Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Davies to Swansea? - LATEST - Now £6 million bid rejected!!!

+18
Born to be a wanderer
Michael Bolton
wanderlust
JakeSnake
Bernard Dennis Park
Reebok_Rebel
Angry Dad
largehat
Whatsupdoc
BoltonTillIDie
terenceanne
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
aaron_bwfc
Lofty_Love
Keegan
Sluffy
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:

For once we have an over rated English player who's on a long term contract, they need to milk it.

we wont...

we never do...

we grab the readies and run Rolling Eyes

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

£6m does seem a fair offer for him, probably more than fair. But having said that, they got £15m for Joe Allen who is surely not worth that sort of money. And like bwfc1874 says, if Wolves are turning down £9.5m and £12m for players like Jarvis and Fletcher then we should not accept £6m for Mark Davies.

If Davies does go then blimey we've just about lost our whole midfield from last season - NRC, Davies and Muamba. I thought in those three and Holden we had a quality young central midfield to last many years.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

For once we have an over rated English player who's on a long term contract, they need to milk it.

we wont...

we never do...

we grab the readies and run Rolling Eyes

You just make things up..

Why do you think we are in £110 million debt and had to drastically cut our wage bill.. Gartside has never been tight pocketed about spending and doesn't looks to sell players on for low prices, we strung on the Cahill deal as long as we possibly could last year, AND all that money was given to Coyle to reinforce the squad.

Name 3 players in the last 3 years who we have sold for a poor price?

You will say:

- Cahill (who we got a great price for since he has SIX months left)

- Al Habsi (£4 million is a lot for a goalkeeper, I would say hes worth £5 million, so no great loss + pretty sure it was a pre determined price in the loan contract)

- And you won't be able to name a third.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

People usually name Anelka too.

And I'm yet to see a quote from anyone that "we would accept 8 million"

Unless of course Mark Iles is the new manager.

They took 15 million for Allen and then they want to take Mark Davies for 8?!? urm. Wise up guys, 12 million should be the minimum.

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

You dont sell your players if you dont have too.Mark Davies may be inconsistent some times.In the run in last year he won us 3 pens v Wolves,Villa,WBA he scored v Stoke becuase he gets in and around the box.What sell Davies and put Pratley in his place OMG.Wake up and smell the Coffee people.No replacement for me he stays.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What other midfielders can you think of that glide past defenders like Mark Davies does?

I can't think of many.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Lofty - I think we used to sell players a bit cheaply many years ago - i.e. Gudjohnson, Jensen, Curcic, Thompson, Stubbs, McAteer, etc. I thought we let all those players go at a very generous price and not make clubs have to break the bank for them.

To be fair, in recent years, other than Anelka we haven't had many players who had a resale value. We went down the road of signing players at the end of their career who had no resale value - Campo, Hierro, N'Gotty, Speed, Djorkaeff, Okocha, etc.

Some people may argue we sold Nolan too cheaply at around £4m but he was rubbish for us towards the end of his time at the club. I do miss Nolan though, I wish he was still a Bolton player.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:Lofty - I think we used to sell players a bit cheaply many years ago - i.e. Gudjohnson, Jensen, Curcic, Thompson, Stubbs, McAteer, etc. I thought we let all those players go at a very generous price and not make clubs have to break the bank for them.

To be fair, in recent years, other than Anelka we haven't had many players who had a resale value. We went down the road of signing players at the end of their career who had no resale value - Campo, Hierro, N'Gotty, Speed, Djorkaeff, Okocha, etc.

Some people may argue we sold Nolan too cheaply at around £4m but he was rubbish for us towards the end of his time at the club. I do miss Nolan though, I wish he was still a Bolton player.
I disagree with the first bit - thought we made a killing on most of those! Curcic to Villa was a superb offload at the right time. McAteer and Eidur cost nothing and although both did well after they left, the profit margin was excellent. Alan Thompson and Stubbs - great players but I thought we got market value at the time. I was sad to see all of them go but we were on the way back up and a selling club, so I don't think we could have got a penny more for them.
But you're right about Allardyce's glory signings though - all the money went into wages - but at least the players delivered and in that respect we also got our money's worth.
Most underpriced recently was Elmander but it was a case of that or nothing.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I would rather have two £4-5 million midfielders for the this season instead of Mark Davies, given the amount of games we have and that generally Davies was poor last season (Id say perhaps second worst midfield player of the season in front of Prats).

Great individual skill but he contributes very little to our team.

But of course if we were to sell now it would be cutting it pretty close, and I wouldn't want to be waiting until January, one man down, before we could actually use the money.

Lofty_Love wrote:I would rather have two £4-5 million midfielders for the this season instead of Mark Davies, given the amount of games we have and that generally Davies was poor last season (Id say perhaps second worst midfield player of the season in front of Prats).

Great individual skill but he contributes very little to our team.

But of course if we were to sell now it would be cutting it pretty close, and I wouldn't want to be waiting until January, one man down, before we could actually use the money.

The reason many think he was poor last season is because he wasn't played in position, if Coyle gets the formation right this year he will shine. The manager not being able to get the best out of a player shouldn't be the reasoning behind selling a player. He could be massive for us and if he were to go the price should reflect that. £5 million will get you a decent player, Davies has the potential to be a £20 million player though (Joe Allen, Jordan Henderson, Andy Carroll).

Best game I saw Mark Davies play was at home to Liverpool last season I thought he was outstanding. He was played in a 4-5-1 behind N'gog, put him there all season in the championship and he will destroy defences. Continue giving him defensive responsibilities in central midfield and some fans will continue to question his worth.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well thats kind of my point, if Coyle isn't going to play him in that position then he will be of no benefit, we can't just keep saying how good he would be if he was played there, because he continually isn't.

also Joe Allen, Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll are not worth that much, that was ridiculous spending , hence one of the reasons Liverpool were such a failure last year, its very rare a manager pays such stupid prices for obviously average players, Liverpool just got overexcited with the return of the King and let him do what he wanted.

Id be happy to sell and buy players who actually fit into Coyles plans, but only, as I said before, if we have immediate replacements, which we most likely don't.

£8-10 million is a lot considering our highest fee was £15,000,000 for Anelka.

Tbh I don't think hes going anywhere.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We should milk their wish to buy Mavies for every possible penny. They just got 15 for Allen, if they give us 12 for mavies they are still 3 ahead.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think Mark Davies is a better player than Joe Allen, and judging by the Swansea forum I've been looking at for updates on this (Planet Swans), the Swansea fans largely seem to too.

In spite of this, one of them posted that "Bolton are taking the piss" in turning down 4M for Davies last week.

The Swansea management (IMO) know they've rinced Liverpool for 15M for Allen and actually think they can then pick up a better replacement for about a third of that money. I'll be cheesed off with Davies leaves for less than about 10M, given that we owe Wolves a sell-on.

I believe Gartside when he says Davies is not for sale and that it would take silly money. It bloody well should.

JakeSnake

David Lee
David Lee

I'd accept £6million and Leon Britton... Otherwise £8-10million

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Screw Swansea, I want £12 million.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Two big assumptions underpin all those who advocate selling him for a big sum:

1. how much of the sale proceeds would Coyle be given to spend?

2. hands up all those who think he would spend it wisely (this is the man who gave Pratley a four year contract).

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

xmiles wrote:Two big assumptions underpin all those who advocate selling him for a big sum:

2. hands up all those who think he would spend it wisely (this is the man who gave Pratley a four year contract).

I think he would get most if not all of it tbh, he did last time.

And he is also the man who got Holden, Sturridge, Wilshere, Ream, Sordell on board (ok we haven't seen if Sordell will work but hes getting pretty high praise and id be shocked if he didn't have a good season with us) Everyone has bad signings, he has more good than bad IMO.

xmiles wrote:Two big assumptions underpin all those who advocate selling him for a big sum:

1. I think if he's sold Coyle will get the majority to spend, Gartside knows he needs to keep the fans happy.

2. I'm still 50/50 on Coyle's ability to buy a player, yes Pratley and N'gog (so far) are good examples of how poor he can be, but Holden's a good one, I think Ream will prove to be excellent, same for Mills, Wheater and Sordell.

I like his policy of trying to buy younger players, and that he's not afraid to take a risk on an unknown.

I would like to see us hold on to Davies though, its too late in the day to be going out looking for replacements, I think he'll be devastating in the championship.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:

1. All of it - as confirmed by Gartside at the fans' forum.

2. I don't see why Pratley wasn't worth a four year contract, he cost nothing and has a resale value. Blithely assuming any proceeds from a Mark Davies sale would be wasted is not a compelling argument not to sell him if a crazy offer comes in. He signed Ngog for 3.5-4m, lots of armchair experts on here slate Ngog all season, and yet Martin Jol wants him for Fulham - resale value. Coyle signed Sordell, and even though he hasn't played him yet - resale value. Mills - resale value. Wheater - resale value. Tim Ream - resale value. Marcos Alonso - hasn't done well - resale value/buyback clause in his contract. Holden - worth 10M if we can get him fit - I think that more than pays for the odd Robbie Blake or Darren Pratley anyway. In fact the only Coyle signing I can think of who cost a substantial fee and hasn't got much resale value is Mears.

If you want to talk about an expert in wasting money, you need to seperate Coyle, who has raised all his own money for transfers, from Megson, who spunked away 20-30M, and not be petty about every single signing, expecting every one to work out.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

^ I like this post ^

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum