Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brexit - A new twist!

+20
boltonbonce
wessy
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
rammywhite
Chairmanda
okocha
Reebok Trotter
whatsgoingon
karlypants
NickFazer
finlaymcdanger
Bwfc1958
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
xmiles
gloswhite
Bread2.0
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 14]

101Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:10

The Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun are rags. All proven to print factually incorrect stories time and time again.

102Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:13

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:The Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun are rags. All proven to print factually incorrect stories time and time again.

And what do you suggest we peruse instead? The Guardian? The Spectator? The Mirror?

103Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:14

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

If that is the case, who proves them wrong ? Is it the same people/papers ? If so, it could be them misconstruing the information to their own way of thinking, could it not ?

104Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

RT, you coming down tomorrow night ?

105Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:16

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:The Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun are rags. All proven to print factually incorrect stories time and time again.
You can say that about all the newspapers in the country, they are all agenda driven but you choose to believe some more than others because you want to because they agree with you.
If it was as simple as some tell the truth the whole time and some lie the whole time it would be very straightforward, the truth is it isn't straightforward and they are all as bad as each other.

106Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:30

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

At the end of the day, we can all choose to source our news coverage wherever we like, obviously.

And we're all going to err on the side of believing something if it's being reported in a publication which tends to mirror our own views - That's human nature.

The skill is in being able to pick out the bits which are factually undeniable and use them as a basis for your opinions, irrespective of where they were reported.

Provided you cast your net wide enough and obtain as much information as possible, it is still possible to get enough of a handle on most stories to be able to do this.

The problem comes when people source their news solely from one outlet.

Like Fox in the States, for example.

In the modern world of 24 hour rolling coverage, all the networks are scrambling to report even the tiniest snippets of "news" if they think it can give them an edge over their competitors.

And that's where the problems start because the serious issues get lost amongst all the dross.

It's all about glib soundbites and dumbed-down appeals to society's baser instincts nowadays and that's how idiots like Farage and Trump somehow become accepted a serious politicians.

They're a pair of self-serving wankers who would be hard-pressed to list their own policies, let alone their opponent's but because they supposedly "speak for the people" it no longer appears to matter.

As someone said on 5Live this morning, how low has the bar been set nowadays, that we're taking the time to seriously discuss whether or not Trump's comments about "grabbing women by the pussy" should have a negative effect on his suitability for senior office.

It's ridiculous.

Last edited by Bread2.0 on Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:31; edited 1 time in total

107Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:30

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

gloswhite wrote:RT, you coming down tomorrow night ?

s'okay. I've seen the proper thread. See you in there

108Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:34

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

It'll be over by Wednesday, and that's when the fan gets turned on.  Neutral

109Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 11:44

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gloswhite wrote:It'll be over by Wednesday, and that's when the fan gets turned on.  Neutral
unfortunately which ever way it goes shit is going to hit it when it does

110Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 12:27

whatsgoingon wrote:
You can say that about all the newspapers in the country, they are all agenda driven but you choose to believe some more than others because you want to because they agree with you.
If it was as simple as some tell the truth the whole time and some lie the whole time it would be very straightforward, the truth is it isn't straightforward and they are all as bad as each other.

Simply put, they are not all as bad as each other. As Bread mentions above the 'skill' is being able to pick out what's fact and what's opinion being presented as fact. The Fox News example is spot on, the most watched news channel in the US and it's the only one pushing that climate change is a lie, so 40% of Americans don't believe in climate change largely on that basis! 

The paper's I've listed above are consistently pushing the boundaries and often found to have overstepped the mark in a way that The Times, Guardian, Independent or the BBC simply do not. 

You can't take everything you read from any publication as gospel, but you can make an informed decision on what's accurate and what isn't, and the knee jerk, fevered crap printed by those papers I've mentioned is rarely balanced enough to come to that decision.

111Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 12:51

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Newspapers' existence depends on making money. They know that sensation, celebrity and sleazy gossip sell successfully to a public that laps it up without much discrimination. On that basis, the highly successful Sun, Mirror and Mail will continue to print what the public seems to want, never letting the truth stand in the way of a good story.
 What saddens me is that the BBC is beginning to sensationalise too.

113Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:17

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Unfortunately it won't change anything even if a successful prosecution is made and their fines will just be paid by some rich tax exile brexit fan.

114Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:22

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

If there is going to be CPS intervention every time a politician deliberately misleads the voters then the courts would be very full in no time.
It is a ridiculous statement, are they then going to analyse all the assertions from the remain campaigners for their truthfulness, that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read and lets not forget that it will cost the tax payers millions while a group of lawyers, barristers will get very rich off it.

115Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:27

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

whatsgoingon wrote:If there is going to be CPS intervention every time a politician deliberately misleads the voters then the courts would be very full in no time.
It is a ridiculous statement, are they then going to analyse all the assertions from the remain campaigners for their truthfulness, that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read and lets not forget that it will cost the tax payers millions while a group of lawyers, barristers will get very rich off it.

Do you ever contribute to the comments section on the Mail Online site?

I think you've nailed the tone and syntax perfectly there and, if you don't already post comments on that site, I'd suggest you hop on over there and weigh in with the rest of the "This is outrageous!!!" crowd pronto.

I think you'd like it.

Last edited by Bread2.0 on Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:28; edited 1 time in total

116Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:27

whatsgoingon wrote:If there is going to be CPS intervention every time a politician deliberately misleads the voters then the courts would be very full in no time.

Name a similar lie that was told in an election or referendum. 

I think I'll trust a Professor of electoral law over you.

117Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:28

xmiles wrote:

Unfortunately it won't change anything even if a successful prosecution is made and their fines will just be paid by some rich tax exile brexit fan.

Ye you are right, I was still pleased to see it though.

118Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:33

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I was as sceptical as you WGO until I read the article. It is intended to test the 2006 Electoral Administration Act to see whether the brexit big lie about the £350m was knowingly misleading voters and thus constituting an offence of “undue influence”.

Personally I don't hold out much chance of success for pretty much the same reason as you.

119Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:39

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bread2.0 wrote:

Do you ever contribute to the comments section on the Mail Online site?

I think you've nailed the tone and syntax perfectly there and, if you don't already post comments on that site, I'd suggest you hop on over there and weigh in with the rest of the "This is outrageous!!!" crowd pronto.

I think you'd like it.
And there goes bread the patronising prick again, this is a subject that clearly brings all the hate and self serving feelings that are harboured very close to the surface.
So all leave voters are crayon munching Jeremy Kyle watching morons and any Daily Mail readers are uneducated, it's just a shame the world isn't as perfect and open minded as you bread.

120Brexit - A new twist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Brexit - A new twist! Mon Nov 07 2016, 15:47

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

You're good at dishing it but you really can't take it, can you?

Put your dummy back in and shut the fuck up, you big girl.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum