Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Internet abbreviations...

+7
boltonbonce
Norpig
Hipster_Nebula
Keegan
Sluffy
Copper Dragon
Bolton Nuts
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Internet abbreviations...  Empty Internet abbreviations... Sat Mar 14 2015, 23:31

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I have kind of grown more accustomed to reading and even casually using certain abbreviations when on the internet. But some of them took me a while to figure out what they meant...

Do you remember a time when you had to figure one out?

I'm pretty sure I used to wonder what OP meant iirc. I also wondered for a while about iirc.

ROTFL...!

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sat Mar 14 2015, 23:58

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Lazy bastard speak.

The people who use these abbreviations are usually people who are on their devices and the internet all day, so they have plenty of time to type out all the letters.

The Yanks and the sheep in this country are trying to destroy the English language.

For Fried Steak!

3Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 00:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Good win for you Copper.

I was trying to think how I could have said that in text speak or whatever it is now called but I'm far to old and set in my ways to know how to do it!

Will you catch and pass Sunderland now and do you think Villa have found a way out for themselves?

4Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 00:23

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Villa always had enough quality to get out of it.

We have the least quality players out of the whole league, but we have something more than any other in the league.

A win against Man City obviously helps but it doesn't change anything.

If we go down every fan to a man/women can say that all the lads gave their all.

And whatever happens, that will be good enough for me.

5Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 01:22

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

afaik, the Burnley win over City was their best result this season, iirc. I had to lol at the result - I was all ffs, City! How do you expect to retain the title playing like that? Then I saw a clip of Eden Hazard laughing at the result and I pmsl. smh.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

6Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 09:36

Copper Dragon wrote:Lazy bastard speak.

The people who use these abbreviations are usually people who are on their devices and the internet all day, so they have plenty of time to type out all the letters.

The Yanks and the sheep in this country are trying to destroy the English language.

For Fried Steak!

This.

It gets right on my tits.

And in a similar vein, I nearly had a stroke a few years ago when the OED decided that they were throwing in the towel and changing the definition of the word "literally" simply because young people nowadays are too thick to use it correctly:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392586/Oxford-English-Dictionary-admits-used-wrong-sense-word-literally.html

Ridiculous!

7Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 10:39

On the whole I don't use them, might throw in the odd IMO on here but that's it.

It literally kills me when I read grown men saying things like LMAO and ROFL.

8Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 10:41

I quite like STFU

9Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 10:41

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I always use IMO. Just handy isn't it.

10Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 10:51

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I always use IMO. Just handy isn't it.

No.

It's a pointless, inherently redundant phrase.

If your Mrs asked you if you wanted chips or mash with your tea, would you start your reply:

"In my opinion, I'd like chips."

No, would you fuck.

Same on here.

If you're responding to a thread, you don't need to tell us that what you've typed is a reflection of your opinion on the subject under discussion, as by definition, what you type is based on your opinion.

Stupid phrase.

Please don't use it again.

11Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 10:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i still type all my texts long hand, i cant stand abbreviations either. My much younger sisters however use the abbreviations all the time and it takes me ages to follow sometimes  Very Happy

12Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 11:15

My mate has a 13 year old daughter and instead of laughing, she actually says LOL.

13Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .. ... / - .... . / ..-. ..- - ..- .-. .

14Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .. ... / - .... . / ..-. ..- - ..- .-. .

I see your still stuck in a time warp Bonce!

No doubt it says "Nice to see you..." Very Happy

15Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:If your Mrs

LOL

16Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .. ... / - .... . / ..-. ..- - ..- .-. .

Fair comment KP. I'm the only man I know who still writes with a quill. Shocked

17Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

It actually says ' morse code is the future'

As an ex Radio Officer, I can vouch it will never go out of use. As the very simplest comms, just on-off keying, it will, at least most of the time, get through when all the new fangled stuff has been destroyed.

Well done Bonce, for reminding me that its not all satellites and fibre optics Very Happy

18Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:48

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:

'your'

Now that's just effing ridiculous. Ban yourself immediately.

19Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:49

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Also, the use of abbreviated words isn't new. Radio ops have used them for many years, along with specific meanings being shown, as Q or Z codes e.g QSA IMI meaning what is my signal strength.

20Internet abbreviations...  Empty Re: Internet abbreviations... Sun Mar 15 2015, 13:57

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

gloswhite wrote:Also, the use of abbreviated words isn't new. Radio ops have used them for many years, along with specific meanings being shown, as Q or Z codes e.g QSA IMI meaning what is my signal strength.

Time saving because they are doing a job.

Not pissing about on the internet or phone coming across all stupid.

The one that really does make me want to get my axe out and go on a murderous rampage is 'ppl' instead of 'people'.

Three effing letters difference, effing morons.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum