Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chorley 1-3 Bolton Wanderers (friendly)

+3
Sluffy
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggest game of their lives for many of the Bolton squad, playing at the famous Victory Park.

£8 for adults (£5 if you can supply proof of being a Wanderers season ticket holder) and free for under 12s.

A big crowd is anticipated at the prospect of meeting me.

3-1 Chorley.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I only hope that Chorley manage to give us a defensive test, because League 1 certainly will.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Setting off now for Bolton's biggest game in years. See you all there.

Come on you Magpies.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chorley 1 Bolton Wanderers 3 - Charles, Bodvarsson & Kachunga score in friendly

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers’ undefeated start to pre-season continued – but Ian Evatt’s expression at the final whistle suggests he was far from pleased with their latest outing.

Dion Charles, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Elias Kachunga scored the goals in an awkward 90 minutes at Victory Park before former Bolton academy man Connor Hall grabbed one back in the closing stages.

Gethin Jones took the Harold Lloyd Memorial Trophy in what Wanderers fans hope will not be the last silverware this season.

But overall, Evatt’s side looked short on ideas as they struggled to come to terms with physical opponents and a pitch designed to ensure the game was played at a leisurely pace.

When Dion Charles opened the scoring two minutes into the contest, you had to wonder whether another goal-packed afternoon was on its way.

The Northern Ireland international scored a hat-trick at Longridge and picked his spot impressively once again from just inside the penalty box after some good work down the right from Conor Bradley and Aaron Morley.

Wanderers looked in the mood. Declan John drove an angled effort just wide of the post and then produced a deep cross for fellow wing-back Bradley, who couldn’t quite get his header on target.

Charles broke through the middle once more, this time pulling a shot narrowly wide, and also got a shot nicked off his toes right in front of goal.

The pace of the game dropped considerably after that, and Evatt’s side will have to take some of the responsibility as the speed at which they looked to move the ball became slow and the space they had enjoyed early on started to close up.

The pitch – covered by a thick, luscious and extremely long grass – also played a part in limiting Bolton’s effectiveness, particularly out wide.

Chorley worked a couple of reasonable chances and James Trafford allowed a couple of backpasses to either drift out of his control, or under his boot entirely.

Evatt was demanding more. And his own frustration spilled over at one stage after Chorley skipper Scott Leather went clattering into Jon Dadi Bodvarsson directly in front of the dugouts.

After a frank exchange with his opposite number, the former Bury boss – and no shrinking violet – Andy Preece, Wanderers finally regained some composure and doubled their lead.

Morley was the provider, producing a superb ball from the right hand side, and one hoped that would give the second-half side a good platform to go and make the score-line more convincing.

Unfortunately, things slowed down even further. With a new team on the field, Wanderers struggled to create anything of note, their attacking play so often reduced to a crawl by the tricky surface.

Amadou Bakayoko arguably got the closest to extending the lead, latching on to a long ball over the top and colliding with the goalkeeper to bring play to a halt.

Another counter attack was stopped in its tracks after the referee managed to deflect a rare pacy pass from the Bolton defence – prompting another angry outburst from Whites boss Evatt.

“Move the ball quicker!” he bellowed, with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Evatt’s words were never really heeded but Bolton did grab a third. Kieran Sadlier’s corner was headed home impressively by Elias Kachunga.

The sluggishness we had seen for 90 minutes was summed up, however, when Bolton old boy Connor Hall turned Ricardo Santos in stoppage time to roll home a consolation goal past Joel Dixon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Match Reaction: Ian Evatt questions 'Amazonian' pitch in Chorley friendly win

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ian Evatt admits an “Amazonian” pitch at Chorley left him questioning his decision to play a first team friendly at Victory Park.

Wanderers emerged with a comfortable 3-1 win against the National League North side but struggled to get their passing game going on a dry surface with long grass.

The conditions were a disappointment to Evatt and his staff, and though the Bolton boss conceded that his players had not looked nearly as sharp as they had a few days earlier against Longridge Town, he said after the game that he would have to “choose his words wisely” with regard to the conditions.

“I am just a little bit frustrated,” he said. “I try to pay local clubs respect by bringing the first team. They ask me to bring the first team, I bring the first team – all of our best players.

“Our fans come in their numbers, as they always do, paying hard-earned money.

“But it is a two-way street and if they want us to keep coming back then they have to give us something in return. It can’t all be the same direction and I feel today it has all been in one direction, so maybe we will have to monitor what we do next season.

“I understand dry pitches, absolutely. I understand not watering it. But when it becomes Amazonian, it is frustrating. And it is a frustration of mine because as I said, as a football club we are trying to do everything right.

“We bring our best players, we want to help these local teams – of course we do. Our fans again showed great loyalty and respect by coming to watch us play at one of the local clubs that we are trying to help and build relationships.

“But please don’t take advantage of that is what I am trying to say. Please show that the same respect as what we are showing you, and I don’t think we have been given that today.

“The players have learned valuable lessons, it is some more mileage in the legs, we have found a way to win. So overall, I’m relatively happy.”

Dion Charles, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Elias Kachunga gave Wanderers a 3-0 lead before former Bolton striker Connor Hall grabbed a consolation at the bitter end.

Wanderers had looked bright in patches for the first half but as the game slowed to a crawl after half-time, Evatt’s frustration was clear.

“I said to the players before the game, at times this season when we go away from home, we are going to be challenged. Most of it is challenging mentally,” he told us.

“Everything we want to do and be… It will be difficult when you turn up and the conditions are how they are.

“But there are also things that we can get out of it as well. We are going to have to get over that mental block. We are going to go to places where things aren’t going to be how we want them to be and then we have to find a way to win. We have done that today, there is no denying that.

“I think first half was a lot better than second half. I think, especially when teams sit off in a low block and you can’t move the ball quickly, it is challenging and again we have to find a way. A set-play was pleasing second half. But the players, especially the ones second half, look fatigued and tired. We have worked them so hard.

“Yesterday was three sessions again, but we will see the benefits of that. We have had a good week with two solid wins and now we are going to have to progress to better opposition and see improvements.”

Wanderers took off George Johnston in the first half, replacing him with youngster Lamine Toure, but Evatt confirmed it was only a precautionary measure.

“It was just a really tight hamstring. No injury there, just lots of hard work and lots of fatigue. It is important we don’t take risks at this stage,” he added.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Embarrassing, absolutely embarrassing. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the newly laid pitch. So the grass was a millimetre longer than the Bolton pitch, big fooking deal. Does Evans expect the non-league opposition to produce a pitch to suit him and his sideways passers? He sounds like a fooking Man Utd fan, expecting everything to be Premier League standard. Fook off.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Embarrassing, absolutely embarrassing. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the newly laid pitch. So the grass was a millimetre longer than the Bolton pitch, big fooking deal. Does Evans expect the non-league opposition to produce a pitch to suit him and his sideways passers? He sounds like a fooking Man Utd fan, expecting everything to be Premier League standard. Fook off.

Rubbish! Two Japanese soldiers surrendered at half time.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The game was closer than the scoreline suggests. Bolton had a lot of the ball but did fook all with it. If the nets had been on the touchline they'd have won 26-1. Trafford kept Bolton in it at times.

Bolton are winning nothing without some midfield steel and commanding central defender.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The grass was pretty long to be fair. but the first half team didn't struggle, second half pretty pedestrian, not sure if Chorley had a better team second half? i only know of Connor Hall, i enjoyed the afternoon long time since i have had to go old school and stand up. lol 

It's a bit of a dump to be honest seen better kept facilities at a much lower level.  However would i go and watch Chorley possibly if a good tie was on show. Only 10 minutes away for me.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:It's a bit of a dump to be honest

Listen to King Wessy, expecting 5 star facilities at non league level. No doubt gutted he couldn't have his nails painted at half-time.

::bellend:: ::bellend:: ::bellend:: ::bellend:: ::bellend::

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:The game was closer than the scoreline suggests. Bolton had a lot of the ball but did fook all with it. If the nets had been on the touchline they'd have won 26-1. Trafford kept Bolton in it at times.

Bolton are winning nothing without some midfield steel and commanding central defender.
It really wasn't Trafford played half of the game at centre half lol . I can only remember one shot he tipped over and a near cock up early on, Bolton really dominated the first Half. Who was Chorley number 9 he put a shift in. But Chorley hardly crossed the half way line first half. The only shock was we conceded.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Listen to King Wessy, expecting 5 star facilities at non league level. No doubt gutted he couldn't have his nails painted at half-time.

::bellend:: ::bellend:: ::bellend:: ::bellend:: ::bellend::
Not really just thought it was a bit shabby considering it's the time of year  when the paint brushes should be out, i wish Chorley well and if i go again i will support them unless they are playing Bolton.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Chorley scored a goal - evatt out Razz

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't see this game, but what I have read about it only underlines my concerns for the season.
League 1 pitches and playing conditions are variable and the team have to be able to perform regardless - I'm thinking of Morecambe and Burton last season when the same excuses came out.
Our defence hasn't really been tested yet - which is mitigated by our attacking possession based style - but better quality teams will get at us more and if we are strengthening, then surely the place to be doing it is at the back i.e. CB and DM and I won't feel confident until we sign some better quality there. We can have high possession stats, but it's pointless if we continue to concede too easily.
I just hope it can be rectified before the season gets under way or we can rule out promotion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum