Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Living the dream, baby!

+8
gloswhite
wanderlust
karlypants
Mr Magoo
Soul Kitchen
bwfc71
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Living the dream, baby! Empty Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:00 pm

When I was a kid, if someone had said to me that I'd grow up to become a bloke who spends his days standing in a factory, watching people pack bread and cakes into boxes and trying to get them to do it more efficiently, I'd probably have thrown myself off a tall building.

There was no way that was going to be my life (I didn't even know that was a job), I was going to fly a Tornado jet for the RAF and live a dead glamorous lifestyle.

But sadly, the big wigs at the Officer Aircrew Selection Board at RAF Biggin Hill in 1988 had other ideas......

We all know that Nat's done very well and Magoo does.....whatever it is that Magoo does, but are they doing what they always wanted to do?

And is anybody doing their "dream job" or have we all just fallen into doing things that we never saw ourselves doing when we were kids?

2Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was always my dream to be Bolton's biggest fan and lord it over internet plebs like yourself.

3Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:19 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was gonna be a game warden or a footballing God at Burnden.
I gave up on the game warden dream after discovering that Lions weren't part of the native fauna of Farnworth.
The footballing dream came close. I was offered a trial with Blackpool,but decided not to turn up,because as far as I was concerned it was Bolton or forget it.
Then hormones kicked in,and I stopped playing,apart from the odd game with the works team.
How the Wanderers missed me I'll never know. I could have been a legend.
Mind you,I'm a top man with a lawn mower,so I night get to cut the grass at the Macron.

4Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Natasha Whittam wrote:It was always my dream to be Bolton's biggest fan and lord it over internet plebs like yourself.

Yes, fine...but neither of those things are "jobs", are they?

So my question still stands: Did you set out own an internationally renowned string of brothels or did it just happen?

5Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:26 pm

boltonbonce wrote:I was gonna be a game warden or a footballing God at Burnden.
I gave up on the game warden dream after discovering that Lions weren't part of the native fauna of Farnworth.

I see where you're coming from with that.

I looked into working for the National Trust as a Ranger but the money was shit.

And I didn't fancy being involved in the "culling" side of things.

6Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:42 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I once had a Saturday job with our local vet.
I thought it was going to be a doddle,but I was often present when old and much loved pets were put down,and the anguish of their owners stayed with me for years.
It made me wonder about the emotional investment of owning a pet.
My Dad remained stoical when his parents died,and didn't show his grief to the world at large,but broke down completely when the dog died.
I had a similar reaction to losing my own dog. I stayed calm at the hospital when my Dad died,but lost it at the vets when my old springer had to go.
It seems unnatural,but I've heard the same type of story from many other people.
Not had a dog since 2010. Seems to hurt more as you get older.
But cheer up,it's Christmas. santa

7Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

So my question still stands: Did you set out own an internationally renowned string of brothels or did it just happen?

To be honest I went into the family business and now I'm trapped. Hence why I spend so much time on here.

8Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:56 pm

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Currently enjoying my working lifestyle - contract work is far better than being tied down to one place.  So far this year I have been with 4 companies all on short term contracts and all have been extended at least once.

Not your common everyday all-centre contactor but a financial contractor who goes in on special FCA projects or training contracts.  Currently doing one project in which I am helping to establish a new Interest Only Mortgage collections team and bring it into line with the new FCA regulations that were introduced in April this year.  And that does mean some travelling as well :-)

Far cry from the easily mundane permanent jobs I had in the past, plus the pay is better!!! ;-)

Last edited by bwfc71 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Boncey,

Taking your dog on that "last trip" to the vets is one of the worst things I've ever had to do.

I've done it twice and both times, it's reduced me to a blubbering wreck.

I vowed we'd never have another dog after the last time but that resolve only lasted about three weeks until Mrs B suggested we "just go and have a look at some Lab pups - we don't have to get one" in Blackburn.

I wonder if anybody has ever been viewing a litter of puppies and walked away saying "Nah, didn't fancy any of them, we'll leave it...."

I doubt it.

10Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:Currently enjoying my working lifestyle - contract work is far better than being tied down to one place.  So far this year I have been with 4 companies all on short term contracts and all have been extended at least once.

Not your common everyday all-centre contactor but a financial contractor who goes in on special FCA projects or training contracts.  Currently doing one project in which I am helping to establish a new Interest On Mortgage collections team and bring it into line with the new FCA regulations that were introduced in April this year.  And that does mean some travelling as well :-)

Far cry from the easily mundane permanent jobs I had in the past, plus the pay is better!!! ;-)

I thought you were opening a restaurant franchise?

11Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:05 pm

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I still have that happening in The Netherlands along with other partners in the business, hence why I go back quite often, but whilst I am currently based here in Notlob, I still have the need to work!!!

12Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:07 pm

bwfc71 wrote:I still have that happening in The Netherlands along with other partners in the business, hence why I go back quite often, but whilst I am currently based here in Notlob, I still have the need to work!!!

I agree about contract work being miles better than permanent stuff.

You can basically do the exact same job but charge them double what they'd pay if you worked for them directly.

It's crazy but I'm not complaining.

13Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have achieved everything I wanted in life at work and play. 
Only had odd days when I've not wanted to go to work and as such,  consider myself a very lucky and fortunate person.

14Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:

To be honest I went into the family business and now I'm trapped. Hence why I spend so much time on here.

I started my business 29yrs ago from scratch, but as Nat says it takes over your life, especially the last few yrs.
Probably going to sell it in a couple of yrs and retire.

15Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:24 pm

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope your not a brickie Magoo! Very Happy

16Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

:flash: now change my avatar you bastid.

17Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:34 pm

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WTF! Very Happy

18Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:05 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Always enjoyed my work up until last year so I guess I was lucky. Now I want to have more time for fun, games and the occasional project but can't find anything that gives me the money and the freedom/flexibility as yet. Still looking, but for now I'm drifting at work, not totally committed. May just pack it in come January.

19Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:34 pm

You sound like me.

I'm just bored to tears by it all now.

I used to get a real kick out of delivering results and seeing that I'd made an impact but nowadays I don't give a shit whether things improve or not.

20Living the dream, baby! Empty Re: Living the dream, baby! Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:51 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I could have retired at 60, but felt I wasn't quite ready for it. I'm now working 3 days a week, in my last year, whilst I wind down to a final day on the 5th June, two days before my 65th birthday.
I'm looking forward to it, and I tell people that I've been travelling down this tunnel for 49 years, and I'm about to step out into the sunlight, made better for having no money problems whatsoever, and a family that are well, and doing well in the world.
Like SK, I consider myself a very lucky man.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum