Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL

+29
Numpty 28723
wanderlust
finlaymcdanger
Hip Priest
rammywhite
Reebok Trotter
Copper Dragon
Keegan
NickFazer
bryan458
gloswhite
scottjames30
luckyPeterpiper
Norpig
aaron_bwfc
Mr Magoo
karlypants
Bwfc1958
Pevensey Pete
rogercpc
MartinBWFC
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
boltonbonce
Chairmanda
Hipster_Nebula
33 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

21WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 14:59

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Club confirm Neil Lennon as new manager with Johan Mjallby and Garry Parker also joining.

Bolton Wanderers are delighted to announce the appointment of Neil Lennon as the club’s new manager.

Lennon, 43, joins the club after a successful four-year spell at the helm of Scottish giants Celtic, where he won three league titles, two domestic cups and led the side in European competition.

Lennon also enjoyed a decorated playing career, most notably with Crewe Alexandra, Leicester City and Celtic, as well as representing Northern Ireland on the international stage.

The extensive list of high calibre applicants demonstrated how those candidates viewed the opportunity to manage the club, even in its present position at the bottom of the Championship table.            

Following a process of first and second interviews with a shortlist of initial candidates, a unanimous decision was taken by Eddie Davies, Brett Warburton and Phil Gartside.

The club are delighted and excited to appoint Neil Lennon. He brings with him experience at the highest level and an infectious enthusiasm to take the club forward.

He will officially take charge of the Bolton Wanderers team from Monday morning in the run up to our upcoming game away at Birmingham City.

Lennon will be joined by assistant manager Johan Mjallby and first team coach Garry Parker.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

22WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:01

rogercpc

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

four year contract? 10 days can be a long time in football!

23WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:04

rogercpc wrote:four year contract? 10 days can be a long time in football!

Talks with the former Northern Ireland international, revealed on Friday, continued over the weekend and the formalities of a rolling one-year deal were completed yesterday.

24WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:05

Pevensey Pete

Pevensey Pete
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:Not sure how I feel about this, very inexperienced in the English leagues, on the other hand, sounds like he won't take no shit, so if he can wake this shower of shit out of their hibernation, and actually get them playing, then that's good enough for me.

On the plus side he's been given a one year rolling contract, so if he does turn out to be a bit shit he can be sent out for not a lot of dosh, at least they are learning.

My mole says it's a 4 year deal.
Go to your GP straight away,any change in a mole could be dangerous and a talking one sounds very serious.

25WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:21

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:Wouldn't say it was a crazy appointment, but it certainly is a risky one.

Our goal now is to avoid relegation - simple as that.

Can he do it?

I honestly don't know because he has absolutely zero experience of managing a team in the circumstances we find ourselves in currently - no money, crap squad, disgruntled fans, etc.

It's a world away from Sellick.......

There's a part of me that thinks Gartside has given him the job purely to appease the fans by bringing in an alleged "big name" but he's not really though, is he?

All he's done is win the league in Scotland during a period when it would have actually been harder to lose it than win it, ie without Rangers.

I'm not convinced but I'll give him a fair crack.

Top post.

Must admit to being one of those that's slightly appeased by the "big name".
The Freedman fiasco was so drawn out, it really seemed like the club had given up, that we were stuck with Freedman, and that even if we did sack him, we'd never convince anybody respectable to come here with the way things are being run.

It's actually a relief to see that we can still attract people of a decent calibre despite all the shit that's going on behind the scenes. It's also a relief that we might see a few new players coming in, as I can't see Lennon coming here without having been promised that.

26WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:26

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Natasha Whittam wrote:Crazy, crazy appointment, but once again the stupid Bolton fans think this is a great decision by the board.

Lennon has no experience of managing in English football, never mind the Championship. He has absolutely no experience of managing on a shoestring and his only managerial role was in the easiest job in European football.

This is a mental appointment and just because Lennon might be able to fire the players up more than Dougie doesn't mean results will improve.

You heard it here first, I'll bet Lennon doesn't make it until the end of the season.
If nobody gives him a chance he will never get experience. He may well turn out to be a great manager at any level and let's face it can he do worse than dougie? Nobody can do worse than dougie freedman so let's give the guy a chance to prove himself. A one year rolling contract is sensible. Let's just hope we're not in league 1 by the time it's up

27WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:29

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's got to be better than freedman, welcome Lennon!  cheers

28WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:35

Just had a bit of a root around on t'interweb, looking at Sellick's recent transfer activity (trying to work out why he walked away from them) and discovered that during Lennon's last season with them, he was allowed to bring in nine permanent signings for just shy of £12 million. (No loan signings.)

After winning the league, he then walked away.

This season they've brought in just one permanent signing for £2.3 million, one on a free and five on loan.

Obviously I'm just guessing, but I reckon he was told that the well was drying up and he'd have to work with far less money for players and this could explain why he walked.

Doesn't augur well........

Hope I'm wrong.

29WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:36

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Good luck to him, he will need it.

30WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Just had a bit of a root around on t'interweb, looking at Sellick's recent transfer activity (trying to work out why he walked away from them) and discovered that during Lennon's last season with them, he was allowed to bring in nine permanent signings for just shy of £12 million. (No loan signings.)

After winning the league, he then walked away.

This season they've brought in just one permanent signing for £2.3 million, one on a free and five on loan.

Obviously I'm just guessing, but I reckon he was told that the well was drying up and he'd have to work with far less money for players and this could explain why he walked.

Doesn't augur well........

Hope I'm wrong.

If that was the reason surely this job wouldn't have appealed to him.

I suspect the off the field stuff was just as big a reason + if you are serious about making a name for yourself as many have already said, you can't stay at Celtic forever. 

31WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:11

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'm rather happy with this appointment, the likes of Mowbary and Clarke didn't do much for me even with their experience.

Lennon certainly doesn't look like a guy you want to get on the wrong side of, just ask that cock Ally McCoist.

32WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:12

Kudos to RT by the way, for being properly "ITK" last night.

It seems his mole could teach Whittam's a thing or six...... Very Happy

33WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i'm fairly happy with this, i can understand some of the reservations about his inexperience in the Championship but we all need to get down to the Macron and back the team 100% to get out of this relegation battle.
It's a shame he fell out with Tomo though, it would have been nice to see him back at Bolton

34WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:46

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

If the story is true, about their currently being a divide within the camp between ex palace players and the rest of the first team, then that will be Neils first job to sort out.

Welcome to the mad house Neil!

35WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:51

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

In general I think this is a very solid looking appointment. And if the ex-palace guys feel they're somehow special or in charge I rather think they're about to be slapped down hard. Lennon won't brook a player thinking he's bigger than his team mates or club. So if there's any truth to the rumours about Spearing leading some kind of dressing room revolt he should be aware that if he tries that now he'll be out of the team so fast you'll hear the sonic boom when his butt hits the stands.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lennon spend his first few weeks just getting to know the players and re-organising things on a small scale rather than making wholesale overnight changes but one thing that I think will change immediately is player attitudes on the pitch and off. Those who won't or can;t will rapidly be gone. 

I'll be honest and say I hoped it would go to Chris Hughton, I rate him a lot but Lennon's not at all a bad choice and I'll give him my full support at least for the rest of this season. He needs time and space to change things gradually, especially given the constraints he'll have to work with financially. 

Good luck Neil. Welcome to Bolton Wanderers. 

PS why not open yourself a Nuts account? You'll soon find out just how mad your new employers fans are. Very Happy

Last edited by luckyPeterpiper on Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:56; edited 1 time in total

36WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:55

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The club can finally move forwards bounce

37WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 17:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I shall back him and the team for some time to come, but I think some of the fans will be disappointed, at least initially, if they think he will charge in and sort out all the internal politics of the players and club, overnight. Lets be honest, its a very sick club, and its going to take more than a few quick hits to make it a successful concern again.

38WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 17:18

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Good Luck, I'll get behind him for now, I hope it works out but I feel this is going to be yet another Gartside DISASTER!!!!

39WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 17:21

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon is going to be just great, the team will be coming out full of fire, I just cant believe Gartside has actually done something correctly .

40WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: WELCOME NEIL LENNON OFFICIAL Sun Oct 12 2014, 17:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Scott, just noticed that following the club seems to have aged you quite a bit Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum