Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gartside's Worst Manager - Megson v Coyle

+15
Hipster_Nebula
JAH
Reebok Trotter
Keegan
carrs
finlaymcdanger
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
bryan458
scottjames30
BoltonTillIDie
xmiles
Norpig
Sluffy
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Who is the worst of these two?

Gartside's Worst Manager - Megson v Coyle Vote_lcap44% Gartside's Worst Manager - Megson v Coyle Vote_rcap 44% [ 16 ]
 Gartside's Worst Manager - Megson v Coyle Vote_lcap56% Gartside's Worst Manager - Megson v Coyle Vote_rcap 56% [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 36

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Two corkers to choose from here -

Mr Personality or Clueless!

Remember total votes at the end of the three rounds decides the winner - so every vote counts.

So who did you vote for?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Coyle for me - of course.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it has to be Megson,, he was poison from the moment he came in and the negative way we played was depressing to watch.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

No doubt about it - Coyle.

A much nicer personality than Megson but completely clueless as a manager.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've gone for Megson. The way he slagged of the fans is the reason he is the worst manager.

I know that Columba is probably directly responsible for a fair amount (if not most) of our current problems after he succeeded in throwing away ten years of Premier League stability just before the properly stupid TV money arrived by abandoning training and science in favour of Table Tennis and...er.....not a lot else, but.........

.......if I spotted Megson in a pub, even now, I'd struggle to stop myself from walking over and flattening him.

The man is a detestable piece of arrogant human detritus, who (West Brom apart) is pretty much universally reviled by the fans of the clubs he's managed.

He doesn't care one iota about trying to play football and entertain the paying public, preferring instead to grind out the worst kind of 0-0 draws which involve stifling the opposition and trying to bore them into submission.

And yet he had the neck to sneer at us fans and call us "uneducated" and "pathetic".

This man is the main reason I no longer pay to go and watch Bolton play on a Saturday.

He managed to break a bond which had been resolute for the previous thirty odd years and I can never forgive him for that.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Coyle for getting us relegated.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wow this is a difficult one, Captain Charisma or Mr Bean, Dull Football or Thick Football, I Didn't Detest Coyle like I did Ginger Boy, I'll have to think about this one??????

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Megson. His entire approach was wrong from the moment he came in. People might say he was better than Coyle because we got relegated under Owen BUT in my opinion Coyle had some of the worst luck with injuries and a horrible fixture list in the first half of the drop season that I've ever seen. In the second half of that season he got 27 points from nineteen games and had that been duplicated in the first half we'd have finished eighth. 

Not only that but even though I think Owen proved not to be good enough there were far more high points during his tenure, we saw a lot more entertainment and his rapport with the fans was light years ahead of anything Gary could have dreamed about. 

Both men were ultimately poor managers but in my honest opinion Megson was also a very poor human being and I have no doubt we'd have gone down that season had he not been put on "Gardening Leave" after the disaster against Hull. 

He had no clue how to manage people, no idea how to get the best out of players and absolutely no sense of empathy with the fans at all. For all Owen's faults he at least didn't try to hide behind "We were below Derby you know" or brand fans "pathetic" while insisting "Football people know how good I am and no other manager could have done what I did". 

The final of this competition should be between Megson and Freedman as they are quite literally the same man in different bodies.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Coyle was definitely the worst manager, but Megson was far more punchable.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't see how anybody that put a lot of time and money into following the club during the Megson era could pick Coyle.

Yes it was ultimately Coyle that took us down, but it was clear that Megson would eventually get us relegated. Not necessarily the season he got sacked, but we were getting worse and worse, despite that he always had money to spend (twice as much as Coyle). It's not just that he was over-defensive, anybody that says his tactics, selections and substitutions weren't generally questionable has a short memory.

I came away from most games we won under Megson thinking, "how the hell did we win that?"
It's wrong to blame his failings entirely on his personality. He wasn't a good tactician, he didn't spend money well, his motivational skills were appalling - the team was an absolute shambles under his management and fortunate to be considered worthy of a PL place.

doffcocker wrote:I don't see how anybody that put a lot of time and money into following the club during the Megson era could pick Coyle.

Yes it was ultimately Coyle that took us down, but it was clear that Megson would eventually get us relegated. Not necessarily the season he got sacked, but we were getting worse and worse, despite that he always had money to spend (twice as much as Coyle). It's not just that he was over-defensive, anybody that says his tactics, selections and substitutions weren't generally questionable has a short memory.

I came away from most games we won under Megson thinking, "how the hell did we win that?"
It's wrong to blame his failings entirely on his personality. He wasn't a good tactician, he didn't spend money well, his motivational skills were appalling - the team was an absolute shambles under his management and fortunate to be considered worthy of a PL place.

I agree, it's obviously Megson.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Thought about it, !!!!!! it's Ginger Boy, he was a twat!!!!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too many people are missing the point - the title is WORST MANAGER, not most annoying.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Megson gets my vote.

Only once, in almost 40 years as a Wanderer, have I been driven to join the chorus of disapproval in demanding that the manager be fired. I'm proud to be able to say that I was part of that collective voice at the Hull game.

Coyle was a disaster and eventually sank us but the rot had set in long before he appeared on the scene. Megson would have seen us relegated too if Gartside and co. hadn't allowed him to blow the bank and panic spend us into the situation we're in now. £165m in debt. I also still have very fond memories of Coyle as a player which won't be tainted by his shambolic reign as manager.

Megson was a complete and utter disgrace to the fans, his employers and himself. It pains me to have to type this, but... 'Ginger Mourinho' - what a fucking joke.

I wouldn't wish him on Tranmere.

With Megson I'll always have Munich.

With Coyle I'll always have Stoke at Wembley.

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

Megson he started it sir. Freedman is finishing the job off.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:Coyle was definitely the worst manager, but Megson was far more punchable.
This.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Coyle for me. Yes, Megson was a miserable bugger and the football was dire but he would probably have kept us in the Premiership.

Coyle on the other hand was all hype with no substance. Most of his signings were woeful and he saddled us with massive debt by paying over inflated wages for under performing players.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

RT can you not remember where we were in the league when we sacked Megson and how Coyle steered us to safety that year? FFS people have short memories.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum