Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers' manager search down to last man standing

+4
Sluffy
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers supporters' long wait for a new manager is almost over.

The Whites have now been without a leader for 12 weeks but The Bolton News has been told the final interview will take place today – and just one candidate remains.

While the shortlist could not be shorter, the identity of the last man standing remains a closely-guarded secret, although it is understood two men not in the frame are Steve Evans and Alan Stubbs.

At present Evans remains employed by Leeds United but his position appears untenable as Leeds are interviewing possible replacements. Former Wanderer Stubbs had been scheduled for an interview after leading Hibernian to Scottish Cup success but any move from Easter Road is likely to take him to Rotherham United.

"Steve Evans is not of interest, there has been no approach from either party at any stage," revealed Ken Anderson's son Lee, currently working at the club in a player recruitment role. "Alan Stubbs is obviously a good manager and an ex-Bolton player but he is not being considered for the position either.

"We're pretty much there, everything should be completed by the end of the week, and we believe things will start to happen quite quickly once we have made this appointment."

As for the man in question the favourites are thought to be Nigel Adkins, Steve Cotterill and Brian McDermott.

Adkins, recently sacked by Sheffield United, has three third-tier promotions on his CV while Cotterill won the 2014/15 League One title with Bristol City. It is understood McDermott was invited to apply by Bolton's chairman hours after being dismissed by Reading.

"This is a vital decision for the club and a choice we want to get right," added Anderson. "We showed potential managers our infrastructure and made it clear where we want to take the club. There is a lot to consider and we have gone through a number of potential managers. We have to get a feel for them and then go away and think hard about what is the best move for the club."

While it is clear the imminent appointment has taken longer than anyone anticipated when Neil Lennon was clearing his desk in mid-March Anderson – who, like his father, has a background in football agency – says it is more important to make the right choice than a hasty one.

And with one candidate remaining it would, at long last, seem things are about to happen at Bolton.

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

yeah right. I'll believe it when I see the new manager giving a press conference and not before.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm concerned that Anderson's son Lee is "working at the club in a player recruitment role". Key role for us and not necessarily the best "jobs for the lads" option. I'd have thought someone like Reidy or Deano would have the contacts and influence to do a better job and if we are actually able to recruit new players it's vital we get it right this time.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:I'm concerned that Anderson's son Lee is "working at the club in a player recruitment role". Key role for us and not necessarily the best "jobs for the lads" option. I'd have thought someone like Reidy or Deano would have the contacts and influence to do a better job and if we are actually able to recruit new players it's vital we get it right this time.

Anderson's a football agent ffs!

He's probably had to give up that to prevent a conflict of interest in the Football Leagues eyes but no doubt he is still doing it by pulling someone else's strings most probably via his son - who just happens to be have given a job working at the club in 'a player recruitment role'!

It's not rocket science really is it.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

This is getting more and more comical (not in a good way) by the day. I'm stunned the FL doesn't see this as a conflict of interest anyway. I mean, his own son who just happens to be a football agent as well? Really? Sheesh I dunno whether to laugh, cry or just roll my eyes heavenward and sigh in weary resignation.

Why would a football agent owning a football club create a conflict of interest?

I might be being even thicker than usual but I can't see why it would.

If the thinking is that they'd pay themselves a fee for introducing players they represented to the club, how is that any different to someone like Davies demanding a portion of any sell-on fee as a personal bonus for players he paid for?

At the end of the day, if they own the club they can pay themselves whatever dividend they want, surely?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I don't really see it as much as a problem.

Clearly Bolton under Gartside had their 'favoured' football agent and if Anderson wasn't an agent himself we would only be dealing with others - that being the nature of the beast in our football world.

Maybe even a good thing possibly - if we really haven't got much money perhaps he might even lower or waive his agent fees to 'himself' if we do finally manage to sign someone.

Not as though we are going to be big players in the market anyway whilst we have to find money for our Premier League waged players.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I had a little think about this after my initial post and realised it's irrelevant. Since we're under embargo and can't sign anyone as things stand there won't be any fees to stress about.

I know we've all been told about L1 rules being different and the low wage etc that we're allowed to pay but it looks to me as if Ken has no intention of paying out a single penny he doesn't have to. As to this manager search being over well, I don't think it's been truly and seriously started. Interviews have happened that sound so amateurish I'm half expecting an announcement that Frank Spencer is the new head of Human Resources.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's expected to be a nice day again tomorrow Peter, have the day off

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I had a little think about this after my initial post and realised I'm irrelevant.

Thank fuck.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:I had a little think about this after my initial post and realised I'm irrelevant.

Thank fuck.
Nice edit Nat. Did you do that to your dick before you changed your name? Wink

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:It's expected to be a nice day again tomorrow Peter, have the day off
Boggers surely you don't think I could actually change the weather with my posts do you? affraid

lPp, the God of Rain, Thunder and Lightning. Very Happy

I am so pleased that you have finally recognised my divinity. Twisted Evil

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Sluffy wrote:
Maybe even a good thing possibly - if we really haven't got much money perhaps he might even lower or waive his agent fees to 'himself' if we do finally manage to sign someone.

Aww, wouldn't that be awfully nice of him.

Perhaps though, he might just charge the club whatever he likes, even if it's over and above the going rate. No questions asked.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

King Bill wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Aww, wouldn't that be awfully nice of him.

Perhaps though, he might just charge the club whatever he likes, even if it's over and above the going rate. No questions asked.

It is his club anyway.

What's the point of him charging himself more than he could pay himself if the money isn't there in the first place - and if the money is there he could just pay himself a bonus anytime he likes!

There are far easier ways to take money out of the club than through agent fees that HAVE to be reported separately anyway.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I had a little think about this after my initial post and realised it's irrelevant. Since we're under embargo and can't sign anyone as things stand there won't be any fees to stress about.

I know we've all been told about L1 rules being different and the low wage etc that we're allowed to pay but it looks to me as if Ken has no intention of paying out a single penny he doesn't have to. As to this manager search being over well, I don't think it's been truly and seriously started. Interviews have happened that sound so amateurish I'm half expecting an announcement that Frank Spencer is the new head of Human Resources.
I hope Wendy has hidden all sharp objects in your gaffe from you.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MartinBWFC wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:I had a little think about this after my initial post and realised it's irrelevant. Since we're under embargo and can't sign anyone as things stand there won't be any fees to stress about.

I hope Wendy has hidden all sharp objects in your gaffe from you.
Hi Martin. I'm simply staking my claim to be the 2016 king of doom here on nuts mate. Very Happy

Seriously though I really do feel that the embargo and manager situations stopped being even mildly funny quite some time ago. While I appreciate my posts look and often are negative I call things as I see them. Trust me on this, if something good happens no one will be happier than me and I'll happily post positive things about it.

I've got my fingers crossed in the hope we'll see some light at the end of this particular tunnel sooner rather than later.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:I'm concerned that Anderson's son Lee is "working at the club in a player recruitment role". Key role for us and not necessarily the best "jobs for the lads" option. I'd have thought someone like Reidy or Deano would have the contacts and influence to do a better job and if we are actually able to recruit new players it's vital we get it right this time.

He's probably had to give up that to prevent a conflict of interest in the Football Leagues eyes but no doubt he is still doing it by pulling someone else's strings most probably via his son - who just happens to be have given a job working at the club in 'a player recruitment role'!

You missed my point Sluffy.
In fact I'd have thought that "working at the club in a player recruitment role" is pretty much the opposite of being an agent - it's identifying players and negotiating with them and their agents i.e. the other side of the coin.

My concern was that as it is such an important role for us, especially at the moment, I'd have thought others who have excellent contacts both home and abroad e.g. Reidy would be better positioned to make a success of the job.

Now if you're implying that Anderson is using his son to recruit players Anderson manages or has some financial interest in, that's another story....one which he couldn't possibly get away with I'd imagine as even the most basic scrutiny would show it up for what it is.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We still haven't interviewed Henry the mild mannered janitor so I don't see how we could be down to last man standing. After all we need a superhero who's used to working with garbage if we're ever going to get anything out of the current squad so we really need to talk to this guy:

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

You missed my point Sluffy.
In fact I'd have thought that "working at the club in a player recruitment role" is pretty much the opposite of being an agent - it's identifying players and negotiating with them and their agents i.e. the other side of the coin.

My concern was that as it is such an important role for us, especially at the moment, I'd have thought others who have excellent contacts both home and abroad e.g. Reidy would be better positioned to make a success of the job.

Now if you're implying that Anderson is using his son to recruit players Anderson manages or has some financial interest in, that's another story....one which he couldn't possibly get away with I'd imagine as even the most basic scrutiny would show it up for what it is.

I would imagine that Anderson (and his son) will make full use of his connections as a (former?) football agent to the benefit of the club (ie himself) in such a way that would not break any rules.

I doubt he's made his millions from football by accident!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum