!), spent what was left of our transfer money on duds and tied players like Mears, Sordell, Pratley, Andrews etc, to us on long and very expensive wages which have simply blown away any financial flexibility (other than short term loans) to do anything to get us out of the mess we are in.

20Bolton Till I Die! Empty Re: Bolton Till I Die! Sat May 10 2014, 20:05

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Sluffy - a commendable reply with many good points. But don't fudge the issue here. DF has never managed in the Prem and probably never will.

Don't misunderstand my point - I fully understand Coyle's short-comings. I just think he got unlucky in our relegation season and actually conducted himself very well all considered.

Some of his signings were bad, but even Big Sam made some bad calls. My issue isn't around Coyle. I worry that DF isn't up to the job. Our best players are actually OC signings and besides the odd good loanee, DF's signings have been pretty shit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum