Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

a simpletons view of events

+5
Sluffy
doffcocker
wanderlust
rammywhite
Norpig
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1a simpletons view of events Empty a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 11:57

So let's start with Eddie.

Eddie came up with an invention to make a brew. A truly brilliant one of a kind idea that is now in nearly every home in the country i imagine.

So he is a clever man, but that doesn't necessarily make him a clever business man.

He has clearly jumped at the chance of owning the football team he supports, something i could only ever dream of. The problem lies that he has obviously had a lot of bad advice along the the way and now we are paying for it.

He has shut up shop and isnt splashing anymore cash. Whether it is his or secret investors, who knows, certainly not us.

The club is going to change hands one way or another. Hopefully without a 12 point deduction and hopefully with a bit of funding to strengthen the squad in january. It ahould have been done sooner, in my opinion, but we play the cars we are dealt.

Going forward, it looks like deano has some at least one decent BUSINESS man backing him in property tycoon Peter Jones. He also has a fair bit of wedge to back him up but the rumour is, that his dtake in the consortium is only minimal.

Again, in my opinion, this is the only consortium that gets mentioned and has seemed to gather pace. Other consortiums may have been a tactic to get them to get their shit together. Did they even exist?

The rumours and rife and we cant believe everything that is tweeted, reported on or whispered about. 99% is just bullshit. Its a waiting game but one way or another the club WILL survive, we will continue to exist but at what level is really anybodies guess.

2a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 11:59

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

good summation Johnny, easier to follow than some of the other threads yesterday  Very Happy

3a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:01

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Y2 Johnny- sounds like a reasonable summary of events. You're right that almost all of it  is speculation and rumour coming from God knows where. All we can do is sit tight and wait for events to unfold.

4a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:Y2 Johnny- sounds like a reasonable summary of events. You're right that almost all of it  is speculation and rumour coming from God knows where. All we can do is sit tight and wait for events to unfold.
True but as with all long-running rumour sagas we can "read between the lines" and if you've been around acquisitions, buyouts and venture capital as I have the signs are there to see much in the same way we can read body language when we see people.

I don't personally buy all this disparaging of Eddie (sorry Bread!) because there is no real evidence to suggest he hasn't got the club at heart. That may emerge in the fullness of time, but nothing yet so it's sit on the fence time with that one for me.

Looking at the limited info that has come out and the forces that act on the various parties, it's clear that there are a lot of elements to what is a complex negotiation and it could go either way but if I had to bet my life on an outcome I'd say that a takeover remains the most likely option and that administration won't happen. Obviously it could all go tits up over who gets to keep the photocopier, but all the signs all along have been supporting the takeover theory IMO.

If I'm right, the big concern is the new owners business plan.

5a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:19

wanderlust wrote:
rammywhite wrote:Y2 Johnny- sounds like a reasonable summary of events. You're right that almost all of it  is speculation and rumour coming from God knows where. All we can do is sit tight and wait for events to unfold.
True but as with all long-running rumour sagas we can "read between the lines" and if you've been around acquisitions, buyouts and venture capital as I have the signs are there to see much in the same way we can read body language when we see people.

58, i'd recommend whatever binoculars lusty is using for your lad.

6a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:23

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

58, i'd recommend whatever binoculars lusty is using for your lad.
They'd be the rose-tinted ones '58 Smile

7a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:23

The ones that can see through the walls of the macron from 300 miles away Wink

8a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:23

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

rammywhite wrote:All we can do is sit tight and wait for events to unfold.

Personally that's what I'm doing involuntarily. I've hardly looked at the takeover related threads for updates because any intel that doesn't come direct from the club is just noise now as far as I'm concerned.
Amazing how the most critical situation at a club for 30+ years can be turned into such an uninteresting subject.

9a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 12:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

y2johnny wrote:So let's start with Eddie.

Eddie came up with an invention to make a brew.  A truly brilliant one of a kind idea that is now in nearly every home in the country i imagine.

So he is a clever man, but that doesn't necessarily make him a clever business man.

He has clearly jumped at the chance of owning the football team he supports, something i could only ever dream of.  The problem lies that he has obviously had a lot of bad advice along the the way and now we are paying for it.

He has shut up shop and isnt splashing anymore cash.  Whether it is his or secret investors, who knows, certainly not us.

The club is going to change hands one way or another.  Hopefully without a 12 point deduction and hopefully with a bit of funding to strengthen the squad in january.  It ahould have been done sooner, in my opinion, but we play the cars we are dealt.

Going forward, it looks like deano has some at least one decent BUSINESS man backing him in property tycoon Peter Jones.  He also has a fair bit of wedge to back him up but the rumour is, that his dtake in the consortium is only minimal.

Again, in my opinion, this is the only consortium that gets mentioned and has seemed to gather pace.  Other consortiums may have been a tactic to get them to get their shit together.  Did they even exist?

The rumours and rife and we cant believe everything that is tweeted, reported on or whispered about.  99% is just bullshit.  Its a waiting game but one way or another the club WILL survive, we will continue to exist but at what level is really anybodies guess.

Hope you don't mind but I think there are one or two slight inaccuracies in your summary above.

Davies DIDN'T invent the kettle thingamy jigs personally, he was however the MD of the company that did.  When the firm was sold he received £93 million for his shares in the business.  This would imply that he most certainly was a very clever businessman at one time!

We can't really say what his agenda has been for the club, on the surface it does seem remarkably strange to run up such huge debts and retain a chairman for so many years as this has been happening.  I've always speculated that he must have had other strong business reasons for doing what he has done - maybe the aim was the development of land the business owns rather than the development of the team in recent years?

As for Peter Emerson Jones there is only speculation from something Iles tweeted that links him to a 'consortium' looking to buy the club - it may not even be the Holdsworth bid - although that seems to be the most obvious from the little bit of news we are told.

The only bit of good news out of all this is that Jones does have money and is a creditable and respected businessman and his link to the current goings on looks a positive thing for now.

10a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 13:03

I honestly thought he invented it himself. Nevermind. Good business man. Shite football club owner.

11a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 13:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:The ones that can see through the walls of the macron from 300 miles away Wink
Nearer 200 but my x-ray logic spans the globe.

12a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 13:50

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The 99% bullshit is just about accurate IMO.

Over the years we get ....."Player will be signed by Friday"  "In time for the next game" "money will be made available"  on and on etc....years of this nonsense.

Even with the takeover ......"Deal expected to be done by Friday"  "Announcement to be made Monday" etc etc.

As for big Eddie I can only presume it's some sort of tax fiddle. For example companies here buy office buildings or small shopping Malls and leave them standing empty......so that money gets written off against profits from other enterprises......somat like that.

13a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 14:20

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The negative comments about Eddie are at odds with how Wikipedia describes him as a "British businessman and philanthropist.

"Philanthropy[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

He is a former Trustee of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in London.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The Edwin and Susan Davies Galleries at the V&A are the result of charitable donations from Davies and his wife.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Those five galleries include 200 paintings by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He made a charitable contribution of £100,000 to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for the establishment of a coronary care unit.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

He also made charitable gift to the[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] part of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], which led to the establishment of the Eddie Davies Library.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] He received an honorary doctorate in 2008.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He became a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) for charitable services in 2011."

If this counts for anything, it rather suggests a man who is prepared to selflessly support interests that are close to his heart (via hefty financial contributions).....and friends have always led me to believe that his main passion was his precious football club. 

If all this is true, I'd say that his biggest fault has been his close friendship with and trust in PG, both betrayed by a man we know to be unscrupulous and inept.

14a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 14:33

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I wonder if the Eddie Davies Library contains a copy of Len Shackleton's autobiography which famously included a chapter headed 'The Average Director's Knowledge of Football' and consisted of just a blank page.

15a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 14:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he should sell a couple of paintings to pay the wages

16a simpletons view of events Empty Re: a simpletons view of events Thu Dec 17 2015, 14:54

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It is a bit simplistic but that helps to be honest because it's a pretty good summation of the facts we KNOW rather than the things we hope or fear are happening. Sadly the real information out there is sparser than Arthur Scargill's combover and there's less meat on the informational bones than you'd find on a Chinese gymnast on a diet. 

God alone knows when we're going to see anything substantive from the club but with no disrespect to Iles or Nixon it certainly won't come from them. I suspect we'll only know what's truly going on when Trevor Birch tells us after the event.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum