Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Davies to Swansea? - LATEST - Now £6 million bid rejected!!!

+18
Born to be a wanderer
Michael Bolton
wanderlust
JakeSnake
Bernard Dennis Park
Reebok_Rebel
Angry Dad
largehat
Whatsupdoc
BoltonTillIDie
terenceanne
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
aaron_bwfc
Lofty_Love
Keegan
Sluffy
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

largehat wrote:

If you want to talk about an expert in wasting money, you need to seperate Coyle, who has raised all his own money for transfers, from Megson, who spunked away 20-30M, and not be petty about every single signing, expecting every one to work out.

Don't get me started on Megson.

I agree that Coyle has found some excellent players at very little cost (Holden and Ream being the best examples). What worries me is what Coyle would do with a large amount of money. The two most expensive players he has signed are Ngog and Sordell. Ngog has had at best a limited impact and Sordell has played 37 minutes because ??

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:

Don't get me started on Megson.

I agree that Coyle has found some excellent players at very little cost (Holden and Ream being the best examples). What worries me is what Coyle would do with a large amount of money. The two most expensive players he has signed are Ngog and Sordell. Ngog has had at best a limited impact and Sordell has played 37 minutes because ??

These are young players, not the finished article. Particularly with strikers, we can't compete for top quality. Even second tier strikers - 10-12 goal a season men in the PL. Players like this; say, Grant Holt, Danny Graham, Yakubu, cost nearly 10m.

So we spend the money we can afford (3m-4m) on young players with an awful lot of potential and we develop them, knowing that even if they don't develop very quickly we can recoup most of what we paid, and if they do very well, we can make a big profit.

You say Ngog has had a limited impact and I would agree, but I would also ask what did you expect? Maybe 6-7 goals instead of 3? Fair enough, but he did an awful lot of hard work on his own up front last season, I believe he has been signed to replace Kevin Davies (Ngog won over 50 free kicks last season) and you're expecting a lot of impact for not a lot of cash. I say, wait and see how Ngog is as a player in a year or two's time before deciding he was a bad buy. See what he does for us and see how much we get for him when he eventually leaves.

Sordell is not dissimilar. I believe he was signed to replace Klasnic - again it is a case of a lot of potential, a lot of natural ability, but raw ability and a long term resale value. If you're disappointed about the amount of game time he got last season I can understand that, but you will see an awful lot more of him this season now that Klasnic has left, and again, evaluate his effectiveness as a player and the prudence of his acquisition when he has had chance to develop.

Criticism which can be leveled at Coyle for signing Ngog and Sordell as his "big money buys" isn't even in the same ball park as the criticism which should be levelled at Megson for signing players in their late 20s for big money such as Elmander, Taylor, Knight, Steinsson, Robinson, Ricketts - we have lost 30m on these players. It is criminal.

What would Coyle do with 8m from a sale of Mark Davies? He would probably sign 2 midfielders and put some in the kitty for January. At least 1 of these midfielders will have a resale value. I say at least 1 instead of both, because typically, effective holding midfielders tend to me mid-20s and older.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope Swansea are willing to buy Mark Davies for silly money - the new manager will need all the help he can get.

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

We need to keep Mark Davies. The more players we have that are capable of keeping Pratley away from the first team the better.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I have no idea what anybody's worth anymore

But my feeling is that £6-7m would be OK for a reasonably talented but flimsy player

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Totally in tune with what LH is saying above although I suspect Sordell was partially bought to replace BKD rather than Klasnic. What I've seen of Marvellous Marvin so far is a linkup player rather than an out and out striker a la Klasnic.
Makes sense if you have a worker like Ngog and pacy midfielders around him - could be something beautiful if it comes off and they all get plenty of shooting practice - far less predictable for defences than we have been recently. And while BKD remains there is another facet for defences to deal with.
I'd like to keep Mavies though - if he could shoot he'd be brilliant. My only concern is that playing this way we do leave ourselves open to counterattack and maybe we'll get away with it more in the C'ship.
It's a fine balance between selling Mavies to shore up the back/defensive mid and losing another good attacking option - which could leave us impotent at both ends of the park. Rather keep him for now and hope we can find a defensive combination that can be relied upon to keep the back door shut.
It'll be interesting and I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Hadn't noticed before but Jack Rodwell has signed for City for £12,000,000. Judging on that selling Davies for 8 would be the deal of the season for us.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Lofty_Love wrote:Hadn't noticed before but Jack Rodwell has signed for City for £12,000,000. Judging on that selling Davies for 8 would be the deal of the season for us.

Out of that how much would be given to Coyle and what would he spend it on... moe in the ilk of Zat Knight???

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

He would be given all of it, like he always has.

And he signed Wheater and Ream - our best defensive partnership, not Zat Knight, Zat Knight got his new contract because of Wheaters injury, otherwise he would be gone too

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ream was awful yesterday.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Who wasn't? In general Ream has played very well for us since he joined

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Ream was surprised by the pace of the game.

But he will learn IMO, unlike Knight i think he has the skills to actually become a good defender, he's also an excellent passer of the ball.

has a tendency to get caught under the ball at the moment thought.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

8 mill for Mavies is day light robbery. I'd take that right now....but only if those funds could be turned over pronto for a midfielder or two.
On the Ream debate ....I'm 50/50 nothing special that I can see and nothing much to complain about. If we are looking at MLS players then there have been some decent ones out there. Donovon, Dempsey .....not to mention Holden. That's an untapped market IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum