Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Megson or Coyle

+6
Culcheth_White
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
largehat
Lofty_Love
jayjay23
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Megson or Coyle Empty Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 11:55

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Speaking to a few people yesterday (Bolton fans) I seemed to be the only one of the group who thinks our overall play is now more pleasing than it was under Megson in general.

I know we are in the relegation zone and there have been some pretty poor shows this season but I am certain that we are creating more chances, having more fun at games, passing more and generally looking more threatening and more exciting to watch than we were a couple of seasons ago.

Am I seeing it all wrong? Just I don't remember many times where Matt Taylor would skin a man or break down the wing and whip in a dangerous cross. I don't remember sweeping passing moves across midfield (and yes I know we make a lot of atrocious passes too). In fact, I can hardly remember us doing any passing that lasted for more than 2 or three consecutive passes, now we stroke the ball around and go backwards when we need to, spread it wide, come back again - we could even be accused of trying to be too intricate at times now.

Now we play the ball out from the back on the floor, we take quick throw ins and quick free kicks. We have some urgency. I used to sit in the stands and almost cry at the number of times we would not take a quick or short throw in instead of the same old lump everything into the box approach (even free kicks from our own half).

Don't you remember how boring that was?

2Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:02

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Coyle, id rather be locked in a room with Joseph Fritzel than ever see that fool Megson near the Reebok again.

Apparently he used to tell the defence he would break their knee caps if they went past the half way line... no positive football was played under Megson

3Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:15

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Gung ho football (Coyle) is more entertaining than negative football (Megson).

4Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:19

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

We're not exactly great under eather of them so they can both jog on for me.

I may be way off the mark but this season especially we have created less chances under coyle than we did under megson at home i'm sure of it.

We rarely get past 5 clear cut chances in a game at the reebok in a game under coyle.

5Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Gung ho football (Coyle) is more entertaining than negative football (Megson).

I agree. Megson certainly has an eye for talent but his personal skills are a bit lacking. It's not his fault, it's just his nature. In a straight shoot-out I would go with Coyle just because of his enthusiasm.

6Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:28

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

We score more goals under Coyle than under Megson, and actually try to win the cups. Coyle wouldn't have spunked away our place in the Europa League.

7Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:29

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Both Coyle and Megson have their strengths, megsons was having an eye for a player over and coyles is being more fan/player friendly wanting play good football.

If you could combine the 2 of them on their strengths we would have an excellent manager but sadly neither are good enough managers for the premier league IMO.

8Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:40

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

eye for a player? Megsons signings were generally pretty poor, especialy for the prices/wages

I actually prefer Coyles signings, pity most just get injured..

9Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:44

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

He brought it more quality than Coyle, ok not every signing was great but look at some of the signins he made:

Cahill, Steinsson, Muamba, Mark Davies, Taylor.

Coyle has signed some aweful players and apart Holden most have been below par.

10Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:50

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Megson also signed Elmander, Cohen, Raziak, Knight and Robinson.

We can all play the 'selective transfer top trumps' game.

11Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:54

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Elmander has scored more than Ngog, Cohen has offered more in the midfield than Pratley IMO, Raziak was just a panic loan buy, Knight.....ok I will give you that.

But Robbo was the player of the year for us in his 1st season with us, ok he is not good enough anymore but at the time we signed him he impressed.

I'm not playing the top trumps game, I am just showing you that Megson brought in more playres with quality than Coyle.

12Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 12:55

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

aaron_bwfc wrote:He brought it more quality than Coyle, ok not every signing was great but look at some of the signins he made:

Cahill, Steinsson, Muamba, Mark Davies, Taylor.

Coyle has signed some aweful players and apart Holden most have been below par.

Mark d has been poor, Steinsson is average, Taylor is average, Muamba is a decent DM but cost 5mill. Cahill is good but paired with Knight they cost 5 mill each. Megson got Chungy but I do think hes the only bit of class, and for the money he spent thats pretty criminal.

some of Coyles first signings were Holden and Petrov on frees and Wilshire on loan just as a quick comparison. And I really like the look of Ream.

Last edited by Lofty_Love on Tue May 08 2012, 13:02; edited 1 time in total

13Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:01

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

aaron_bwfc wrote:Elmander has scored more than Ngog,

Elmander scored one more goal in his first season.. and cost 3 times as much and was 4 years older.

Eagles has scored more than Elmander.

He is our worst signing in our premier league history in my opinion

14Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:02

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree he brought in more players than Coyle, but he spunked away a lot of money, Coyle has had to fund his own transfers.

Elmander - £10m, left for nothing - result - -£10m
Cahill - £5m+adds ons, result - no profit
Muamba - £5m - may never play again - though not Megson's fault
Davis - £3m - may never play again - though not Megson's fault
Taylor - £4m - sold for £2.2m
Connolly - £1m - has he even made a first team appearance?
Knight - £5m - £5m lost
Steinsson - £3.5m - £3.5m lost
Robinson £1.5m - £1.5m lost
Ricketts £2m - £2m lost

As it stands the only Megson signings the club stands to do anything other than lose an absolute fortune in are Mark Davies and Chung Yong Lee.

You can say what you want about the ability of Coyle's signings but Reo-Coker, Petrov and Klasnic cost nothing and will leave for nothing, and we would get a fee for Pratley, Eagles, Mears, Ngog, Sordell, Wylde, Wheater and Ream.

One of them operated with a PL budget and spunked it all away, one of them operated with no budget and signed younger players with a resale value.

Last edited by largehat on Tue May 08 2012, 13:52; edited 1 time in total

15Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:04

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'll admit Sparky hasn't shown the potential he was supposed to and Steinsson isn't the best right back in the world but Taylor was a good signing IMO, good free kicks and corners. Muamba was poor in his first season but developed a lot as a player in megsons last season and coyles first.

Either way I am not sticking up for Megson as I hated every moment of his reign here and would pick coyle every day of the week, as I said though I don't think either are good enough which has been proved.

16Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:05

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

perfectly summed up LH

17Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:23

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:
largehat wrote:Gung ho football (Coyle) is more entertaining than negative football (Megson).

I agree. Megson certainly has an eye for talent but his personal skills are a bit lacking. It's not his fault, it's just his nature. In a straight shoot-out I would go with Coyle just because of his enthusiasm.
Megson did sign some good players, but I will never forgive him for signing KNIGHTMARE!

18Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:47

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:
He is our worst signing in our premier league history in my opinion

Mario Jardel should have that honour.

19Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:57

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Quinton Fortune or Ibrahim Ba run them both very close for that honour too.

20Megson or Coyle Empty Re: Megson or Coyle Tue May 08 2012, 13:57

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I wouldn't piss on Gary Megson if he was on fire. He is the devil in human form and it amazes me that somebody who's so blatantly odious can be taken seriously in the game. Whatever Coyle is, he hasn't managed to alienate the entire fanbase by basically blaming us week in week out for the team's and thus his failings.

Much as Coyle can hardly be discounted having had precious little money to spend after this Sordell episode, the reality still remains that Megson had more than twice as much.

I'm not sure about the whole "Megson had an eye for talent" claim. The only ones that stand out to me are as follows:

Cahill - numerous PL clubs wanted him at the time, indicating that the fact he was talented was no big secret.
CYL - will have been spotted by a scout, not Gary Megson, and it could well be the case that he was actually a Gartside signing, given his nationality.
Mark Davies - very hit and miss.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum