Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why do you watch football?

+8
bwfc71
Reebok_Rebel
Angry Dad
largehat
Numpty 28723
Reebok Trotter
gloswhite
doffcocker
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Why do you watch football? Empty Why do you watch football? Thu 14 Jun - 21:33

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Praise for Spain and their style of play is never-ending and I know people take pleasure from watching them play football, and I'm not one of them.
I'm not saying Spain aren't sublime, I'm saying they're sublime but so what?
I don't feel entertained by pretty football, unless I genuinely want the concerned team to win. So I would never go out of my way to see a match simply because the standard of football at least one of the teams plays is exceptionally high. I would have to actually have an interest in the outcome of the match.

2Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Thu 14 Jun - 21:53

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Agreed. These games are good, but you need some personal connection, doesn't always matter what, to enjoy it fully, which is why we will always follow the Whites games and antics, regardless. Having said that, I do like watching the Krauters.

3Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Thu 14 Jun - 21:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Really great teams only come round every so often. Barcalona and Spain are very exciting to watch. I thought they were brilliant tonight but the Irish were clearly outclassed. I reckon Spain will comfortably beat England if they play like they did tonight.

The beauty of football is that there are no givens. ( Apart from Shea )

Chelsea were not exciting when they beat Barca and Bayern but their fans wont care because they won the Champions league.

I wish Bolton could play like Barca but if they ever do I think it will be after my time.

4Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 0:03

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

When Barca & Spain play their fast inter-passing in and around the penalty area it's good to watch, Messi of course, being the greatest exponent of this type of game. But those teams are brought up on that style and many of them have been playing together for years and have developed some kind of understanding between them.

If you're talking really sublime football, the great Brazil teams from the sixties and seventies have never been bettered imo.

Swansea were getting rave revues last season but when they came to the Reebok it was so boring when they kept passing it across the back four time and time again and then back to the keeper who just stood with the ball at his feet for a couple of minutes. This kind of 'passing football' is just glorified time wasting. Liverpool had a decade of success as the great exponents of this style, (which is probably why they've gone for Rodgers as manager to try and bring it back again).

5Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 0:08

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree Numpty. If Swansea had spent less time diving and time wasting they would have probably got the three points their overall performance deserved.

6Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 0:26

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

largehat wrote:I agree Numpty. If Swansea had spent less time diving and time wasting they would have probably got the three points their overall performance deserved.

Made me laugh as well when Joey Barton wasted so much time fannying about placing the ball in and out of the corner quadrant the stupid cnut.

7Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 0:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's all gone quiet at QPR. I bet they are desperate to get rid of him. Why would you give such a supreme tosser a 4 year contract? They were seduced by his agent and the fact he was on a free transfer. He's going to miss 12 games out of a 38 game season and I bet he is on about 70-80k per week. He's spending his Summer getting into fights in nightclubs and being a pseudo-intellectual no mark on Twitter.

8Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 2:29

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Dutch teams of the 70's for me total football they called it, I have never seen better.

9Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 9:06

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I watch football becasue it is a beautiful game and I really genuinely enjoy it...

I enjoy watching any game, I even used to watch the conference when it was on ESPN, but its entertainment, that's all it will ever be. I feel detached from watching 'any' game...

except Bolton, bolton is a way of life for me, its not just about going to the match, I do feel genuine love and passion for them, they can make or break my week, everyday I find myself logging on to the internet, forums, news sites for any tit-bits of news i can get, I buy the shirts but never wear them, have a season ticket, spend most of my dispensable income on watching them... its bizarre, i dont ever recall a time when I 'became' a Bolton fan, its just one of them things I think I was born into, my whole family are Bolton, members of my family were at the burnden disaster (I have proof of this, think I posted on 606 about it, may post a thread here too) so i always had that natural affinity with them, ive never been interested in another team and never will be.

yes i wish we were better and bigger, but then on the flip side i think i wouldnt. I grudgingly like the fact that we are a small town club with a genuine small fanbase - I know that every person in the Reebok home ends come machday REALLY gives a fuck. i like that feeling. the European games will stick with me forever.

the bad times hurt me and make me angry, I wanted to get hold of Owen coyle at the last home game and tear him a new arsehole for not coming facing the fans...but these feelings pass after a day or 2 and the love comes back...it always will. anyway...im waffling now. Embarassed

10Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 10:40

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You might be waffling but you are spot on. It get's in your blood. I'm sure it's the same for all football fans really.

11Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 10:45

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok_Rebel wrote:I watch football becasue it is a beautiful game and I really genuinely enjoy it...

I enjoy watching any game, I even used to watch the conference when it was on ESPN, but its entertainment, that's all it will ever be. I feel detached from watching 'any' game...

except Bolton, bolton is a way of life for me, its not just about going to the match, I do feel genuine love and passion for them, they can make or break my week, everyday I find myself logging on to the internet, forums, news sites for any tit-bits of news i can get, I buy the shirts but never wear them, have a season ticket, spend most of my dispensable income on watching them... its bizarre, i dont ever recall a time when I 'became' a Bolton fan, its just one of them things I think I was born into, my whole family are Bolton, members of my family were at the burnden disaster (I have proof of this, think I posted on 606 about it, may post a thread here too) so i always had that natural affinity with them, ive never been interested in another team and never will be.

yes i wish we were better and bigger, but then on the flip side i think i wouldnt. I grudgingly like the fact that we are a small town club with a genuine small fanbase - I know that every person in the Reebok home ends come machday REALLY gives a fuck. i like that feeling. the European games will stick with me forever.

the bad times hurt me and make me angry, I wanted to get hold of Owen coyle at the last home game and tear him a new arsehole for not coming facing the fans...but these feelings pass after a day or 2 and the love comes back...it always will. anyway...im waffling now. Embarassed

Defiunitely not waffling there, at all, RR. I feel exactly the same.

12Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 10:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:He's spending his Summer being a pseudo-intellectual no mark on Twitter.

Are you related?

13Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 10:52

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Are you related?

Ouch!

14Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 10:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to love the atmosphere, that's what got me hooked. The sounds and the smells of Burnden Park were what made it such a great place to be, regardless of who we were playing.

Then the 90's came along where every game seemed to be a "cup final" and we really were in fantasy land, knocking over the big boys. Every big club dreaded getting Bolton in the Cup.

Then Sam Allardyce came along and we joined the big boys league and spent several seasons giving them a bloody nose, big name managers like Fergie & Wenger would whinge about the bullying tactics of Bolton Wanderers. It made me proud.

Then Gary Megson came along and the passion started to die. In me, but also in the football club itself. Players who couldn't give a toss about BWFC were signed on huge wages and the club began to die. Then came the final nail in the coffin, Mr Owen Coyle, with a fanfare of "passing football" and all out passion. In reality it was football without any direction and what little passion was left within the team was quickly snubbed out.

RIP Bolton Wanderers FC.

15Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 11:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I used to love the atmosphere, that's what got me hooked. The sounds and the smells of Burnden Park were what made it such a great place to be, regardless of who we were playing.

Then the 90's came along where every game seemed to be a "cup final" and we really were in fantasy land, knocking over the big boys. Every big club dreaded getting Bolton in the Cup.

Then Sam Allardyce came along and we joined the big boys league and spent several seasons giving them a bloody nose, big name managers like Fergie & Wenger would whinge about the bullying tactics of Bolton Wanderers. It made me proud.

Then Gary Megson came along and the passion started to die. In me, but also in the football club itself. Players who couldn't give a toss about BWFC were signed on huge wages and the club began to die. Then came the final nail in the coffin, Mr Owen Coyle, with a fanfare of "passing football" and all out passion. In reality it was football without any direction and what little passion was left within the team was quickly snubbed out.

RIP Bolton Wanderers FC.

No different from most clubs really. Nowadays in football it's all about the money. The big clubs get bigger and the rest of us are feeding off the scraps.

There are twenty teams in the Premiership but only three trophies to play for. Our FA Cup semi at Wembley last year will probably be our highest achievement for a number of years.

16Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 12:20

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love the way Spain and Barca play - It's football at it's absolute finest.

players drilled to death on the basics of the game, passing and moving.

Football IQ's through the roof an absolute masterclass.

I also enjoy teams that utlise wingers, Spurs for example, their first ball is usually out to Bale or Lennon who attack their man relentlessly.

Thrilling at times.

there's nothing worse than teams who pump aimless balls in the corner and feed off scraps, absolutely no tactics, no talent, no composure, no technique, no artistry, no style or flair.

Sadly under Megson and now Coyle we've become one of the worst culprits.

17Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 15:20

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:He's spending his Summer being a pseudo-intellectual no mark on Twitter.

Are you related?

I'd rather be a pseudo-intellectual than a lying fucker.

18Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 15:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Ha ha, raw nerve?

19Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 15:44

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

largehat wrote:I agree Numpty. If Swansea had spent less time diving and time wasting they would have probably got the three points their overall performance deserved.

Swansea got so many points because they knew how to keep the ball. If you have the ball the opposition can't do anything with it. So if you have the ball 60% of the game your opponents only have 40% of the game in which to score. It dramatically increases your chances.

And to know how to pass and retain possession is extremely useful in the attacking sense too. For obvious (I hope) reasons.

20Why do you watch football? Empty Re: Why do you watch football? Fri 15 Jun - 15:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Ha ha, raw nerve?

Why the fuck would that have hit a raw nerve? You post any bollocks you can think of to try and upset people. We're all wise to it. You're a liar and a sad human being. There is nothing you could say to offend me. You're a non-entity. You're inherently dishonest and vile.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum