Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is there any sensible reason why we keep losing friendlies?

+12
terenceanne
Angry Dad
Dunkels King
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
yesbutno
Keegan
Mallorca Trotter
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
Bolton Nuts
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

He must also know he is crap at his job and so must gartside and davies so why dont they bloody do something about it. Whats the matter with them.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Biggie wrote:I know there is no historical correlation between friendly results and results during a league campaign - I don't dispute that.

I just want to know, why, when it comes down to 90 mins on the pitch against lower league opposition, can we not play well enough to beat them or at least out play them. Friendly or not - why are we not able?

It's mental simple as that.

If you go into work and your boss says "look mate, don't worry about today, nothing matters, tbh just do the bare minimum"

Would you pull out all the stops like a madman? Even if you're a well meaning person who always gives 100% that comment would be in the back of your mind all day.

and thats all it is, mentally the players aren't there.

if we get into the season and we're beaten like this clearly it goes deeper.

I can't see it just being that. Maybe an element of that but - if I play badminton against my mate - it's a friendly - we both still try to win.
Or if the world champion tennis player played against you at tennis - even if you raised your game and he was told the result didn't matter - his quality would be such that he really just couldn't help winning. He would just have too much for you, even if he played with lead weights on. I would have thought Bolton V Hamilton would be a similar story.

Also. Just coming back after the summer break you would hope the players would be up for it and be wanting to play well - even if the manager said it doesn't matter.

Every football player wants to have a good game - because, it's less fun to have a rubbish game. So the players must be trying to have at least some degree of a decent outing. They are just not able to perform.

Friendlies should be the time that teams try as hard as ever, especially while the results don't count it should give us the opportunity to try to play in a more free and less pressured and rushed way - and as a result you should expect great football. It's not happening.

I'm sorry but friendlies should be the time teams try as hard as ever?!

Come on, you don't believe that. Harder than the FA cup final?

Sorry, but the truth is, and yes it's a shame, for "big" teams like ourselves these friendlies are fitness exercises and nothing else. It doesn't say much for their attitude or drive but sadly "thems the facts."

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I'm sorry but friendlies should be the time teams try as hard as ever?!

Come on, you don't believe that. Harder than the FA cup final?

Of course they should give 100%, they're being paid to give 100%! When clubs stop charging to get into a friendly, then they can stop giving 100%.

Hipster, it's fans like you that have caused the problems in football. You know aspects of the game are fucked up but you just shrug your shoulders and carry on buying Sky Sports and BWFC y-fronts.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I said it was a shame, and i also said it's a knock on their drive and ethic. But you neglected to quote that part.

an as for your other point, I'm a passionate fan, definitely not as much as i used to be, I'm probably about 50% as passionate tbh. There's more to life than 11 people kicking a ball round a patch of grass.

Me effing and jeffing on a football forum isn't going to change anything I'm afraid. I used to do it all the time, but I'm past that point in my life.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

After every pre-season game I have expressed concerns ...... no change so far. Let's be honest ..there is nowt there....we are straight crap until otherwise proven. 40-1 bet for more relegation looks like a decent punt to me.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Playing for a place in the starting line-up should be enough to get players fired up for these games but they don't seem bothered one way or the other.

Coyle's motivational skills were supposed to be one of his main areas of expertise but the lack of fight and battling qualities throughout the side is quite worrying.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Hat, you think he knows do you. What grounds do you have for saying that? Are you personal friends, does he take you into his confidence? I don't think so. It's more wishful thinking on your part. More refusing to face up to the fact that he is not this great manager but is in fact a man out of his depth (as results have shown).

He has carried on this (pre)season in the same way he operated last season. He has made no improvement to the No.1 failure, namely the defence, in fact he has re-signed one of the worst defenders ever to play for BW and given him a two year contract, not only that I read somewhere that this (couldn't care less hands in pockets) player has actually been captain.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

chipbutty wrote:Hat, you think he knows do you. What grounds do you have for saying that?

I inferred it from the post-match press conference I read about.

It's just my opinion.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Without wishing to be pedantic. Saying "I think I know" is not quite the same as "It's just my opinion".

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

chipbutty wrote:Without wishing to be pedantic. Saying "I think I know" is not quite the same as "It's just my opinion".

I'd happily debate the semantics of that with you if I had said "I think I know" in the first place, but I didn't write that.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Ok, I don't want to play with words and get distracted from the main point which is, in my view, not recognising the glaringly obvious failure of last season i.e, defence. I can only assume he must be happy with it as he has kept with the same line-up and even persuaded Knight who, if we are to believe what we read, wanted away.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I gave Coyle benefits of the doubt - firstly after the FA Cup anhilation by Stoke and then when the fixtures were announced last season (no other club has had to face the top 6 clubs if the first 8 games before) knew it could be a hard task, along with the injuries. But now it is clear that Coyle has learned nothing from last 16 months - even extending Knight"mare" stay at the club baffles most fans and even many non-Bolton fans!!!

And with 2 weeks to go and having 3 games in the first week even this season doesn't seem to bode well. Another long hard season and another fear of relegation under Coyle. Promotion is definitely not on the cards whilst Coyle is in charge!

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

chipbutty wrote:Ok, I don't want to play with words and get distracted from the main point which is, in my view, not recognising the glaringly obvious failure of last season i.e, defence. I can only assume he must be happy with it as he has kept with the same line-up and even persuaded Knight who, if we are to believe what we read, wanted away.

I am as worried as anyone about our inability to keep clean sheets - I was discussing it with Natasha the other day on here, I think clean sheets will be out biggest priority/area for development in the new season far more than scoring goals. We scored plenty of goals last season, but only 3 clean sheets in 38 league games is atrocious. I'm also struggling to think of a single cup game in which we kept a clean sheet - we certainly conceded in the majority of them anyway.

I do want Coyle to do well and he has until the end of October to keep us in contention for promotion, if not, time for a change. It will be a shame because he is BWFC through and through and a lot of things have worked against him, but you'll hear no complaints from me if we can't keep clean sheets and win matches at Championship level with the resources Coyle has at his disposal in the new term.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I have said before on this forum that it gives me no pleasure to criticize our manager. I want him to do well. I have been a Bolton fan all my life why would I want us to have a poor manager. However I will not go against my feelings that he is not up to the job. I support the club not individuals. If I think a player is poor I will say so, he is no different to that.

Nothing (in the world of football) would give me greater pleasure than for him to prove me wrong.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To fill the other clubs in the championship with a false sense of security, obviously.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Lust, your point is lost on me. Could you please be a bit more explanatory.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

wanderlust wrote:To fill the other clubs in the championship with a false sense of security, obviously.
Nice one Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum