Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers in hunt for new defender

+3
aaron_bwfc
Norpig
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers were on the hunt for defensive cover last night as Dougie Freedman looked to build on a first win of the season.

Facing a hectic schedule of five games in 14 days, the Whites boss confirmed that he was lining up a short-term deal for a defender before this weekend’s trip to Wolves.

Freedman is known to be interested in Nottingham Forest utility man Greg Halford, while two former Crystal Palace defenders, Peter Ramage and Paddy McCarthy, have also been told they can leave Selhurst Park on loan and could interest the Scot.

“I think we need to bring in an extra body at the back to cope with the games we have got coming up,” said the manager. “With two midweek games and then Wolves and Derby I just want to make extra sure that we have got cover – so that’s what we’ll be looking to do.”

The club had yet to officially confirm goalkeeper Paddy Kenny or striker Max Clayton as The Bolton News went to press, although Freedman revealed after the 3-2 win over Rotherham United that both deals were formalities.

Freedman was keen to maintain a sense of perspective after Joe Mason’s hat-trick sealed a thrilling first win of the season.

Pressure remains on the manager’s shoulders to continue a climb away from the bottom three.

But he has been pleased with the character shown by his players in difficult circumstances, and now wants them to build on their midweek win.

“It’s always better to win with a bit of passion and pride,” he said. “I wouldn’t describe it as a relief to get the result, more that it backed up what I always believed the players were capable of.

“I still expect more from them. That’s the kind of guy I am.

“I try and stay calm and not get too carried away with one result but I do want to give some praise to the players because it was them who turned it around.

“I’ve been in that situation as a player and it is very, very difficult to dig in, and turn in round when there is so much expectation on your shoulders.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

if we are so short on defenders why have we now let White go on loan to Carlisle for a month?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

FFS, I'm all for going back to your old club to pick up a couple of decent players but surely Dougie's scouting network stretches beyond Palace.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've hardly got any players from palace in the grand scheme of things, 4 or 5? Correct me If I'm wrong, over his whole tenure. And obviously it stretches beyond palace because he's singed countless players from all over. 

Is it really that egregious? Getting people you know well and like isn't a bad thing (whatever personal opinions of the players might be) 

It's more about the names than the palace link lets be honest. If he went after Bolasie and Yedinak would people be saying "FFS PALACE?!?!" No they'd be saying quality signings.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Egregious! someones been watching too much QI!

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:We've hardly got any players from palace in the grand scheme of things, 4 or 5? Correct me If I'm wrong, over his whole tenure. And obviously it stretches beyond palace because he's singed countless players from all over. 

People want to see some imagination in how we sign players.

The fact that a good chunk of his signings have been players he's worked with before tells you there might be a shortage of this.

It's not just the ones he's signed directly from Palace, it's players he knows from when he was at Palace as well as Southend and Leeds.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just want to see good players personally.

obviously there's been a shortage of those.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I just want to see good players personally.

Me too.

And it would be quite a coincidence if the best ones within our grasp just happened to have worked with Freedman before.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope that's not the Peter Ramage who used to play at Newcastle. He's like Nicky Hunt's skinnier, weaker, shiter brother.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Nicky Hunt who would have been captain by now?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:The Nicky Hunt who would have been captain by now?

If he hadn't been let go, yes. We're hardly strong at right back or in the leadership stakes.

The same Nicky Hunt who (to lift a comment from another thread) "ended up playing for somebody shit like Accrington".......?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nicky Hunt always played like he still had the coat hanger in his shirt.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Nicky Hunt always played like he still had the coat hanger in his shirt.

Better than playing with a jellyfish in his y-fronts like the current back four.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum