Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Davies to Liverpool for £6 million

+9
Harold77
Lofty_Love
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
chipbutty
Bolton Nuts
Sluffy
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You can demonstrate anything with stats. Eagles scores more goals than Mark Davies, certainly, but does this make him a better player? I don't think so. Mark Davies had the highest pass completion percentage in the whole squad last season, there you go, we could play top trumps like this all day.

I respect your opinion and I enjoy your posts, and it is a game of opinions, but I can't take the idea that Eagles is better than Mark Davies seriously.

The minimum we should accept - and certainly from Liverpool - should be 6.5m + add ons for Mark Davies. If we fail to go up this season I would be happier to see him go at that point than this Summer. In my opinion we should be looking to build the team around Mark Davies and Stuart Holden.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I do agree that stats don't always show a players contribution, and Davies does have some good qualities and given time and games in which he can play his natural role he could develop into a quality player, but right now he ins't good enough and contributes very little to the team, and we have to get promotion.

It can't be disputed that he is poor at defending, and yeh his pass completion is high but they are very very rarely forward balls (hence the low assist count, pretty sure 2 of his 3 were penalties). So if, on top of him being poor off the ball and creating very few chances he isn't scoring many goals then I don't understand where this view of him being some fantastic attacking mid has come from.

He will improve in the future, but he isn't going to do much at Bolton.

6 million is a serious amount of money, especially for a player who won't be in our starting 11 this season.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Nixon says there is NO interest in Mavis -

Question to him via twitter -

do you know if Coyle rates Davo or would he prefer a decent fee and the money to spend on replacements

His reply -

There's no interest. So it's irrelevant.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So now Nixon knows who every football manager in the country is interested in, I'm impressed.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

In the close season the papers, especially the 'tabs' have to think up some stories to fill the spaces between the ads and the photos and this is all this is, a made up story. There is not the remotest possibility that MD will be a Liverpool player, even if he signed for nowt.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OneOinCoyle wrote:So now Nixon knows who every football manager in the country is interested in, I'm impressed.

he knows Coyle...

JakeSnake

David Lee
David Lee

Getting 6mill for Davies would be great and we could put that to great use...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

JakeSnake wrote:Getting 6mill for Davies would be great and we could put that to great use...

We could put it to great use, unfortunately it's Coyle who gets to spend any cash. In the highly unlikely this scenario ever happened expect the money to be spent on players he never picks.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote: In the highly unlikely this scenario ever happened expect the money to be spent on players he never picks.

That's such a retarded comment, how many players has Coyle bought and then not picked? 1.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

That's such a retarded comment, how many players has Coyle bought and then not picked? 1.

Virtually every player Coyle has bought or loaned in has ended up on the bench for not producing.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Virtually every player Coyle has bought or loaned in has ended up on the bench for not producing.

I can't be bothered making a list of players, and anyway, your point was about never picking players he has bought, not about them losing form.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I can't be bothered making a list of players, and anyway, your point was about never picking players he has bought, not about them losing form.

As usual you just want to take everything literally to score points.

He bought Sordell and didn't play him.
He bought Wheater and didn't play him (until he was forced to).
Various others I can't be arsed to list were in and out.

But my overall point is I don't trust Coyle to sign players.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Of course I take what you say literally, if I interpret it another way you can say "that's not what I meant", or "when did I say that?" or something else.

You should be thanking me for sticking to the point and addressing your opinion rather than accusing me of scoring points. I read what you post, take it on board, and respond to your specific points. Conventional wisdom is that this is a good thing to do on a discussion forum.

You make it sound like everyone we sign has a divine right to a starting position. When we signed Wheater we were about 7th in the table and both Cahill and Knight were playing well, why should Wheater have come straight in? He was signed to replace Andy O'Brien, not Cahill or Knight.

I accept Sordell should have had more of a run out come April and beyond, but again, when we signed him in January, K Davies and Klasnic were going through a period where they were coming off the bench and doing well, so they were ahead of him in the pecking order when he first signed.

Again, look, I'm responding to your exact points.

It's fine that you don't trust Coyle to sign players, but don't rewrite history. And remember, he was your first choice to be our new manager when Megson left, as you stated on BA. Don't rewrite that history either.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

£5 million not enough - yeah, right!

Wanderers are prepared to dig in their heels to keep hold of prized asset Mark Davies.

It is rumoured that Liverpool are preparing a £5million bid for the midfielder, who is due to return with the rest of the squad for pre-season training on Thursday at Euxton.

But the reaction within the club since news of the Reds’ interest broke has been one of defiance – and The Bolton News understands that any bid in the region of £5m would be rejected instantly.

Wanderers have confirmed they have received no official contact from Anfield, or Aston Villa who are another club said to be monitoring the former Wolves playmaker.

The club are not in a financial position where they feel they have to sell the player, and Davies is contracted to the club until 2015 after signing a huge four-and-a-half year deal in February last year.

Although the Whites seem to be holding all the aces, it is clear that if interest from a club the size of Liverpool were to be firmed up, then both Wanderers and Davies would likely have to listen.

Brendan Rogers is looking to bring in a midfielder after losing out to Tottenham on Gylfi Sigurdsson and considered bidding for the Wolverhampton-born 24-year-old whilst in charge of Swansea. But the new Reds boss – also a friend of Owen Coyle – does not appear to have been handed a huge budget by the club’s owners and may feel he can pick up a bargain from a club relegated last season.

The timing of the news has also been unfortunate for Coyle, who is hoping to keep hold of his strongest possible squad in order to make a quick return to the Premier League.

The players are due back in for fitness testing at the end of the week, and the Whites boss had certainly not reckoned on such speculation following one of his main assets into the pre-season schedule. He will want Liverpool to make their intention apparent as quickly as possible, although he is well-stocked for midfield options with new signing Keith Andrews joining Stuart Holden, Darren Pratley, Josh Vela and potentially Fabrice Muamba next season.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

largehat wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote: In the highly unlikely this scenario ever happened expect the money to be spent on players he never picks.

sordell Rolling Eyes

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
largehat wrote:

sordell Rolling Eyes

Well exactly, he's only done it once. Although it has still gone completely unexplained.

We need to make some signings of our own before next season, thinking of starting the season playing 4-4-2 with Mark Davies and Andrews in central midfield is draining the optimism out of me, if Davies was to go that would become Andrews and Pratley, considering Holden and Muambas conditions, and Coyle probably not being brave enough to play Vela.

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Mark Davies won 3 penaltys v Wolves,Villa and WBA id say they were assists.Playing him in front of Holden and Andrews with Petrov on the left and CYL on the right in a 4-4-1-1 formation, Sordell up top IMO would suit MD as he can get busy round the box ie 3 pens won.Winning games will install confidence in our team for when we rise again.Selling him IMO a no no.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum