Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Transfer rumours !

+27
finlaymcdanger
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
JAH
bryan458
Sluffy
Barryjw
xmiles
Reebok_Rebel
MartinBWFC
observer
rammywhite
Hipster_Nebula
Banks of the Croal
Copper Dragon
Keegan
terenceanne
FullofSprite
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
scottjames30
Bwfc1958
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
Boggersbelief
karlypants
Norpig
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Go down  Message [Page 45 of 50]

881Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 13:55

I agree up to a point, Rammy but Gartside's the sort of character who will always (deservedly in my view) attract this sort of criticism.

He was only too happy to shove his face in front of any available camera when times were good and he seemed to court the limelight with his ridiculous ideas when he was trying to raise his profile as a serious player within the English FA. (The two tier Premier League nonsense and inviting Rangers & Celtic to join the league.)

However, now that times are lean, he's done a disappearing act worthy of David Copperfield and when he does deign to briefly pop out from his bunker, all we've had are the odd "Don't worry, everything's fine" messages that are now wearing very thin.

Everything patently isn't fine and we're in a real mess.

And who has presided over our rapid decline into financial oblivion?

Him.

And he's personnally made plenty of money out of BWFC Plc whilst doing it.

Throw into the mix the judge's comments about his character and how his questionable relationship with the truth made him a less than trustworthy witness when he was in court recently, and you can see why he's such a magnet for abuse.

Yes, his job is a difficult one and (Manda aside) I doubt there's anyone on here who could effectively carry out the duties of Chairman of a modern professional football club, but he's brought a lot of the abuse on himself in my opinion and most of it is well deserved.

882Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 13:57

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

spot on Breaders  :clap:

883Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 14:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I agree up to a point, Rammy but Gartside's the sort of character who will always (deservedly in my view) attract this sort of criticism.

He was only too happy to shove his face in front of any available camera when times were good and he seemed to court the limelight with his ridiculous ideas when he was trying to raise his profile as a serious player within the English FA. (The two tier Premier League nonsense and inviting Rangers & Celtic to join the league.)

However, now that times are lean, he's done a disappearing act worthy of David Copperfield and when he does deign to briefly pop out from his bunker, all we've had are the odd "Don't worry, everything's fine" messages that are now wearing very thin.

Him.

Throw into the mix the judge's comments about his character and how his questionable relationship with the truth made him a less than trustworthy witness when he was in court recently, and you can see why he's such a magnet for abuse.

Yes, his job is a difficult one and (Manda aside) I doubt there's anyone on here who could effectively carry out the duties of Chairman of a modern professional football club, but he's brought a lot of the abuse on himself in my opinion and most of it is well deserved.

But isn't Gartside an employee just like anyone else? Isn't he simply a pawn for Eddie Davies.

Eddie Davies didn't get rich by being an idiot so why keep Gartside on if he's not doing exactly as requested?

884Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 14:43

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:I agree up to a point, Rammy but Gartside's the sort of character who will always (deservedly in my view) attract this sort of criticism.

Him.

But isn't Gartside an employee just like anyone else? Isn't he simply a pawn for Eddie Davies.

Eddie Davies didn't get rich by being an idiot so why keep Gartside on if he's not doing exactly as requested?
Exactly Nat... he is the accounting genius who inflates the numbers owed to Eddie through totally legal methods.  If he had done a poor job at that, he would have been fired.

885Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 15:08

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Gartside and Davies pull all the strings. Everyone else does as they're told.

I'm eagerly awaiting Johnnys grilling of this pair so we can all get the answers we want.

886Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 15:10

Bwfc1958 wrote:Gartside and Davies pull all the strings. Everyone else does as they're told.

I'm eagerly awaiting Johnnys grilling of this pair so we can all get the answers we want.
I would seriously do it.  in a totally professional manner of course.  i'm not a complete fuckwit all the time!

887Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 15:22

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

y2johnny wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:Gartside and Davies pull all the strings. Everyone else does as they're told.

I would seriously do it.  in a totally professional manner of course.  i'm not a complete fuckwit all the time!
I don't doubt you for a second mate. Get them emails sent so the great and the good of nuts can sort out some probing questions. If he refuses you can threaten him. Tell him boncey will send him 5 Bruce forsyth dvds every day for the rest of his life. We'll soon have our answers.

888Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 15:24

Not sure what your point is there, Nat.

We can only assume that ED is happy with Gartside (for the reasons cited above by Obs), but that doesn't mean he's off the hook in my book.

"I was merely following orders" wasn't a valid defence at Nuremberg after the war and nor should it be now.

It all depends on your stance regarding Eddie Davies, I suppose:

Altruistic benefactor who has bankrolled the club at great personal cost or shady front for an unnamed consortium who has used Gartside's undoubted talents as an accountant to create a portfolio of property and interests around BWFC which have been used to move money around and artificially increase their (the consortium's) wealth on paper.

I dunno, I just make bread......

889Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 15:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Not sure what your point is there, Nat.

We can only assume that ED is happy with Gartside (for the reasons cited above by Obs), but that doesn't mean he's off the hook in my book.

"I was merely following orders" wasn't a valid defence at Nuremberg after the war and nor should it be now.

Not saying Gartside is blameless by any means, but he seems to take all the stick while people seem to bow at the feet of Eddie Davies.

But chances are Gartside is doing exactly what Davies wants.

890Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 15:46

Fully agree with that.

Which is why I'm in the second camp regarding ED.

891Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 16:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

I don't doubt you for a second mate. Get them emails sent so the great and the good of nuts can sort out some probing questions. If he refuses you can threaten him. Tell him boncey will send him 5 Bruce forsyth dvds every day for the rest of his life. We'll soon have our answers.
Careful. Evil or Very Mad Now I'm awake.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

892Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 16:06

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

boltonbonce wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

Careful. Evil or Very Mad Now I'm awake.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Very Happy
That's not creepy at all.......

893Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 16:07

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

y2johnny wrote:

Take your new mate AD with you, if all else fails, the thumbscrews will get us answers.

894Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 17:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:spot on Breaders  :clap:

Not quite. There's only one "n" in personally - although there are 2 in personnel. Pedantry at it's finest.

I think that people are generally supportive of Davies because regardless of his level of involvement in running the club, what is indisputable is the vast amount of money he has invested and continued to invest despite worsening debt. Without him there would have been no Premier League or European adventure in the first place.

895Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 18:04

MartinBWFC wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

Take your new mate AD with you, if all else fails, the thumbscrews will get us answers.

The guy is seriously mental. Mental in a serious way like he needs help

He is the biggest tool i have ever come across

896Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 18:48

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Whether it's fat phil's fault or not ....he is the chairman ...and therefore responsible for the disaster at this club.  In any regular business he would be long gone. If this were a public company with shareholders they would have had a public hanging by now.  If other officials are incompetent within the club he should have fired them years back...that's also his job.
Ultimately Big Eddie holds the bag....... I admit I can't fathom that lad out ..... imagine if you or I owned a football club and let these tossers run it.  scratch

897Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 20:12

wanderlust wrote:

Not quite. There's only one "n" in personally - although there are 2 in personnel. Pedantry at it's finest.

I think that people are generally supportive of Davies because regardless of his level of involvement in running the club, what is indisputable is the vast amount of money he has invested and continued to invest despite worsening debt. Without him there would have been no Premier League or European adventure in the first place.

Ah, but has he though?

His personal wealth when he bought the club (although not known for definite) was generally believed to be about £70 million.

He then paid 10p in the pound when he snapped up (under basically a compulsory purchase order) everybody else's shares, so it's not like he took control by paying £40 million for the club - it must have been a lot less than that.

We then had ten or so years in the Prem and if you take £20 million per season earned in TV money / prize money, that gives us a nice round £200 million in income. (Forget shirt and ticket sales for a minute.)

And "we" are now £180 million in debt.

So have we really blown £380 million + whatever ED has invested?

I just can't see that, so I'm left doubting that ED has invested much at all really because if he'd chosen to stick, let's say, £40 million of his own money into the club, that'd mean we'd pissed £420 million away over the last few years.

And that's a lot of poke......

And let's not forget that when his "lump sum" investments have been made public (£8 million to get Anelka) he got that back more or less straight away plus interest.

It just doesn't stack up for me.

(Top marks for the the pedantry, by the way - I applaud you, sir.)  :clap:

898Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 20:18

Breadman wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Ah, but has he though?

His personal wealth when he bought the club (although not known for definite) was generally believed to be about £70 million.

He then paid 10p in the pound when he snapped up (under basically a compulsory purchase order) everybody else's shares, so it's not like he took control by paying £40 million for the club - it must have been a lot less than that.

We then had ten or so years in the Prem and if you take £20 million per season earned in TV money / prize money, that gives us a nice round £200 million in income. (Forget shirt and ticket sales for a minute.)

I just can't see that, so I'm left doubting that ED has invested much at all really because if he'd chosen to stick, let's say, £40 million of his own money into the club, that'd mean we'd pissed £420 million away over the last few years.

And let's not forget that when his "lump sum" investments have been made public (£8 million to get Anelka) he got that back more or less straight away plus interest.

And there is a lot more revenue stream on top of that too. Dont forget we had a few seasons finishing higher up the table and even getting into europe twice. A few decent cup runs. And like you said ticket sales and merchandise over a ten year period would be quite substantial. All the years we had in the prem i think the revenue could quite easily have been 450mill+.

899Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 20:21

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Breadman wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Ah, but has he though?

Breadman has succinctly told us why Gartside is still here.  He is the financial wizard behind the legal manipulation of monies... including depreciation, off-shore accounts, land holdings, commercial development, and most of all, making ED happy.  Perhaps the results lately have not been good for the club, but it's only an investment.  What is more important is how the balance sheet looks to ED... and I'm sure Gartside has done nothing less than a brilliant job at that.

900Transfer rumours ! - Page 45 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Fri Aug 21 2015, 20:27

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:spot on Breaders  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

.....................................................................................................................................................................

Not so fast, Wander! I can top that pedantry! "It's" with an apostrophe can only mean "It is " or "it has" 
Without an apostrophe, "its" = "belonging to it"   

Eg: It's lost its smell.

Now, if we can just get Sluffy to recognise the difference between "as" and "has"..........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum