Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Davies Cup - Britains first win in nearly 80 years today?

+4
okocha
Chairmanda
Bwfc1958
Sluffy
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm not a great lover of tennis but there is kind of like a world cup of tennis and Team GB has reached the final against little Belgium and it kicks off today - well right now actually.

It the best out of five matches spread over three days (I think).

We've not won the thing for about 80 years or so apparently, so lets all get behind the lads and wish them all the very best!

(Latest news - seems we are 3-0 in the first set of the first rubber).

Last edited by Sluffy on Sun Nov 29 2015, 13:02; edited 1 time in total

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm probably alone on this thread but the british kid (making his debut in the final too!) is currently spanking the Belgium favourite in this first rubber and has already won the first set and is 1-4 up in the second.

Fantastic stuff.

Follow it if you can HERE -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Now 5-1

Tremendous stuff!

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Rubber?

2 set points for a 2-0 lead....

Double fault, 2-0.

Piece of piss.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bwfc1958 wrote:Rubber?

I think that's what its called in a 'team' tennis match.

Apologies if I've got it wrong.

The British lad as now won the second set.

Great stuff!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Looks like the British lad bottles gone.

Got spanked in the third set and now losing in the fourth.

To be honest, when it was 5-0 in the first and Belgium pulled a game back to make it 5-1 and Jonathon Overend on comms said "Oh, go on then.....we'll give you one game" two things struck me:

1. Bit early for being smug

and

2. It's no wonder everybody hates us with statements like that.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The British lad gut well and truly stuffed in the end but he played wonderfully well for the first two sets.

1-0 down in a best of 5 competition.

Murray up next!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Guess that there is only me interested in this?

The Murray brothers won the singles yesterday to put the match score as 2-1 to us and Murray has just won the first set of todays singles, which if he goes on to win will give us the Davies Cup for the first time in 79 years.

A bit of history in the making I hope.

Live on iplayer here if anyone interested -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/34402185

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'm glued to it sluffster...Murrays making v hard work of second set. be amazing if it went to the final match and our 108 in the world youngster won it for us?

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy, Manda: How on earth did you manage to tear yourselves away from TV long enough to post on here??!! 
Absolutely awesome to come from the brink of relegation from the world group five years ago to become the world champions now. Skill, stamina, hours and hours of practice and conditioning, mental strength in the face of huge vocal away support, and ability to hold your nerve at key moments.

Well, that sorts out the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award for team performance and possibly the individual award too: we should all relish and cherish the fact that  in Andy Murray we have one of our greatest ever sportsmen in our midst right now. Appreciate this win and this player, for we may never see the like again.

It's not like it's a proper sport though, is it?

It's like being Tiddly Winks World Champions or holding the Guinness World Record for sitting in a bath full of beans, isn't it?

A nice title to hold but not really that impressive, is it?

If it was, we'd never have won it in the first place.......

:bomb:

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Breadman: Natasha is rubbing off on you.......so to speak.......

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to dislike Andy Murray. But now I see that he is a rare bread of professional sportsman who is in it to win things, rather than the money.

He put everything into this Davis Cup win, and you could tell by his reaction at the end how much it meant to him.

Top bloke.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fantastic.

I'm not into tennis but then again I'm not into golf either but The Ryder Cup is for me one of the great sporting events of the last couple of decades.

I'm not sure The Davies Cup matches it but its been really a gripping three days watching how it all panned out with of course the bonus of a historic British win.

An amazing 24 hours of sport with first the win for Fury, then DeGale and now Murray inspired Davies Cup.

Hope it somehow inspires us for Monday nights game!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:It's not like it's a proper sport though, is it?

It's like being Tiddly Winks World Champions or holding the Guinness World Record for sitting in a bath full of beans, isn't it?

A nice title to hold but not really that impressive, is it?

If it was, we'd never have won it in the first place.......

:bomb:
World nettle eating champion.
A man was celebrating today after retaining his title of world champion stinging nettle chomper by eating his way through a record equalling 76ft of the plants that most people take great pains to avoid.
Simon Sleigh, from Forkchurch, Dorset, took on a field of a dozen gastronomic gladiators at a country pub yesterday and confessed after his hour long fiery feast: "I hate the bloody things, honest."
After his win at the Bottle Inn in the tiny Dorset village of Marshwood, population 300, Sleigh, an organic vegetable grower in his early forties, said he felt no pain.
"I made every effort to make sure it did not hurt, it comes with experience," he said, admitting that washing the leaves down with beer was a factor which "helped enormously".
Sleigh came second in his debut year of competition before his first win last year, and yesterday beat his nearest rival by about 20ft of nettles.
He and his competitors were faced with the challenge of stripping and eating the leaves of as many 2ft long specially nurtured stinging nettle stalks as they could in the allotted time.
At the end of the hour the judges measured the number of stalks each competitor had cleared and declared Sleigh the winner.
The nettle eating was the finale of a day-long beer festival backed by the Charles Wells brewery.
Shane Pym, 45, landlord at the pub since 1997, said the nettle eating contest evolved from an informal annual "longest nettle" bet which dated back to the mid eighties.
Pub regular Alex Williams, one of the competitors, said he would eat his 15ft 6in long plant if anyone could beat it - and did so when a 16-footer was produced.
"It became a tradition that if he did not win he would eat his nettle," said Mr Pym, adding that he then suggested a free-for-all nettle eating competition.
"It attracts more and more interest each year, and this time we have competitors coming from London and Cornwall," he said.
It was hoped the competition would be recognised by the Guinness Book of Records, he said.
Not a word from the BBC. We'll have to get Johnny to enter.

Now that is an impressive feat.

Bet Andy Murray and his massive head couldn't do that.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thoroughly enjoyed the tennis this weekend. Never thought we'd win the Davis Cup in my lifetime so I'm well impressed. Sure it was the Murray show, but I thought Edmunds did well in his game before tiring and there is some strength in depth with the likes of Ward who played in earlier rounds.
But it's amazing that we're World Champions ahead of teams like Spain, Serbia and Switzerland (who had both Federer and Stan Wawrinka) - just goes to show the importance of having a good doubles partnership in this format and the Murray brothers can carry that off.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum