Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-1 Southend - Match Report Post #71

+17
doffcocker
NickFazer
Fabians Right Peg
Cajunboy
finlaymcdanger
Bwfc1958
MartinBWFC
Bolton Nuts
karlypants
Boggersbelief
wessy
Bread2.0
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
scottjames30
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Preview: Five talking points ahead of Bolton Wanderers v Southend United

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With five players hoping to make their Wanderers debuts on Saturday, what to look out for against the Shrimpers at Macron Stadium

1. Ben Alnwick
The goalkeeper signed a two-year deal with Wanderers following the cancellation of his contract at Peterborough United. An experience shot-stopper at Sky Bet League One level.

With Mark Howard currently Phil Parkinson's first choice goalkeeper following his fine start to the campaign, Alnwick will be looking to make his mark as he offers competition between the sticks and looks to stake his own claim for a starting role.

2. Sammy Ameobi
Brother of former Wanderers forward Shola, Ameobi will be keen to follow in his footsteps when the Whites host Southend United on Saturday.

Having seen his older brother net on his Bolton debut against Leeds United last season, the pacey forward will be looking to make a similar first impression having already highlighed his desire to score goals for the club following his loan move from Newcastle United.

3. Keshi Anderson
Having seen a prolific loan spell with Doncaster Rovers cut short last season because of injury, Anderson will be looking to make up for lost time after recovering in time to feature for parent club Crystal Palace in pre-season.

Highly-regarded by the Eagles, the forward, who famously earned his move to Alan Pardew's side after scoring a six-minute perfect hat-trick against them in a trial match, signed a new deal with the club prior to moving to Macron Stadium on loan.

A potent finisher at non-league level before his move to Palace, the Trotters fought off competition from a number of clubs to bring the 21-year-old to Macron Stadium, and will be hoping to see him continue to get among the goals.

4. James Henry
A past thorn in the Wanderers defence having scored against the club in each of the past two seasons, Henry will be hoping to equally effective in the white of Bolton after joining the club on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Having previously played alongside Trotters trio Mark Beevers, Chris Taylor and Liam Trotter at Millwall, the wideman will be wanting to settle quickly as Phil Parkinson's side looking to maintain their impressive start to the season.

A Sky Bet League One winner with Wolves in 2013/14, the 27-year-old scored an impressive 10 goals during that campaign the last time he plied his trade in the third tier, and will be hungry to taste similar success at Macron Stadium.

5. Tom Thorpe
The last of Wanderers' five deadline day signings, the Whites completed the signing of Thorpe shortly before Wednesday's 11pm deadline.

Reuniting with manager Phil Parkinson after spending time on loan at Bradford City last season, the versatile defender has joined Bolton on a season-long loan from Rotherham United.

Having come through the ranks at Manchester United, the former England Under-21s international, who is also capable of playing in midfield, will be looking to again make a positive impression on the gaffer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have to say the transfer window has changed things.
Only a few hours to go before the new signings are integrated into our team to play Brownie, but I'd be surprised if they all start or even appear on the bench so it may be a while before we see where Parky is going with this. 
If the end game is for Anderson, Henry and Ameobi all starting at some point in time, possibly with Madine with two up top if it's a home game, wouldn't that compromise the defensive shape he's been playing to date? Where does Clough fit in? We have a bunch of tricky attacking players all of a sudden.
Questions, questions....

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

i expect Henry to start for Davies and it depends if Proctor is Fit  Ameobe may play a part from the bench.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

wanderlust wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Should win game, but it will require a massive improvement on last night.
I wouldn't use last night as a form guide just as I didn't Blackpool. I think the goal is just league I get the impression PP wasn't overly gutted about last nights loss but was being PC
Last night was a should win game too and whilst I appreciate it wasn't important from a results perspective, it was important from a performance perspective and the performance wasn't good.
I don't buy this theory that players can be involved in a competitive game and slip into a lower gear - it goes against the grain and there are professional standards and reputations to be upheld. It took all my efforts not to compete against my own kids when they were little and I certainly never let them win unless they were at least trying, so I can't imagine a professional footballer would do anything other than try to win last night. Which tells me they just aren't good enough.

I like your enthusiasm and at one time I would have agreed. But that game was only a shade above a training session for our lads and was played in a pre season type of way.

Slipping into a lower gear is easy. I can only compare it to playing 6aside with my mates one day vs playing 6 a side in a league the next day. Both 6 aside games. Both similar standards of players. Totally different intensity. And the higher intensity games are always higher risk for getting a knock or worse.

It doesn't mean you don't try to play well or win when with mates and you still put in energy, skill, effort to a similar degree. It's aggression that is the key factor.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Saw this on Twitter and thought it was funny so I'll share it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

makes sense they have half of our old squad and our training ground  Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

they didn't need to change our badge as they could have just called it Bolton Wigan football club.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:they didn't need to change our badge as they could have just called it Bolton Wigan football club.
did you find your coat KP  Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
karlypants wrote:they didn't need to change our badge as they could have just called it Bolton Wigan football club.
did you find your coat KP  Very Happy
Still looking for it. Embarassed

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Which if any of the new signings will start tomorrow do you think? it will be interesting to see peoples guess at the lineup tomorrow.
this is mine
Howard
Buxton   Beevers   Wheater   Moxey
Spearing   Vela
Henry   Trotter   Ameobi
Madine

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think only Henry will start tomorrow, straight swap for Mark Davies.

Think we'll see Ameobi off the bench when Southend start to tire

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Should win game, but it will require a massive improvement on last night.
I wouldn't use last night as a form guide just as I didn't Blackpool. I think the goal is just league I get the impression PP wasn't overly gutted about last nights loss but was being PC
Last night was a should win game too and whilst I appreciate it wasn't important from a results perspective, it was important from a performance perspective and the performance wasn't good.
I don't buy this theory that players can be involved in a competitive game and slip into a lower gear - it goes against the grain and there are professional standards and reputations to be upheld. It took all my efforts not to compete against my own kids when they were little and I certainly never let them win unless they were at least trying, so I can't imagine a professional footballer would do anything other than try to win last night. Which tells me they just aren't good enough.

I like your enthusiasm and at one time I would have agreed. But that game was only a shade above a training session for our lads and was played in a pre season type of way.

Slipping into a lower gear is easy. I can only compare it to playing 6aside with my mates one day vs playing 6 a side in a league the next day. Both 6 aside games. Both similar standards of players. Totally different intensity. And the higher intensity games are always higher risk for getting a knock or worse.

It doesn't mean you don't try to play well or win when with mates and you still put in energy, skill, effort to a similar degree. It's aggression that is the key factor.
I know what you mean but can you imagine what Mr Liverpool Jay Spearing was thinking getting beat by Everton's kids? Surely he had to be fired up. I play 6 a side with a bunch of 20 somethings and I know for a fact that if we played against teenagers there is no way we'd let them win, regardless of how good they were and we're not even professionals with "professional pride" to play for - well a couple of the lads are semi-pros but you get the point.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:Which if any of the new signings will start tomorrow do you think? it will be interesting to see peoples guess at the lineup tomorrow.
this is mine
Howard
Buxton   Beevers   Wheater   Moxey
Spearing   Vela
Henry   Trotter   Ameobi
Madine
I think that won't be far off because Parky will want to give the new lads time to integrate into the team but he has been banging on about playing with more width so with Woolery gone he might just throw the wingers on. 

I would love it if he played Anderson instead of Trotter though because of the pace and finishing up front and it is a home game after all. Maybe I just like the idea of having a big man little man partnership up top.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He'll go 4-4-2 and go at them from the off, I expect one of Henry or Ameobi to start with Proctor and Madine up top, rest of new boys on the bench, but whichever way he goes, this team looks far too good for this league.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

MartinBWFC wrote:He'll go 4-4-2 and go at them from the off, I expect one of Henry or Ameobi to start with Proctor and Madine up top, rest of new boys on the bench, but whichever way he goes, this team looks far too good for this league.
Fair point but Madine and Proctor very similar, I know they've played together so far but we didn't have any options.
If he does go 442 maybe Anderson will get a start with Proctor on the bench.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
Fair point but Madine and Proctor very similar

Do you know which one Proctor is? He's nothing like Madine.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
Fair point but Madine and Proctor very similar

He's nothing like Madine.
They both have career records that average one goal every five games?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

now we have some wingers it would make sense to go to a straight 442 as opposed to the diamond we've been playing recently. Two big lads up front, lets start making the most of them by getting some crosses in the box

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We're top of the league and unbeaten, I can't see any big changes being made.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

We are top of the league but have done it in a very workman like manner which is good because with the injuries to Clough and Clayton we lacked creativity.
Several people quoted on the fact that we set up too defensively and maybe lacked creativity, hopefully these options give us more balance between being solid at the back but possessing a threat going forward.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum