Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Marriage Pointless?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 09:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've never been married, it's not even crossed my mind to be honest. The closest I came was when a poster from a previous forum I used was so obsessed by me that he dumped his girlfriend and asked for my hand in marriage (it wasn't sluffy before anyone asks). And don't get any ideas Doffcocker.

Despite being a devout Christian I'm struggling to understand the relevance of marriage in 2016. Why do people get married? A friend of mine met a guy less than 6 months ago and they are getting married in April. When I asked her why, she simply stated "because I love him".

But is love enough? Love seems a very on-and-off emotion in my experience. One minute people are deeply in love, then 12 months later when the "love" has worn off they are wanting to kill each other. It's a sad fact that more marriages end in divorce these days than those that fulfil the "until death do us part" bit of the marriage vows.

Take the people on here, most of the posters over 35 are on wife number two or three. Most of the people I know over that age are divorced, and I'm sure most of the people you know are too.

So why do people get married? I really would like someone to explain why. What are your feelings on marriage? Do you regret getting married?

2Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 09:37

Never been married but i have been engaged 13 years in Feb Very Happy

3Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 09:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Never been married but i have been engaged 13 years in Feb Very Happy

So genuine question, why haven't you and your girlfriend walked down the aisle?

4Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 09:58

i'm pretty sure we have been through this before.

Just never got round to it.  we have a house and kids together which is a stronger bond than marriage.  She did say however that she wanted to have the same surname as the kids so would like to get married.  My suggestion or transferring 25 quid to her account so she could change it by deed poll didn't go over too well!

5Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 10:12

y2johnny wrote:i'm pretty sure we have been through this before.

Of course we have.

MC Natty W is the queen of the thread re-mix.

6Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 10:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
Just never got round to it.  we have a house and kids together which is a stronger bond than marriage.  She did say however that she wanted to have the same surname as the kids so would like to get married.  My suggestion or transferring 25 quid to her account so she could change it by deed poll didn't go over too well!

Well I applaud you and your girlfriend. You have redeemed yourself after the tattoo incident.

7Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 11:32

have you any tattoos nat?  love/hate on your knuckles i reckon.  or an anchor with mam underneath it!

8Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 11:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

None at all. I once got very close to having BWFC tattooed at the top of my thigh.

Thank fook I didn't.

9Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 11:35

Natasha Whittam wrote:None at all. I once got very close to having BWFC tattooed at the top of my thigh.

Thank fook I didn't.
because it might have got burnt in the singeing incident?

10Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 11:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:

Don't be personal.

11Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 11:41

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:

Don't be personal.
Very Happy

12Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 14:48

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I've been married over 41 years. It seemed a good idea at the time, and to be honest, I wouldn't change it if I could.
Oddly enough, I believe one of the things that made it stronger was when we were apart. Being in the forces. and another organisation. where I was away for anything from weekends to 6 months, I usually, where possible, rang home daily, (including, in 1987, a £3 per minute phone call from Ascension Island). I've always maintained that such calls meant that you were actually talking to each other, rather than mumbling in front of the TV, and of course getting home to see the family always made you appreciate them.
I'm now retired. (my wife is still working, by choice), and we just seem to have grown together over the years, (I've mellowed, and she is always right Very Happy )

13Is Marriage Pointless? Empty Re: Is Marriage Pointless? Tue Jan 05 2016, 14:49

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I've been married over 41 years. It seemed a good idea at the time, and to be honest, I wouldn't change it if I could.
Oddly enough, I believe one of the things that made it stronger was when we were apart. Being in the forces. and another organisation. where I was away for anything from weekends to 6 months, I usually, where possible, rang home daily, (including, in 1987, a £3 per minute phone call from Ascension Island). I've always maintained that such calls meant that you were actually talking to each other, rather than mumbling in front of the TV, and of course getting home to see the family always made you appreciate them.
I'm now retired. (my wife is still working, by choice), and we just seem to have grown together over the years, (I've mellowed, and she is always right Very Happy )

You've given me hope. Thank you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum