Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL: Lennon leaves by mutual consent

+13
Fabians Right Peg
Bwfc1958
terenceanne
MartinBWFC
doffcocker
BoltonTillIDie
Boggersbelief
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
Bollotom2014
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

That's ridiculous if feeney has gone. Well, looks like it's as you were.

Looks like it's possibly been done to tip Lennon over the edge and thus avoid having to pay him up in full.

Ruthless.

But effective......

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Feeney going is no real surprise, contracts up in the Summer, and I think they'll be preparing now for next season, wouldn't be surprised to see a few more go.

Spearing also rumoured to be going. A try before you buy deal was how someone worded it.

Seems Anderson's connections are better than Terry Robinson's then.

I'm just nipping to Tesco to get Mark Davies a "Fuck off you ponce!" card because, hopefully, he's next.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Looks like it's possibly been done to tip Lennon over the edge and thus avoid having to pay him up in full.

Ruthless.

But effective......
Don't we all play dirty? Very Happy

karlypants wrote:
Breadman wrote:Looks like it's possibly been done to tip Lennon over the edge and thus avoid having to pay him up in full.

Ruthless.

But effective......

Something sinister about that post, especially with the smilie on the end

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bwfc1958 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:For those who say Brown's done a good job in L2 and 1 I reply granted but is that really all you want? A manager who knows the lower leagues and failed in the only premier league/championship job he's had? 

A manager who has been a success in Leagues 1 and 2 is exactly what we want - worry about the Prem when and if it ever happens.
:agree:

Brown has done a good job in each of the Premiership, Championship, and League 1 and 2 at some point.

I think he gets less respect than he probably deserves because of the way he conducts himself. Singing to fans, rollicking players on the pitch at half time, being a general sunbed using poser, etc.

Like I said it could go either way, but none of his other jobs will have been half as tough as managing Bolton right now.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Ruthless.

But effective......

Something sinister about that post, especially with the smilie on the end
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Feel for Lennon, but this is the right decision for me. The atmosphere was in danger of turning toxic and if that had happened it would have been more difficult to convince the likes of Holding to hang around next season. I'm not convinced the players have been on side for a long time and judging by his body language at games I'm not sure his heart has either.

We need a fresh start next season and a new manager is part of that.

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

clearing the decks early doors, decisive action which is unfortunately needed, but signs that the new owners are not messing about and will not throw good money after bad.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kevin Davies says departing manager Neil Lennon's managerial record was 'not good enough'

Former Wanderers skipper Kevin Davies said departing manager Neil Lennon’s record at the club “was not good enough.”

Davies, who played more than 350 matches for the Whites, said Lennon had endured a “difficult tenure” but said the Northern Irishman has to hold his hands up.

He said: “I think ultimately four wins all season and 18 in 80 in total is not good enough really.

“Perhaps this means the new owners still think there is an outside chance of fighting off relegation this season, although that will be very difficult.

“It has been a difficult tenure for Neil Lennon under tricky circumstances but his job is to get a team out that can win matches and as I say it hasn’t been good enough and he and the players have to hold their hands up.”

Davies said he could see former Whites player Phil Brown taking charge but believes temporary boss Jimmy Phillips could also enter the race to succeed Lennon.

He said: “Phil Brown is an ex-colleague of Dean Holdsworth and he is doing a good job down at Southend, I think if the opportunity came about he would be interested.

“I think Phil is rebuilding his career and I would imagine he might see Bolton as a step in the right direction.

“But if Jimmy starts well and puts a few results together then he will perhaps put his hat in the ring as well.”

Another former star striker John McGinlay had sympathy for the Northern Irishman, adding: “The job that was described to Neil Lennon was never there — I think he managed with handcuffs on since the first day he came in.

“People on the outside don’t realise what he was up against and I do feel a bit sorry for him — I would have like to have seen what he could have done if circumstances were different.”

Those sentiments were echoed by current striker Emile Heskey, who said: “It's been a difficult time for the whole club, him as well.

"We haven't got the players that he probably would have liked to have brought in. We're working on a shoestring really.

"He showed last year he could still produce on a shoestring, but we've still had to cut it from then. It's been very difficult."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Davies having yet another go at winding Doffcocker up.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:Can't say I'm disappointed. The new owners have had the balls to make the change and they could probably see what most others could see over the course of the season. It should give the new manager, whoever it might be, time to get his shit together and prepare for pre season and league one in good time. 

Whether you sympathise with Lennon or not, you can't deny the fact that it just wasn't working. Time will tell if the new manager is able to do a job or not. At this moment in time I feel it's the right decision.
I agree and am wondering if a managerial change was in the business plan Deano presented to the Court and the Football League or are SS going off piste already?

Jimmy will be interesting. I liked the Dream Team.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

DH, said that ' it was a difficult decision for me ' which tells me that Lennon was pushed, and didn't walk.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It had to happen, i just wish it had been done before Christmas to give us a realistic chance of getting out of trouble, but with all the uncertainty and lack of money the old board probably didn't think they could do it.

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I think this is an awful move. I can't see how we'll benefit in the long term and given Sports Shield's apparent lack of resources I don't see how a new man can make the changes on the field to improve things. I suspect we'll see the new manager bounce effect from now till the end of the season but come August we'll be right back where we are now just in a lower league. 

Frankly I think by the end of October we'll be seeing Nat and others, possibly even myself calling for the new manager to be sacked because we're in the bottom six of League One. 

I'll close by saying that if Phil Brown gets the job I'm not renewing my season ticket because the man's a useless manager and such a move would be a blatant attempt to pander to the fans in order to hide the grim reality that we can't afford to improve the squad the way it needs.
I think Lennon was crying out to be sacked. When he stated that he hadn't seen so many players going sick on the day of the match as he had at Bolton, think that was a signal we wanted to go. Other comments I think were saying pretty much the same thing.

When he was told there will be no money next season and they'd accepted a loan move from Ipswich for Feeney I think it made his mind up.

Judging by comments made by Holdsworth, He is into Pro Zone and how many miles the players have run. Appointment of Phillips makes that more certain. Even to the point where Holdsworth had a lad running up and down the stand to give him information from their laptop. Lennon clearly not into that kind of stuff. Next manager will need to know chapter and verse as Phillips and Deano were taking notes from Allardyce. 

Has Lennon got his coaching badges?

It was a matter of time - surprised it was now, but it's a clean slate for everybody.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum