Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Davies to Swansea? - LATEST - Now £6 million bid rejected!!!

+18
Born to be a wanderer
Michael Bolton
wanderlust
JakeSnake
Bernard Dennis Park
Reebok_Rebel
Angry Dad
largehat
Whatsupdoc
BoltonTillIDie
terenceanne
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
aaron_bwfc
Lofty_Love
Keegan
Sluffy
22 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Sky Sports understands that Swansea City have made an approach for Bolton Wanderers midfielder Mark Davies.

The 24-year-old has spent the last three years with the Trotters, having signed from Wolves in 2009.

He was unable to prevent Bolton from slipping out of the Premier League last season, though, and has fallen under the transfer radar of other clubs as a result.

The consistency of his performances in the last few years has caught the attention of Swansea, who are readying themselves for the start of a new era under Michael Laudrup.

With Joe Allen being heavily linked with a move to Liverpool, to link up with former boss Brendan Rodgers, the Swans could soon find themselves short in the middle of the park.

They have moved to ensure that does not happen by enquiring as to Davies' availability.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Sluffy on Thu Aug 16 2012, 12:04; edited 2 times in total

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

They can give us the proceeds of the Joe Allen sale.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:
The consistency of his performances in the last few years has caught the attention of Swansea

Don't often use this phrase but....

LOL !

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Ha that's a good one, he is one of the most inconsitent players we have.

As much potential the lad has I wouldn't lose sleep if he did leave.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll drive him to Swansea myself. To be fair I think he is consistent, consistently crap.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think he'd thrive there, They can play him just infront of their 2 mids who are excellent at holding the ball.

Gartisde took to twitter to declare this rumour "Bollocks" however.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MDavies was shocking at the back end of last season. Anybody that kept a close eye on him during that period won't be paying good money for him.

I hope we keep hold of him in the hope that he'll find his best form. With Holden out for god knows how long, our central midfield is looking frighteningly uninspiring.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Mavies has flashes and one good dribble per game ....this season he improves or we should try and get some good money for him. If he can't run a game in the Champs then he is not good enough for a starter.....good sub though if he would keep that role.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Mavies has flashes and one good dribble per game ....this season he improves or we should try and get some good money for him. If he can't run a game in the Champs then he is not good enough for a starter.....good sub though if he would keep that role.

Totally agree, I'd like to keep him for now, always hoped he come good has shown some signs of being decent but not enough...yet

Whatsupdoc

David Ngog
David Ngog

Thing is, Nixon is twittering that Sanchez is due to speak to us, and Cisse by all accounts looked good the other night, taking wages into account, 2 players for the price of one, jog on Mark.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Whatsupdoc wrote:Thing is, Nixon is twittering that Sanchez is due to speak to us, and Cisse by all accounts looked good the other night, taking wages into account, 2 players for the price of one, jog on Mark.

This.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Keegan wrote:
Whatsupdoc wrote:Thing is, Nixon is twittering that Sanchez is due to speak to us, and Cisse by all accounts looked good the other night, taking wages into account, 2 players for the price of one, jog on Mark.

This.

We have arguably the most technically gifted player in the division on our books. He is also young, English, and under long term contract. You two are both saying that it would be fine to sell him because we are interested in a couple of older, foreign free agent clogger midfielders - neither of whom you have seen play I expect - and the benefit is two players instead of one.

I'm not trying to be unkind, but fuck that. Ridiculous.

Whatsupdoc

David Ngog
David Ngog

largehat wrote:
Keegan wrote:

This.

We have arguably the most technically gifted player in the division on our books. He is also young, English, and under long term contract. You two are both saying that it would be fine to sell him because we are interested in a couple of older, foreign free agent clogger midfielders - neither of whom you have seen play I expect - and the benefit is two players instead of one.

Ok, so one player that turns up in one in 10 games gets sold, and we gain 2 players are hungry to impress, wheres the contest.

Whatsupdoc

David Ngog
David Ngog

largehat wrote:
Keegan wrote:

This.

Ok where is your evidence that Mark Davies is our most gifted player, ok he had his moments, but his moments of lacklustre is all I can remember, he flatters to decieve.................. sell him.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Whatsupdoc wrote:Ok, so one player that turns up in one in 10 games gets sold, and we gain 2 players are hungry to impress, wheres the contest.

Where do you want me to begin?

You have no idea if these two players are any good.

Even if they are good, they perform a completely different role to a player like Mark Davies. Therefore, neither of them is a replacement for Mark Davies.

We want to be back in the Premier League, we're all agreed on that. If we achieve this, Mark Davies is one of the few players on our books who has genuine class. Do I think we have got the best out of him yet? No. Do I think he is improving as a footballer? Yes. Does he only "turn up once every ten games?" - no - don't be obtuse. He was our best outfield player for large parts of last season and is the best passer of a ball at the football club. He's also one of the few players who can beat an opponent.

Are either of Sanchez and Cisse of an age where they are going to improve? Probably not.

Foreign mid-20s holding midfielders are ten a penny. Young, technical English players are not. We've just signed Andrews on a free, and there are two more such players, one on trial and the other reportedly keen to sign. What does this tell you about supply and demand?

If the club has any ambition to gain promotion it has to resist bids for Mark Davies. If the player comes out and says he wants to leave, that's a different story.

What does "hungry to impress" mean? What, like Darren Pratley was last season? He was definitely hungry to impress. It's a total intangible. It doesn't tell us anything about whether they are good players. Of course Cisse is hungry to impress, we're bigger than any of his previous clubs. Of course Sanchez is hungry to impress, we're bigger than any of his previous clubs too. This tells me that they are Championship players like Pratley. I could be wrong and one or both could be an sbsolute revelation - but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Mark Davies is one of the few genuine PL players left at the club, I can't believe you would be so blase about letting him go just because we've got a couple of Bosmans sniffing around.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Whatsupdoc wrote:Ok where is your evidence that Mark Davies is our most gifted player

1 - highest pass completion percentage at the club

2 - beats opponents for fun, wins penalties.

3 - Michael Laudrup wants to put him in his team which consists of a load of other technical players who play far superior football to any other comparable club in the country.

Mark Davies is a classy footballer, use your eyes. We should be building the team around him, not replacing him with a donkey on a freebie.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Hey, opinions can differ - I've seen it happen before. I think that Mark Davies has not been consistent enough to warrant keeping for the luxury of his one-in-ten (to quote my friend whatsupdoc) good game. We are short on experienced heads and we can possibly get one player who is an established international and who has played on arguably a more consistently high level than Mark Davies has so far plus another who 'provides a physical presence not seen in a Bolton shirt since Abdoulaye Faye' (can't be arsed to locate the source of that quote) and knows the Championship inside out. It is entirely possible that either player can contribute more over the course of a season than Mark Davies can and we are talking about getting them both. If this does not make any sense at all to you, I suspect we may have to agree to disagree.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Keegan I know what you're saying, but it's not an 'either or' situation is it? Nobody is suggesting that we can't sign a decent holding player or that they won't contribute because we've got Mark Davies keeping them out of the team. I just take major issue with the idea that because we might be signing one or two such players, that would make Mark Davies leaving somehow acceptable. Neither of these players appear to be the type of player who can fulfill Mark Davies' role. He will frighten opposition defenders to death next season.

I would hope and imagine that we are replacing Muamba and Reo-Coker with these water carrier types like Andrews, Cisse and Sanchez, not Mark Davies.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

That's reasonable and there hasn't been anything to suggest that they are meant to be anything other than additions to the squad instead of replacements. I am not pinning my hopes on Mavies in getting back to the Prem after our injuries situation last season, but I would be delighted if he were to prove the driving force in our triumphant return.

Mark Davies is a quality player who underperformed last season. He will be a massive hit in the Championship, I'll be gutted if he leaves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum