Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Mick McCarthy a better manager than Freedman?

+7
jayjay23
xmiles
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Lyric Todkill
doffcocker
Sluffy
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Won 4 out of 7 since he took over, got them out of the bottom three and have just had there first back to back wins in 29 games.

We on the other hand played Alonso, Knight and Andrews all in the same side - master stike Duggie!

Not many people wanted MM when we could have got him - did we pick the right man after all?

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It was a typical MM team performance. They tested our back line on very few occasions and came away with the points.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

doffcocker wrote:It was a typical MM team performance. They tested our back line on very few occasions and came away with the points.

The stats say differently though Doff

Bolton - shots at target 13,

Ipswich - shots at target 12.

Corners - Bolton 4, Ipswich 4.

Possession - Bolton 44%, Ipswich 56%

The simple truth is that we were outplayed at home by up to now, one of the divisions worst clubs.

Fair play to Mick so far.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:
doffcocker wrote:It was a typical MM team performance. They tested our back line on very few occasions and came away with the points.

The stats say differently though Doff

Bolton - shots at target 13,

Ipswich - shots at target 12.

Corners - Bolton 4, Ipswich 4.

Possession - Bolton 44%, Ipswich 56%

The simple truth is that we were outplayed at home by up to now, one of the divisions worst clubs.

Fair play to Mick so far.

We weren't outplayed

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't dougie get a win at Old Trafford? Does that mean he's better than SAF?

I didn't see the game but it seemed we dominated the first 40 minutes, should have been out of sight but didn't take the chances.

the second half was more even and after the pen Ipswich started to dominate the game and nicked the win.

obviously a very poor result at home, but seeing people suggest Dougie should walk for it is just laughable. The fickle fickle nature of football.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

You can't just blame DF for this today, the players fucking bottled it after they equalised and there was only one winner from that point.

They have simply lost the nerve to keep a clean sheet and IMO haven't got the mental attitude to think they will nick a 1-0.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

aaron_bwfc wrote:You can't just blame DF for this today, the players fucking bottled it after they equalised and there was only one winner from that point.

They have simply lost the nerve to keep a clean sheet and IMO haven't got the mental attitude to think they will nick a 1-0.

He seemed a bit clueless

The subs were strange

no width

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well Chungy is a winger - he came on.

People say Kevin Davies shouldn't play 90 minutes, he was subbed like for like for a striker.

And Butters came on for Andrews a mid for a mid.

They might not have had any impact but I'm not sure they're strange subs.

unless of course all the players that came off were dominating, others will let me know about that.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The BBC stats showed Ipswich as having 61% possession in the first half - doesn't sound from that that we dominated the half(?).

I don't remember seeking Freeman's head nor saying McCarthy is better than Sir Alex - simply comparing the first few games of these two managers - both who were linked to us when we were seeking Coyle's replacement.

Seems to me that so far Mick as done better of the two - Ipswich were below us at the time he took over and we were the bookies favourite at the start of the season to win the league!

Fair play to McCarthy so far - or do you not agree?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quite honestly I'm not in the business of deciding who's a "better manager" after 7 games at a new club. Mick is obviously a far more experienced manager having managed 700 games to Dougies 100, so it's a bit of a nonsense really isn't it.

So far Mick has the better record so in that respect he's done better.

but if this comes down to "should we have taken mick because so far he's got 4 wins and dougies got 2" well thats another question i guess. I suppose we'll see at the end of the season when we've got a decent sample size.

If Ipswich storm up the table and get into the playoffs and we languish at the bottom, i suspect you'd have a good case.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I'm prepared to give Dougie more time but today was very worrying. Our defence is it's usual crap self and our forwards can't score (Does anyone believe SKD and Ngog is a viable combination?). We had a one goal lead and we still manage to throw it away.

At the moment clearly Mick has done better - we just have to hope Dougie can turn it round.

I would say that today's result confirms my prediction that we will finish outside the play-off spots though.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"turn it around" after going 6 unbeaten?

Surely you're joking.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I feel where you are coming from Hips. People get carried away after a bad result.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Of course Barnsley Mick is the better manager, he's seen it and done it.

Freedman is still wet behind the ears and has only had partial success at one club (even though Palace haven't done owt).
It doesn't mean that Freedman won't become a decent manager though.

A strange appointment from Bolton and just as strange that Freedman took it considering how well he was doing at Palace.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its not the defeat, its the manner of the defeat that everyone is pissed off at. There is no consistency in our performances. We play well on Tuesday, then fade so badly in the next game, that we throw away the lead. Lets be honest, not all the managers are wrong all the time. The shit performances are down to a disconnected team, all relying on the others, with nobody prepared to step forward, I thinks its the team psyche that is all wrong now, which affects performance, motivation, and just about everything else.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Its not the defeat, its the manner of the defeat that everyone is pissed off at. There is no consistency in our performances. We play well on Tuesday, then fade so badly in the next game, that we throw away the lead. Lets be honest, not all the managers are wrong all the time. The shit performances are down to a disconnected team, all relying on the others, with nobody prepared to step forward, I thinks its the team psyche that is all wrong now, which affects performance, motivation, and just about everything else.

Agreed.

Squad rotation doesn't work when the majority of the squad is shit. But the sign of a good manager is to take advantage of a bit of luck. He was forced to leave Mavies out on Wednesday and we played very well - but then he brings Mavies back and we, once again, look totally disjointed and cluless.

IT'S NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE IS IT DOUGIE?!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Oh, and to answer the question, of course McCarthy is a better manager than Freedman.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

How anybody can compare McCarthy to Freedman is beyond me! One is an experienced manager and the other is still learning his trade.

Maybe we should have this debate in another 5 years or so!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum