Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers manager Dougie Freedman eyes up swoop for Birmingham City winger Chris Burke

+3
wanderlust
Reebok_Rebel
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are eyeing up a summer swoop for Birmingham City winger Chris Burke.

Dougie Freedman wants to add a goal-scoring wide man to his squad and has earmarked the 30-year-old as a potential bargain.

Burke’s contract at St Andrews is up this summer and while the cash-strapped Blues have offered him a deal to stay in the Midlands, he is thought to be considering his options.

Wanderers are unlikely to be alone in monitoring the former Rangers man, with Leeds United, Derby County and Nottingham Forest all linked strongly with him in the past.

Burke was part of the Birmingham side that survived by the skin of their teeth at the Reebok on the final day of the season but the financial problems at the club mean they are having to cut costs further.

Both Burke and big striker Nikola Zigic – one of the scorers in the 2-2 draw – have been offered 12-month contracts on a severely-reduced salary.

Though the Scot is happy in the Midlands, where he has spent the last three years since signing from Cardiff City, a move to Wanderers could be financially attractive.

Neil Danns’ six strikes aside, Wanderers suffered for goals from midfield last season, with Chung-Yong Lee, Jay Spearing, Darren Pratley and Medo Kamara netting two apiece, and Mark Davies, Rob Hall and Liam Trotter just once.

Burke has been a regular scorer in the Birmingham ranks over the last three years, scoring 25 league goals in his time with the Blues.

It is understood that Burke’s Champion-ship experience is another asset Freedman is keen to harness – lending him an edge over another reported target Liam Feeney.

Feeney was released by Millwall on Friday, and has been widely tipped to tie up a deal with Blackburn Rovers.

Liam Trotter was not named on the list, with his move to Wanderers still waiting to be confirmed by both clubs.

Source

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

why are we not going after Zidic?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OMG

karlypants wrote:It is understood that Burke’s Champion-ship experience is another asset Freedman is keen to harness – lending him an edge over another reported target Liam Feeney.
That doesn't even make sense, except I assume in Dougie's world.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

OneFinFreedman wrote:
karlypants wrote:It is understood that Burke’s Champion-ship experience is another asset Freedman is keen to harness – lending him an edge over another reported target Liam Feeney.
That doesn't even make sense, except I assume in Dougie's world.

Means he's cheaper.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Means Feeney struggles to get regular football.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderlust, how many times have you seen Feeney play?

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who admits he's hardly seen Bolton play.

Natasha Whittam wrote:Wanderlust, how many times have you seen Feeney play?

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who admits he's hardly seen Bolton play.

That comments more to do with him being able to understand English than anything to do with Feeney's perceived talent.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

That comments more to do with him being able to understand English than anything to do with Feeney's perceived talent.

Don't get clever, you don't always have to defend your fellow Happy Clappers you know.

I'm just pointing out your glaring error. Don't be bitter about it.

Feeney has made close to hundred appearances in the last 3 seasons, which is pretty experienced in my book. So to say Burke has the edge because he has experience (he's 4 years older than Feeney) doesn't make sense.

Feeney has made less than 100 appearances in the championship. Burke has made nearly 250 plus 7 years at Rangers so i get the point they're making. Don't know if I'd sign either though, does our best formation have out and out wingers? Im not so sure.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

If we are going to play with a centre forward like Juke then a genuine winger is needed.

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Would be a really good signing IMO. He's always looked really decent to me when I've seen him. Much more consistent than Feeney from what I've seen.First evidence I've seen for ages that Freedman has any idea what he's doing.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he would be a good signing on a free, i thought he had a great game against us and was surprised Clark subbed him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum