Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views.

+35
karlypants
Norpig
Sluffy
Whitesince63
Hip Priest
Ten Bobsworth
Banks of the Croal
sunlight
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
Bolton Nuts
Nigelbwfc
wessy
RustyNail
rammywhite
Cajunboy
Angry Dad
Boggersbelief
observer
Copper Dragon
Leeds_Trotter
MartinBWFC
gloswhite
DEANO82
Growler
okocha
Bread2.0
Chairmanda
Bollotom2014
Reebok Trotter
Kane57
Fabians Right Peg
terenceanne
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 50]

341OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sat Jun 23 2018, 15:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just see slippers and knobs.

342OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sat Jun 23 2018, 15:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I just see slippers and knobs.
They're my two manservants. Ignore them.

343OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sat Jun 23 2018, 15:26

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:I just see slippers and knobs.
I don't see any slippers, and surely that's well before Boggers time.

344OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sat Jun 23 2018, 16:35

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes I can see it now.

Could be Bolton I guess but don't recognise some of the players if it is.

It looks to me as though 'the whites' are defending a corner (or free kick) - the bearded player has a look of Roy Greaves and I guess it could be Willie Morgan jumping on the right?

Possibly Ray Train heading the ball??

I wouldn't put money on me being right though.

Sorry.

345OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sat Jun 23 2018, 16:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a tough one. He said it was 72/73,but we were third division champions that year,and Sunderland were in another division. Maybe he got the year wrong. It's a puzzler.

346OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jun 24 2018, 00:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:It's a tough one. He said it was 72/73,but we were third division champions that year,and Sunderland were in another division. Maybe he got the year wrong. It's a puzzler.

I remember that season because 'Lancashire' (which we were before the 1974 Local Government reorganisation created Greater Manchester) won all four division titles - Liverpool, Burnley, us and Southport!

The only player I can recognise with any degree of certainty is the left most Sunderland player on the picture - Ian Porterfield. He was there from 1967 to 77 - so that doesn't help at all really! His goal beat Leeds though in the 1973 Cup Final though.

I think the Sunderland player on the right of the picture is big Dave Watson who played for England and later City and Southampton. If I'm right he was there from 1970-75.

The game was certainly played during the day (not an evening kick off) with the Sun being bright but low down in the sky - judging by the shadow lengths.

A random thought I've had, is that if your friend is having trouble nailing the game down to a second division team (as Sunderland were that year) then maybe it was a cup tie and a club from another division?

Sorry I've run out of ideas now - hope he finds an answer to his little puzzle!

347OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jun 24 2018, 03:32

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

My guess is Millwall who played in all white in those days.I don't think its Roy Greaves or Bolton

348OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jun 24 2018, 10:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thanks guys. I agree it's not Roy Greaves. Looks more like Ricky Villa! The guy who sold him the picture said it was Boro,but a Boro fan he's been in touch with says it certainly isn't.
Growler's Millwall suggestion is a good one,and I'll pass that across. I usually like these puzzles,but this one has me stumped.
Thanks for your efforts though. I'll let you know if anything is confirmed.

349OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Jul 09 2018, 18:25

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Birmingham have been placed under a transfer embargo.

350OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Tue Jul 10 2018, 08:38

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The first but not the last this season, Villa next i bet.

351OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jul 29 2018, 21:07

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:Has this worked?
OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Sunder10
Just a thought but could it be Leeds United in the League Cup?

352OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jul 29 2018, 21:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Has this worked?
OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Sunder10
Just a thought but could it be Leeds United in the League Cup?
Was my initial though Peter,but I'm being told it's not. Maybe we'll be proved right. I'm stumped at the moment.

353OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jul 29 2018, 23:46

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:The first but not the last this season, Villa next i bet.
As things currently stand Villa are NOT in violation of FFP YET. Their accounts (apparently) run from September to September (although the tax year is April to April) and since the EFL goes off the club's accounting period (determined by date of incorporation apparently) Villa have until August 31st to bring their 'losses' down to under eight million pounds. Whether or not they can do this is a big question since everyone knows they HAVE to sell players in order to straighten their books so no one is likely to pay actual market value for them.

354OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Jul 29 2018, 23:50

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I've put the Sunderland photo on a "statto" forum and got this reply

Seen this before, another copy of it probably. Initially had it down as either Middlesbrough, Orient, Bolton or Preston, but it's now believed to be ….

Millwall.

In the background (behind Billy Hughes' head) you can see advertised SAT 3rd MARCH O____D which was Oxford on 3rd March 1973. Sunderland played Middlesbrough on 17th Feb, Reading on 3rd Feb (FAC) and Millwall on 27th Jan.

Middlesbrough collector I know said he didn't recognise anyone in white. Bolton collector the same. Reading would surely have been in their blue & white hoops. As they played Orient in August and Preston in December they surely wouldn't have been advertising the March fixture then.

So it rather left Millwall as the only likely opponents, in their all white kit with no badge. But we still weren't sure as we couldn't positively identify any Millwall players.

Having said all that, Derby's suggestions hold some water and they played Brighton on 6th Jan, which is possible, but Huddersfield in April and Sheff Weds in September so the ad rules them out.

Does this help? Very Happy

355OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Jul 30 2018, 09:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thanks for your efforts Growler. According to the back of the picture it's Boro,but Boro fans are saying it isn't. Millwall came up too,and,and I'm leaning toward them myself,but we still have no definitive answer.
I'm sure I know the guy behind Ian Porterfield,but his name won't come. I'll keep trying.
Thanks again mate.

356OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Jul 30 2018, 20:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Perhaps you could post the picture on a Millwall fans forum and ask the old codgers on there if they recognise the players?

357OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Jul 30 2018, 21:32

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Premier League transfers haven't been as dramatic as previous seasons with only West Ham and Wolves bringing in a load of players. Biggest surprise is Joao Moutinho signing for Wolves - I know they have great connections in Portugal but it's still a real coup. Still time for more, but not much.

358OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Jul 30 2018, 21:59

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Premier League transfers haven't been as dramatic as previous seasons with only West Ham and Wolves bringing in a load of players. Biggest surprise is Joao Moutinho signing for Wolves - I know they have great connections in Portugal but it's still a real coup. Still time for more, but not much.
Lusty does the shortened window actually apply to the Prem? As I understand it it was only the EFL that was subject to it on the grounds managers wanted to have finalised squads before the season kicked off but the Premier League was staying with the European window.

359OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Mon Jul 30 2018, 22:26

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:Perhaps you could post the picture on a Millwall fans forum and ask the old codgers on there if they recognise the players?
It doesn't look like its Millwall, as someone has pointed out there is a clock on the stand with the time at 4.40pm.
There is no chance of it being so light at that time in late January when they played Millwall.

It couldĀ  be the Oxford match on 3rd March

360OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. - Page 18 Empty Re: OTHER FOOTBALL - News and Views. Sun Aug 05 2018, 18:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds looked good under El Loco today. Not much of a change in personnel from last season but a helluva change in performance to dispatch promotion favourites Stoke. A team to watch out for this season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum